Wordcraft Home Page    Wordcraft Community Home Page    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Wordplay    Bluffing Game: PERSEITY
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bluffing Game: PERSEITY Login/Join

<Asa Lovejoy>
posted
Since nobody jumped in after Jo, I'll toss y'all this bone to chew on: Perseity
Send daffynitions via PM or to ama11285@hevanet.com with the word as the subject.

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Oh, Darn! I had searched all weekend for one that would fool arnie...and I think I found one! I very methodically considered his knowledge of various languages and etymologies, the word Web sites he likes, and I made sure the word wasn't in either of the word books we had given him. Then, I made sure that Shu had never heard of it and wouldn't be able to define it.

I was just about to post it....

Someday, arnie, I will fool you! Wink

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Patience, young Jedi! :-)

Kalleh, you're next. The lovely part of words is that they stick around for a long time, even though they change.

Meantime, I'm in for Perseity, via PM.

Posts: 6267 | Location: Worcester, MA, USReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Ah, yes, I hope no one minds if I am next. In fact, that gives me even more time to stump arnie! I just hope he doesn't have a stroke of luck when it's my turn.

Asa, you have my definition by PM.

<Asa Lovejoy>
posted
I've only got five replies, plus the real definition, so far. Anyone else want to jump in on this before I post the daffynitions?

<Asa Lovejoy>
posted
The daffynitions:

1. Sloth (archaic)

2. The ability to pursue a task to the end, despite severe setbacks. From Greek mythology, Perseus, son of Zeus, who slew Medusa and rescued Andromeda from a sea monster.

3. noun (in medieval philosophy) The quality of those things having substance independently of any real object.

4. It really isn't a word. I made it up!

5. The quality of flaring briefly but spectacularly in the heat of summer, then subsiding. (Named for the Perseid meteor shower)

6. adverb: A psychological disorder in the family of obsessive/compulsive behaviours, resulting in an inability to abandon failed activities.

7. noun The quality of being oneself (From Italian per se "by itself")

Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
I'll hazard three please.

"No man but a blockhead ever wrote except for money." Samuel Johnson.

Posts: 9421 | Location: EnglandReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post

Posts: 915 | Location: IowaReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jerry thomas
posted Hide Post
. .. ... ..... THREE ..... ... .. .

Posts: 6708 | Location: Kehena Beach, Hawaii, U.S.A.Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Speaking for myself, I'll take #7. Though I would derive it fom Latin, rather than Italian.)

Posts: 6267 | Location: Worcester, MA, USReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
I thought the same thing, Hab, so I am going for 3.

posted Hide Post
I'll pick 5. It's probably not right, but I like the definition. And it would be a useful word, used in a figurative sense. Of course, it's probably 4!

Tinman

Posts: 2878 | Location: Shoreline, WA, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
<Asa Lovejoy>
posted
quote:
Originally posted by tinman:
I'll pick 5. It's probably not right, but I like the definition. And it would be a useful word, used in a figurative sense. Of course, it's probably 4!

Tinman

Tinman, did I goof and overlook your submited daffynition? If I did, you may come to Portland and kick me! Eek

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Asa Lovejoy:
Tinman, did I goof and overlook your submited daffynition? If I did, you may come to Portland and kick me! Eek

If you goofed, it's not my fault! I didn't submit anything, so you're off the hook there. I was hoping to get down to Portland this summer, but I never made it. I wasn't going to kick you, unless that's what it takes to get you to go to Powell's with me!

Tinman

Posts: 2878 | Location: Shoreline, WA, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
........four..Smile

Posts: 3737 | Location: Georgia, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
Three for me, please. Smile

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Posts: 10940 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Suddenly I feel much more confident about my choice. Wink

<Asa Lovejoy>
posted
As well you should, Kalleh, since it's the right one.

#1 was Bob Hale's

#2 was arnie's

#3 was the correct definition, picked by Bob Hale, Kalleh, Jerry, and , of course (!) arnie.

#4 was Kalleh's, picked by KHC

#5 was Haberdasher's, picked by Tinman

#6 was Jo's

#7 was Jerry's, picked by Haberdasher and Jo

OK, Kalleh, you're up!

Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
Interesting. I came up with a similar daffynition to Jo, but with a totally different slant.

Me: The ability to pursue a task to the end, despite severe setbacks.

Jo: A psychological disorder ... resulting in an inability to abandon failed activities.

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Posts: 10940 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
<Asa Lovejoy>
posted
quote:
Originally posted by tinman:
I was hoping to get down to Portland this summer, but I never made it. I wasn't going to kick you, unless that's what it takes to get you to go to Powell's with me!

Tinman

And I WAS up your way a few months ago, but was in a hurry. Oh, well, one of these days!