Wordcraft Home Page    Wordcraft Community Home Page    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Wordplay    Win a copy of Britannia in Brief!
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Win a copy of Britannia in Brief! Login/Join

Picture of arnie
posted
M Lynne Murphy's blog, Separated by a common language is running a competition; see here
quote:
Your task, should you choose to compete, is to write a (preferably humorous) limerick illustrating a US/UK cultural misunderstanding. Make your submission to the comments section. (Make them clean-ish, please.)
How about it, Wordcraft limericists?

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Posts: 10940 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
<Proofreader>
posted
I can't write "cleanish."

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
<Asa Lovejoy>
posted
"In brief?" You mean only in your knickers?

Picture of Richard English
posted Hide Post
Well I think I've posted one. Sadly the mechanism for doing so seems very unclear - I don't have a google account (whatever that might be) and the rest of the terms used I don't even understand!

Richard English

Posts: 8038 | Location: Partridge Green, West Sussex, UKReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
Richard,

Your comment hasn't appeared yet, but that may be because comments are moderated and it will appear later. If you don't have a Google or Blogger account there's no field for your email address so Lynn won't be able to contact you if you win. In such circumstances she wants you to email her: lynneguist@gmail.com.

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

posted Hide Post
I wrote to Lynne and she has suggested I post anonymously and show my name on the posting. The bad news is that I copied the limerick to the Windows clipboard and then forgot and copies something else - and overwrote my limerick. I have been told that it is possible to copy multiple items to the Windows clipboard - but I've never been able to make that facility work ;(

Richard English

Posts: 8038 | Location: Partridge Green, West Sussex, UKReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
quote:
I have been told that it is possible to copy multiple items to the Windows clipboard - but I've never been able to make that facility work ;(

MS Office has that ability, but not other Windows apps. There are however lots of clipboard extensions available as freeware that can be downloaded and used. There are even some shareware apps with lots of other bells and whistles, but I've never found much use for them.

<Proofreader>
posted
quote:
If you don't have a Google or Blogger account

This seems to be a common requirement to comment on many blogs, including Kalleh's. I was registered with Google but forgot my password and their convoluted means of restoring it totally turned me off, so I'm out of luck commenting in many sites.

Some sites also ask you to match distorted letters projected on a background which I cannot separate them from, thus rendering me (and I assume others with poor eyesight) mute on the internet.

Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
If you ever get a spam attack on your blog that takes you about six hours of constant work to sort out you will appreciate why these tactics are necessary.

"No man but a blockhead ever wrote except for money." Samuel Johnson.

Posts: 9421 | Location: EnglandReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
I see four of Richard's limericks appear as 'anonymous' comments now.

posted Hide Post
It seems it's easy to post anonymously but very difficult to post with your name.

I have managed to get over the anonymous nomenclacture by simply adding my name to the body of the posting.

Richard English

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
quote:
If you ever get a spam attack on your blog that takes you about six hours of constant work to sort out you will appreciate why these tactics are necessary.
Oh...for a spam attack, which would mean somebody is reading my blog. Wink

I will write one if it's not too late.

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
quote:
Oh...for a spam attack, which would mean somebody is reading my blog.

Not necessarily. There is software out there to post spam, know as a spambot.

Picture of wordmatic
posted Hide Post
Proof, often with those confusing letter-against-background thingies that verify if a live person is posting the comment, there is another link for people who cannot see the letters clearly. I've never tried it, but I believe it is a sound file to tell you the letters.

WM

Posts: 1390 | Location: Near Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
<Proofreader>
posted
quote:
there is another link for people who cannot see the letters clearly

I've never seen one, which may be another defect with the system.

Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
In that particular blog it's an image of a person in a wheelchair, the usual 'disabled' sign. Not sure how I'd feel about being labelled disabled in that way ....

<Proofreader>
posted
Well, at least it's better than a picture of a Cyclops.

Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
Lynne's made another post, warning in part:
quote:
I'm planning to announce the winner to the Limerick Competition tomorrow (that is, if I manage to contact all my co-judges by then). So act quickly if you have an entry to submit!
See my first post in this thread for the link.

'Tomorrow' would be 30 June. Remember she's in the UK, so if you're in the US tomorrow will come to her earlier than to you. Wink

Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
Congratulations, Richard! Big Grin

http://separatedbyacommonlangu...limerick-winner.html

posted Hide Post
Thanks, Arnie.

I did mean to post that I had won, but I'd forgotten where I'd heard of the competition.

Interestingly, several of those connected with this competition, as well as Lynne herself, live in Sussex. Maybe our loquacity is all to do with the seaside air.

Richard English

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Wow! Congratulations!

[We can all say we know him. Wink]

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
Gee, can I have your autograph?

Any old bit of paper will do, blank cheque for example.

"No man but a blockhead ever wrote except for money." Samuel Johnson.

Posts: 9421 | Location: EnglandReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of stella
posted Hide Post
Excellent, Richard! What a great limerick!

posted Hide Post
My prize arrived today and I am already reading it; it looks very good.

Richard English

<Proofreader>
posted
Now you can devote your energies to winning Bangor. 8-)