Wordcraft Home Page    Wordcraft Community Home Page    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Wordplay    The 3 words a woman longs to hear
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The 3 words a woman longs to hear Login/Join

posted Hide Post
M-W Collegiate (www.m-w.com)dates "monogamy" to 1612 and gives three definitions:

1 archaic : the practice of marrying only once during a lifetime
2 : the state or custom of being married to one person at a time
3 : the condition or practice of having a single mate during a period of time <monogamy is common among birds>

Although "-gamy" derives from the Greek word for "marriage", the word no longer is confined to such a literal sense.

"Primate Definitions" (members.tripod.com/uakari/definitions.html#M) gives the following definition:

monogamy: "The condition in which one male and one female join to rear at least a single brood." (Wilson, 1975)

And from an article "Online Athens" (www.onlineathens.com/1998/092598/0925.a3monogamy.html) "Study finds monogamy isn't even for the birds" By Paul Recer:

"Emlen said among the primates, the animal order that includes humans, only two monkeys, the marmoset and the tamarin, are truly monogamous."

Monogamy is not restricted to married couples, unless marmosets and tamarins get married.

Tinman

Posts: 2878 | Location: Shoreline, WA, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
<Asa Lovejoy>
posted
Would a same sex couple
be considered monogamous
Homogamous? Is that a word? Huh?

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
"Honey, I'm home!"

<Asa Lovejoy>
posted
Says Morgan, "Women would love to hear...

'Let's make love.'"

Seems to me it's the man who - ahem - longs to hear that.
red face

posted Hide Post
Seems to me it's the man who - ahem - longs to hear that.

razz

Picture of C J Strolin
posted Hide Post
The difference there is in each gender's concept of the term "making love." To women it's a leisurely dinner in a nice restaurant followed by soft lighting, mood music, and a caring and considerate partner who understands that the best lovemaking is a long wonderful process incorporating the needs and desires of both partners. In this sense, yes, "Let's make love" would be three words most women long to hear.

Unfortunately, to far too many men "making love" equates to five minutes of mad passionate animal rutting followed by a half hour watching sports highlights on the late news.

It's no wonder that "Let's make love" can be so easily confused...

Posts: 1517 | Location: Illinois, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Three words my husband loves to hear, and that most women would enjoy too: "I made brownies!"

Posts: 1412 | Location: Buffalo, NY, United StatesReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
quote:
It's no wonder that "Let's make love" can be so easily confused...

Yes, CJ. You have captured it precisely.

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
<Asa Lovejoy>
posted
t's no wonder that "Let's make love" can be so easily confused...
I find this to be an odd expression. It seems to imply sexual behavior, yet if love doesn't already exist, that is, if the couple haven't been "making love" for some time prior to sexual activity, how can they express that love physically and/or sexually? It really is a confusing euphamism.

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Good point, Asa. Making love does not always mean having sex and having sex does not always mean making love. Yet, most often they are each used to mean sexual intercourse.

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
<Asa Lovejoy>
posted
Good point, Asa. Making love does not always mean having sex
For an interesting perspective on this, see Sharon Olds' poem, "Sex Without Love." I think you can find it by Googling it.