Wordcraft Home Page    Wordcraft Community Home Page    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Wordplay    Bluffing Game - Lirp
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bluffing Game - Lirp Login/Join

Picture of Kalleh
posted
Okay, Wordcrafters, let's have a Bluffing Game word. This week's word is:

Lirp

Please send me your daffynitions via PM. If you are new to the game, please make up a fun definition that will fool those who don't know the word.

Let the game begin!

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wordmatic
posted Hide Post
Mine's in your mailbox.

Wordmatic

Posts: 1390 | Location: Near Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
I've got 6 now. How about a few more?

Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
sent

"No man but a blockhead ever wrote except for money." Samuel Johnson.

Posts: 9421 | Location: EnglandReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Last call for daffynitions. I will post them tonight.

posted Hide Post
Looking forward to reading themSmile

Posts: 52 | Location: Raleigh, NCReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Okay...here goes. Thanks for all the daffynitions!

The real definition of "lirp" is...

1) (n.) A pendent part of the old clerical tippet

2) n., (Inuit) a harp seal infant

3) A fool (cf. back slang- Lirpa Loof=April Fool)

4) The point on a cliff where talus begins forming

5) The original Protoindoeuropean reminder word; an abbreviation of "Thou shalt not use the word 'lirp' under any circumstances; violators will be prosecuted to the full limits of the law"

6) Vertical side member of a door or window frame

7) A tap dancing step involving a hop and quarter turn

8) A disease of ferns spread by snails

9) Adjective. To slurp while chirping. For example, "While enjoying my morning coffee I suddenly found myself lirping along with a Jimmy Buffett CD"

10) obs. rare a snap of the fingers; also v., to snap with one's fingers

Now make your selections!

Picture of wordmatic
posted Hide Post
I'll go with 4.

WM

This message has been edited. Last edited by: wordmatic,

Posts: 1390 | Location: Near Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jerry thomas
posted Hide Post
Rebmun eerht knaht uoy. (THREE)

~~~~~~ jerry

Posts: 6708 | Location: Kehena Beach, Hawaii, U.S.A.Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
"How much does it cost? FREE? I'll take ten!" he said, with a snap of his fingers.

Posts: 6271 | Location: Worcester, MA, USReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post

"No man but a blockhead ever wrote except for money." Samuel Johnson.

Posts: 9421 | Location: EnglandReply With QuoteReport This Post
<Asa Lovejoy>
posted
Just to prove I am one, I'll say it's #3.

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
I'll go for 10.

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Posts: 10940 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Any more "lirpers?"

I'll post answer this weekend, but I'd like a few more guesses.

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Sunday evening the answers will be posted. Please feel free to change your choices up until then. Are you 100% sure of your answers?

BTW, Jerry, I cannot see how I "edited" your submission. Please let me know my mistake via PM, and I am very sorry.

Picture of wordmatic
posted Hide Post
ya mean....nobody's guessed it yet? Eek

Wordmatic

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
No...somebody had "poster's remorse," and I thought I'd give that person another chance.

So here goes...the big winners are Hab and arnie. They didn't guess; they knew it. I am impressed!

I suppose I am the big loser because no one guessed my daffynition and 2 guessed the word's real definition.

1) (n.) A pendent part of the old clerical tippet - Kalleh's daffy; guessed by no one. It is one of the definitions of "liripoop." The other is a silly person, but that was too close to Bob's

2) n., (Inuit) a harp seal infant - Hab's daffy; no one guessed it

3) A fool (cf. back slang- Lirpa Loof=April Fool) - Bob's daffy; lirped Asa and Jerry

4) The point on a cliff where talus begins forming - Asa's daffy; guessed by Wordmatic

5) The original Protoindoeuropean reminder word; an abbreviation of "Thou shalt not use the word 'lirp' under any circumstances; violators will be prosecuted to the full limits of the law" - Jerry's daffy; guessed by no one

6) Vertical side member of a door or window frame - arnie's daffy; guessed by Bob

7) A tap dancing step involving a hop and quarter turn - Wordmatic's daffy; guessed by no one

8) A disease of ferns spread by snails - Another from Wordmatic; guessed by no one, but I loved it!

9) Adjective. To slurp while chirping. For example, "While enjoying my morning coffee I suddenly found myself lirping along with a Jimmy Buffett CD" - daffy by elledee; guessed by no one...my personal favorite!

10) obs. rare a snap of the fingers; also v., to snap with one's fingers The real thing; posted in Grandiloquent online dictionary, WWFTD, and the online OED; Hab and arnie got it right!

<Asa Lovejoy>
posted
Since "talus" has both a geologic and a physiologic meaning, I could just see Kalleh envisioning a pile of ankle bones tossed over a cliff! Roll Eyes

Reply With QuoteReport This Post