Wordcraft Community Home Page
Limerick Game: Scranton

This topic can be found at:
https://wordcraft.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/410600694/m/8590004586

December 19, 2016, 21:14
BobHale
Limerick Game: Scranton
I just rewatched all of US version of The Office (except the episodes with Catherine Tate of course) so let's have the city where it's based - Scranton.

Plenty of time for this as I won't be around again until December 27th.

"No man but a blockhead ever wrote except for money." Samuel Johnson.
December 21, 2016, 20:43
Kalleh
Scranton it is! I don't think I've ever been there, so I don't know for sure, but it sounds like somewhere I'd not want to live. And I almost always want to move to cities I visit so that would be rare.

I get on with the "best of 2016" limericks this week too. It sounds fun!
December 25, 2016, 14:22
bethree5
Good ole Scranton. Have had to travel through/ by it for many yrS, as a metro-NY/NJ dweller who grew up in Finger Lakes area of upstate NY. Back in the day it was known for having an eternally-burning underground fire much like another [alleged] location. It was known back then by many Pennsylvanians as the Armpit of the Nation. It is perhaps much improved now (or has simply lost that cachet, eclipsed by other armpits?)
December 26, 2016, 07:06
BobHale
One? ONE? ONE!

I go away for six days leaving something as easy as Scranton and return to find one entry!

And that one I got before I even went.

December 26, 2016, 19:17
sattva
Holidays are busy times. After all the craziness, we need time to recuperate. We might need, oh, say a month or so to do this Wink
December 26, 2016, 19:37
Kalleh
Yeah, there haven't been many posts, either. I also find it a very hard word. I'll do one tonight, Bob.
January 02, 2017, 17:17
BobHale
Fourteen days and four entries from three people. (I thought there was another but it doesn't seem to be there now.)

Holidays are over folks. Write me a limerick or two.

I'll accept "...in'" rhymes as I know that certain US accents have the sounds almost rhyming. LIke this.

Bob's choice, for the next word game, "Scranton"
Had most of the wordcrafters pantin'
This town that 's before us
They screamed in a chorus
Has all of us ragin' an' rantin'.

January 02, 2017, 18:42
haberdasher
Did you get mine?
January 02, 2017, 20:40
sattva
And mine?
January 02, 2017, 21:05
Kalleh
None of those rhymes work in my accent, Bob. (Just kidding! Big Grin)

Mine is in as well, right?
January 02, 2017, 23:53
BobHale
They don't rhyme in mine either but who cares? Those are indeed the ones I have.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: BobHale,

January 03, 2017, 05:48
haberdasher
quote:
Originally posted by BobHale:
They don't rhyme in mine either but who cares?

Isn't the problem that that final syllable is a schwa? Not a -ton, not a -tin, not a -ten. It's more a non-pronunciation, and morphs into whatever is local.
January 11, 2017, 08:52
bethree5
Glad to see this thread still open, maybe I'll even get one in! Choral madness is worse than usual this yr, as for some reason one of my oratorios decided to do TWO Jan concerts, doubling rehearsals. Sorry for rantin' but it's all got me pantin'.
January 17, 2017, 21:17
Kalleh
Wanting to vote! In Community Bob says he'll be back on the 19th.
January 21, 2017, 01:13
BobHale
And I am indeed back but checking my private messages I now have only three entries from two people. One of the ones that was there before has gone. Did someone delete it from their sent messages which would also get rid of it here?

I can't run the game with just three. I'll post them with attributions on Monday if I haven't had any more.