Wordcraft Community Home Page
Scranton Poll

This topic can be found at:
https://wordcraft.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/410600694/m/8380057586

January 24, 2017, 00:04
BobHale
Scranton Poll
Well, I'm calling it.<BR>And I'm using that phrase in the sense that I've seen it used in medical dramas. This sucker is dead.<BR>For what it's worth here are the five entries from three people.<BR><BR>1.<BR>I moved from Manhattan to Scanton,<BR>Was it a change? I am pantin'!<BR>Fifth Avenue shopping?<BR>And all the bar hopping?<BR>They're gone! I am ravin' and rantin'!<BR><BR>2.<BR>My bookie's Enforcer is Anton<BR>And I hear he's been ravin' and rantin'<BR>So I gotta go hide<BR>But I just can't decide <BR>Between Pittsburgh, West Philly, or Scranton.<BR><BR>3.<BR>The anticonvulsant Dilantin<BR>and the antibiotic named Vantin<BR>Are the old and the new<BR>But not one of the two <BR>Is made in the city of Scranton.<BR><BR>4.<BR>A fancy young lady from Scranton<BR>Was dressed in her fine lace and satin.<BR>As she strolled down the way<BR>On a warm summer day,<BR>All the men were starin' and pantin’.<BR><BR>5.<BR>A young breaker boy named Stanton<BR>Worked at a coal mine in Scranton.<BR>As he broke up the coal<BR>And it fell through the hole,<BR>The dust and fumes left him pantin’.Vote for your favourite.12345

"No man but a blockhead ever wrote except for money." Samuel Johnson.
January 25, 2017, 18:29
BobHale
Who would have thought it?
The poll is even less popular than the competition.

January 25, 2017, 19:36
Kalleh
quote:
This sucker is dead.
Wow, I've not heard that here in the U.S. in my medical experiences, thank goodness. Wink

I guess we've all been a little busy. I know I've been out of town. And for me, Scranton just wasn't that easy.
January 25, 2017, 19:37
Kalleh
Vote, People!
January 25, 2017, 20:26
haberdasher
All right, I'll open the bidding at - 2 -. Just to hear myself speak.
January 26, 2017, 04:31
BobHale
quote:
Originally posted by haberdasher:
All right, I'll open the bidding at - 2 -. Just to hear myself speak.

You need to vote in the poll, not just the comments. And so far 2 doesn't have a vote so...

January 26, 2017, 06:41
haberdasher
Hah. I clicked the "2" button, but not the vote button.

Remedied.
January 26, 2017, 18:27
BobHale
What's going on here?
Two measly votes?
If you were all Chinese I'd understand it. It's Chinese New Year here and nobody is wasting time on their computers but YOU ARE NOT CHINESE.
Take two seconds to vote.

After all Americans especially should, at the moment, be only too aware of the consequences of not getting out to vote.

January 26, 2017, 19:26
Kalleh
Not sure, Bob. Activity here seems to ebb and flow. Remember the 30 some limericks? I miss that!
January 28, 2017, 16:19
sattva
I had originally entered one and then was cleaning out my private messaging threads and deleted it. I didn't re-enter it because, as usual, it wasn't very good. But while people are voting, I will share it just for FUN!

After Christmas with my folks in Scranton
We moved on to her folks in Canton
When on New Year’s Eve
I got down on one knee
Her dad, such cursin’ and rantin’.
January 28, 2017, 18:32
BobHale
I'm declaring number 2 the winner with 2 votes. Numbers 4 and 5 each got one vote.

And the entrants were

1 Kalleh
2 haberdasher
3 haberdasher
4 tinman
5 tinman

February 01, 2017, 19:47
Kalleh
Congratulations, Hab! Hopefully we'll have more limericks in the next game.
February 10, 2017, 20:41
Kalleh
Hab, are you too busy right now? If so, I am sure we can talk someone else into it for now.
February 11, 2017, 15:16
Greg S
Hi All,

Sorry I have been so out of the loop it's not funny, but it has been fun. On Jan 27 I believe I set a World Record, yet to be ratified by Guinness, on Jan 31 my Local Newspaper contacted me to do an article on it (Leader Local Newspaper Article). On Feb 1 I started my new part-time job at Kids Unlimited, meaning I now work 5 and a half days a week (haven't worked full time since 2009). On Feb 2 the Local Newspaper article was posted online, where the producer of the most popular Morning TV show in Aus saw it and contacted me, to do a story on it, which they recorded Feb 7, and it went to air Feb 9 (Sunrise TV Segment). This is my first rest day in nearly a month, so I decided to see where the limerick game was at, and I see it's been somewhat stagnant. Hopefully I will find a bit of time to play in the next game.

Regards Greg
February 11, 2017, 15:37
<Proofreader>
Good job, Greg. However I hate to tell you that the paper airplane record is actually in my grasp. I've designed a plane which ca circle the room with 100 house flies as passengers, including their luggage (which luckily is very tiny). I urge you to beat my record. By the way, beginning March 1, scheduled travel will commence to selected locations (such as my wife's pot roast).

This message has been edited. Last edited by: <Proofreader>,
February 11, 2017, 16:07
<Proofreader>
My airplane holds more than one fly
And the flies flit with ease through my sky.
I launch it to coast
To my wife's horrid roast
And I laugh as I wath the flies die.
February 11, 2017, 16:23
Greg S
quote:
And I laugh as I watch the flies die

So if the roast kills the flies, how the hell are you still alive?

Regards Greg
February 11, 2017, 16:51
sattva
Way to go, Greg!
February 11, 2017, 18:41
<Proofreader>
quote:
So if the roast kills the flies, how the hell are you still alive?

It predates our marriage. It was left to her by her grandmother.
February 11, 2017, 19:36
haberdasher
Just south of Worcester (MA) is Auburn (MA).

And if you come from the South you know that Alabama in the South doesn't get along too well with Auburn in the South, either.

What all this has to do with roasting flies and paper airplanes I don't know, but there did seem to be some kind of relationship when I started.

Besides, it's going to be tough finding rhymes for AUBURN, so forget about it.

On the other hand, just a bit to the west is SPENCER. We ought to be able to hire a good poet of two for that one. Right. SPENCER.

Continued there, wherever there is.
February 16, 2017, 19:53
Kalleh
Thanks, Hab! Greg, how exciting! Smile