Wordcraft Home Page    Wordcraft Community Home Page    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Wordplay    Bluffing Game/Petrichor
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bluffing Game/Petrichor Login/Join

posted
No one has started a new bluffing game. So, I thought I would use this word. I hope some of you don't know the meaning. I learned this word in the last year or so. Please, send me your daffynitions for the word:

Petrichor

posted Hide Post
Mine's in. Thanks for picking a new word!

Posts: 6168 | Location: Muncie, IndianaReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Besides Geoff, I didn't get any takers on this. Maybe, everyone knew this word! Anyway, I thought I would just let this quietly disappear.

I am taking a week away to do a personal retreat starting tomorrow evening and won't be posting during that time. Be well, all Smile

Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
Well I'll send one...

"No man but a blockhead ever wrote except for money." Samuel Johnson.

Posts: 9421 | Location: EnglandReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
Done

posted Hide Post
Got your pm, Bob. Thanks!

For anyone else who wants to add a daffynition, I won't be posting them for at least a week so feel free to pm them to me. Taking a week off from posting and reading online.

posted Hide Post
Today is day four of my week off and have some extra time, so I am checking online. I still only have two entries on this, Bob's and Geoff's. Thank you, both!

Waiting for more daffynitions!!!

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Sorry, Sattva. I have been sick. Just sent you one!

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kalleh:
Sorry, Sattva. I have been sick. Just sent you one!

Sorry, you have been sick! Thanks for sending in a limerick.

posted Hide Post
Kalleh, if you've got what I've got you'll be sick for two weeks. Ugggg... Gasp... Choke...

Picture of bethree5
posted Hide Post
O no, you too, Geoff. Must be sweeping the nation. My sis & spouse in upstate-NY both down with it. I highly recommend my personal immune-sys-builder, working w/ at least 90 preschoolers/wk. The onslaught of germs is continual & fierce. First 3 yrs guaranteed back-to-back viruses. After that: Superman/woman! Flu shots shmu shots!

Posts: 2605 | Location: As they say at 101.5FM: Not New York... Not Philadelphia... PROUD TO BE NEW JERSEY!Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Here are the entries. Some of you were obviously thinking similarly. Smile

Choose two. Choose the one you think is correct and the one you think is the most creative!

Petrichor is:

1). Nineteenth century word coined for petroleum gas, but now obsolete.

2). Latin rock song.

3). Stone circle.

4). A villain from "He-Man and the Masters of the Universe".

5). A rare blood disorder in which the blood becomes dessicated turning to a red powder in the veins. Always fatal.

6). The smell of earth after rain.

7). Gr. petros, rock and khoreia Dancing in unison. Rock and roll dancing

8). The bloom on red grapes.

9). The sweet smell in the air when you arise after an early morning thunderstorm.

10). An air-operated diaphragm pump suctions the sludge, fuels and water through a hose or lance to a discharge tank for removal.

11). A style of dance created by the dancer and choreographer “The Great Petrov”, Peter P. Peters, which combined ballet with elements of tap and jazz.

12). A type of metamorphic rock containing an unusually high percentage of the mineral Akrochordite.

13). A land rich in petrified rock.

14). A Scottish dialectical word referring to a layer of soil, usually 2 or 3 feet below the surface, which is composed of densely packed rock and impedes drainage and plant growth. Similar to hard pan, but while hard pan is mostly clay, petrichor is mostly rock.

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
My favorite daffies are two very similar ones: #6 and #9.
Real definition: I am going for something outside of petroleum or rock. #8?

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bethree5:
Flu shots shmu shots!
Shmoo? Ya mean this critter?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shmoo

posted Hide Post
I like #9, but it's probably ozone you're whiffing. I like #11's terpsichorian slant. Hmmmm... Makes me wonder what ever happened to Museamuse? #12 seems plausible; #14 seems fanciful. Just because it doesn't fit in with the rest I'll guess #4.

Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
I like the nerve of 2. I go for 6., however. as the true answer.

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Posts: 10940 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am curious about something. I sent a PM out to more than one person on the same subject. I actually realized later that I forgot several people, but that isn't what I am wondering about. So, several people replied to that. Did everyone get those replies? If so, this game is probably a moot point, except for the creativity part. Sorry!!!!

Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
I'll try 8 as the real one and 11 as the most creative.

posted Hide Post
I pick 6 as the real definition. 9 sounds almost the same. The only medical one, 5, seems the most creative.

Edited to correct typo.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: tinman,

Posts: 2878 | Location: Shoreline, WA, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
Given that 6 is almost certainly right (arnie chose it Big Grin) then how does 9 differ substantially from it? If 6 is right, then did the creator of 9 misunderstand the game or come up entirely coincidentally with something so remarkably similar?

posted Hide Post
All will be answered in due time Smile or at least after a few more people vote!

posted Hide Post
Sattva, I was confused by the group PM. What was that about? I got it, but I don't get it!

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
quote:
I am curious about something. I sent a PM out to more than one person on the same subject. I actually realized later that I forgot several people, but that isn't what I am wondering about. So, several people replied to that. Did everyone get those replies?

I got a PM from you according to my email, but when I went to answer it on WC, it was gone. I surmised that you had deleted that PM. If the starter of a PM deletes it, it is deleted from everyone's boxes.

Yes, I agree with Bob about 6 and 9 being similar. That's why I didn't choose either 6 or 9 for my answer. I thought they were very clever, though - both of them.

posted Hide Post
I will post the results either tomorrow night or on Sunday. Those who haven't voted and want to, please do so before then. Thanks!

posted Hide Post
I'll take 4 for cleverness and 6/9 for real.

Posts: 6267 | Location: Worcester, MA, USReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Here are the results:

Arnie
1) Nineteenth century word coined for petroleum gas, but now obsolete.

Bethree3
2) Latin rock song. Arnie liked the verve of this.
3) Stone circle

BobHale
4) A villain from "He-Man and the Masters of the Universe". Geoff thought this one by Bob was correct.
5) A rare blood disorder in which the blood becomes dessicated turning to a red powder in the veins. Always fatal. Tinman thought this was the most creative.

Correct
6) The smell of earth after rain. This is the most common definition, and of course, #9 is very similar. Kalleh named this as one of her favorites, along with nine. Arnie and Tinman both said this was the correct one.

Geoff
7) Gr. petros, rock and khoreia Dancing in unison. Rock and roll dancing

Haberdasher
8) The bloom on red grapes. Kalleh and BobHale chose this as the correct definition.
9) The sweet smell in the air when you arise after an early morning thunderstorm. This is the one that threw everyone. Haberdasher must have come upon this word at some point, but didn’t remember the definition consciously, until that is, he saw the correct definition in the list given. I consider Haberdasher’s definition not the correct one though, as petrichor has nothing to do with an early morning thunderstorm. The definition I used is not a complete definition, but it is the one I first learned on The Weather Channel. Petrichor occurs and is most noticeable when rain occurs after a dry spell and when the rain is gentle. For more information click here. .

Kalleh
10) An air-operated diaphragm pump suctions the sludge, fuels and water through a hose or lance to a discharge tank for removal.

Sattva
11) A style of dance created by the dancer and choreographer “The Great Petrov”, Peter P. Peters, which combined ballet with elements of tap and jazz. BobHale chose this as the most creative. For how I came up with this daffynition click here.

Tinman
12) A type of metamorphic rock containing an unusually high percentage of the mineral Akrochordite. I am choosing this one because if I didn’t know the real one, this is what I would have chosen as correct.

13) A land rich in petrified rock.

14) A Scottish dialectical word referring to a layer of soil, usually 2 or 3 feet below the surface, which is composed of densely packed rock and impedes drainage and plant growth. Similar to hard pan, but while hard pan is mostly clay, petrichor is mostly rock.

One last note, Geoff had four that he liked, besides choosing the one he thought was correct. He liked, 9, 11, 12, and 14!

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Nice game, Sattva - and what a great word!

Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
Excellent word. If no one minds I'm going to jump right in with another...

posted Hide Post
Thanks Kalleh and Bob. Now, I will put petrichor on my list in the Favorite Things thread. Bob, I think that's a great idea! Go at it.