Wordcraft Home Page    Wordcraft Community Home Page    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Wordplay    Limerick Game Poll: Page
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Limerick Game Poll: Page Login/Join

<Proofreader>
posted
Once more I've reset the poll, Geoff's is not corrected (I thhink) so the votes are back to zero. If you voted before, your vote has been deleted and you have to vote again. Please make your selection and vote accordingly.

Question:
1.Worn out working hard for a wage,
A pretty young poppet from Page
Resigned from her role
For a job on a pole,
While dancing round starkers on stage.

2.Met Miss Susie near Page, Arizona
She learned to blow horn from sister (Winona)
Having hailed from Tuba City
It was ironic and witty
When they nicknamed her (the horny) Susiephona

3.Banned from moving a cactus in Page,
The homeowner flew into a rage.
He sat down in his knickers
And shot off its prickers
With a shiny new Daisy 12-gauge.

4. I hear Hopalong, once all the rage
As he galloped across sand and sage
Used a camel, not horse,
To complete the dry course
As he headed for parts now called Page

5. A geezer who lives down in Page
Causes concern and outrage.
With a shit-eating grin
From brown nose to brown chin,
The geezer’s an old coprophage.

6. There's not much to do down in Page.
Just coyotes, jack rabbits and sage.
The tavern is closed, and
Man, are you hosed!
The hookers are all under age.

7. There’s a city that’s really the rage;
It’s gorgeous and quite young in age.
So crack a Corona,
In dry Arizona,
And visit historical Page!.

Choices:
One
Two
Three
Four
Five
Six
Seven

This message has been edited. Last edited by: <Proofreader>,

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Ah, well. Proof forgot about mine. Here it is:

There's a city that's really the rage;
It's gorgeous and quite young in age.
So crack a Corona,
In dry Arizona,
And visit historical Page!

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
<Proofreader>
posted
I'm sorry I missed at least two. I posted everything I had but my computer problem the other day may have been the cause. I've looked in several files and can't find either of the missing lims. Blame Bill Gates.

Picture of Greg S
posted Hide Post
You can call for the other person who you missed to send it to you again ASAP, and then you can Edit the Poll and add Kalleh's and the other, which will reset the voting to zero votes for all, and we go again.

Regards Greg

Posts: 991 | Location: Melbourne AustraliaReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
I voted. I'll vote again if the poll gets reset.

"No man but a blockhead ever wrote except for money." Samuel Johnson.

Posts: 9421 | Location: EnglandReply With QuoteReport This Post
<Proofreader>
posted
The problem with revising the poll is that Kalleh has already posted hers and Geoff's other one would be easily picked out from the first posted, giving both either a disadvantage or advantage (depending on your viewpoint). However, if there is a consensus that that is what should be done, I'd need Geoff to resend his and I'll just copy K's.

posted Hide Post
Well, if my vote counts, I vote to get them all re-posted.

Posts: 244 | Location: ColoradoReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
Yes, I think we should start again.

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Posts: 10940 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
<Proofreader>
posted
I'll post again once I get a copy of Geoff's lim.

Picture of Greg S
posted Hide Post
I agree. By the way Proof it wasn't necessary for you to tell us that Geoff's was the other missing one.

Regards Greg

posted Hide Post
My second one was an edit to the first one. Check your PM with my original. It's there, FWIW - which ain't much. Big Grin

It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society. -J. Krishnamurti

Posts: 6168 | Location: Muncie, IndianaReply With QuoteReport This Post
<Proofreader>
posted
I do not have anything else to post, Geoff. My computer went haywire the other day and corrupted a bunch of files. Some of my e-mails disappeared along with other files, and it seems your's and Kalleh's were among them. So you'll have to send me another copy ASAP.

posted Hide Post
OK, check your latest PM. If it's still not there, don't worry about it; I might just be hallucinating. Confused

It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society. -J. Krishnamurti

<Proofreader>
posted
READY SET GO!
Try, try again.

Picture of Greg S
posted Hide Post
5 and 6 are the same. Perhaps you should remove one or put in the one you meant to?? - before anybody starts voting again.

Regards Greg

posted Hide Post
Here's what it was supposed to be:

There's not much to do down in Page.
Just coyotes, jack rabbits and sage.
The tavern is closed, and
Man, are you hosed!
The hookers are all under age.

<Proofreader>
posted
I need new glasses.

Poll is now up to par, I hope.

Vote early and vote often.

I thought everyone should know it was all caused by my overtime work as an electrician at the Super Bowl.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Proofreader:
I need new glasses.
One for whiskey; the other for...?

quote:

Vote early and vote often.

I tried. Doesn't work. Damn.

PS: Obama's looking for a speechrighter.

Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Proofreader:

I thought everyone should know it was all caused by my overtime work as an electrician at the Super Bowl.

Thirty-four minutes to find the light switch? I'm not employing you as my electrician. Damn near cost the Ravens the game. They lost momentum completely after the blackout. They were lucky to hang on to enough of the lead.

(Incidentally I can't work out why the download I found for the game took out ALL of the advertising and half time show but left in all thirty four minutes of nothing happening while the power was off.)

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
And I can't believe you know so much about American football, Bob. I am impressed!

I was rooting for Jim and the 49ers. Someone said that when the game was over, the parents would immediately call the losing son and sympathize with him...because parents are only as happy as their unhappiest child. Isn't it the truth?

Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
But immediately before the power outage that was one hell of a kick return - 109 yards!
And then after the lights came back on the Baltimore offense seemed to have gone off the boil while the 49ers were like a new team.

posted Hide Post
Are you willing to declare #1 the winnah? Looks like a sure thing. I'm guessing it was either Bob's or Greg's.

<Proofreader>
posted
Anyone object to calling number one the winner?

posted Hide Post
My guess/is/that three are in favor and two against...... Big Grin

Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
COuldn't be me. I was on holiday in Beijing. I have an alibi.

No, I didn't submit this time round, though I have voted.

<Proofreader>
posted
Tom wrote number two,’
Bethree5 three and four,
Geoff submitted numbers five and six,
Kalleh tossed off number seven ,
And Greg S penned number one,

the winner.

posted Hide Post
Number 3?

Picture of bethree5
posted Hide Post
Number 3? That was me.
I was torn 'twixt one & six.
Six refers lots to location;
One won with its alliteration.

Posts: 2605 | Location: As they say at 101.5FM: Not New York... Not Philadelphia... PROUD TO BE NEW JERSEY!Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
I had trouble with the meter in #1. While I do not focus on the technicalities of these limericks, they do have to sound like a limerick to me. Perhaps it's my accent.

Mine was more an ad for the city than a real limerick, I suppose (not funny). However, that little 5-liner sure was packed with a lot of information about the city. And at least to my ear the meter and rhymes were perfect.

1) Historical: It was founded in 1957 as a housing community for workers and their families during the construction of nearby Glen Canyon Dam on the Colorado River. Its 17-square-mile site was obtained in a land exchange with the Navajo Nation.

2) Gorgeous: The city is perched atop Manson Mesa at an elevation of 4,300 feet (1,300 m) above sea level and 600 feet (180 m) above Lake Powell.

3) Young in age: It's a very young community.

4) We all know Arizona is dry...and Corona, from Mexico, is a drink of choice.

So, while it got no votes, I had researched it and tried to make it fit the real city.

[fixed typo]

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Kalleh,

Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
I had no problem with the meter in #1 but I couldn't figure out the meter in #2 at all.

Strange isn't it?

Picture of Greg S
posted Hide Post
Hi Folks,

Thanks for the votes people. I would have voted for yours Kalleh, but the result was known before I got around to voting. I was pretty happy with the scansion in mine, but maybe there's a word or two in there where we emphasise different syllables and that can make a limerick as hard to approve of as one where the rhymes don't match your pronunciation.

Haven't decided yet but for the next game I am thinking of a suburb just next to the one where I now live, an eastern suburb of Melbourne called Box Hill. There could be an interesting rhyme or two there if people choose to rhyme both syllables. I grew up not far from there and it was a typical Melbourne Eastern suburb, inhabited by white Caucasians, of mainly British descent, with a smattering of Greek, Italian and various Asian nationals, but now you would swear you would swear you were in China. The shops that don't have dual language signage, only have Chinese signage, and the British descendants like myself are few and far between.

What do you all think? If people think it seems OK I will put up a new thread for it on Sunday, when I return from a 21st in Victoria's second biggest regional city called Ballarat. Perhaps you would prefer that as the next game?

Regards Greg

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BobHale:
I had no problem with the meter in #1 but I couldn't figure out the meter in #2 at all.

Strange isn't it?

Haha....well, I don't think I'm near the "wordsmith" all the folks who frequent here are, and have to do an internet search for half of what you all say, (well, not half, I am exaggerating there). I had to look up "coprophage". It certainly brought light to that limerick for me. I might have voted for that one, but it painted a pretty gross picture for me. I think I liked them all, but number one stood out as a more "classic" limerick (to me, not knowing what makes a good limerick that is).

I am no poet and this was my first attempt at a limerick. I don't know what a "meter" is in terms of rhyme. (I mean vs. distance). but that is my next search.

I did struggle with trying to figure out how many syllables to get in each line (is that your "meter"?). I was proud of including "page", "Arizona", and "Tuba City" all in one limerick (after the earlier discussion, that was my "joke"). I did have a hard time reshaping the "Tuba" into a "Sousaphone". And that was probably one of the weakest parts of my limerick. I'm sure most know that the sousaphone is a specially-shaped tuba reshaped for marching bands. Anyway, I'll try out the next one, if I can work something out.

Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
Limerick writing for the absolute beginner

When you read it out it should sound like this

dum DUM dum dum DUM dum dum DUM
dum DUM dum dum DUM
dum DUM dum dum DUM

You can squeeze in an extra dum at the start or end of the lines providing you do it consistently.

Lesson two is a bit harder but that's basically it.
Nice try for your first ever limerick.
Even with perfect meter and rhyme it would sadly have failed on the technicality that for this game the place name is supposed to be in the rhyming position on line 1,2 or 5.

Keep at it though, the concept was sound.

When Miss Susie near Page, Arizona
Learned the horn from sister (Winona),
It was ironic and witty
Her home town, Tuba City
Had nicknamed her (horny) Susiephona

(Stresses wrong syllable in "horny", I know but it is just an off the cuff demonstration after all.)

<Proofreader>
posted
Met Miss Susie near Page, Arizona
But I fell for her sister, Winona.
I first grabbed Winnie's titty
Outside Tuba City
And each sister insisted I phone-a.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BobHale:
DUM dum
At least I've got that much going for me. Roll Eyes I thought that Greg's scanned perfectly - and was funny!

posted Hide Post
Thank you Mr. Hale. I will work on it for my next limerick.
As to:
quote:

Even with perfect meter and rhyme it would sadly have failed on the technicality that for this game the place name is supposed to be in the rhyming position on line 1,2 or 5.

Well, I did, indeed, make "Page, Arizona" the rhyming position per instructions:
quote:

So this time we visit Page, Arizona, not Tuba City.

Razz
Seriously, I knew the primary rhyme-word was to be "Page". So I knew I was breaking the rule. I was purposely trying to get all three elements in lieu of the 'confusion discussion'.

I also did see that "horny" was kind of out of place, and almost left it out. I liked it because I was making the link between the town, and the two bass horn types.

But all that aside, I will attempt to make a more proper limerick based on what I have learned for the next contest.

Thank you,
Tom

Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
Nothing to do with Page, but I just saw this limerick on Twitter:
http://t.co/xLbXrMEn

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Posts: 10940 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
<Proofreader>
posted
A limerick tries, in five lines,
To extract from this site's fertile minds
Some poetical verse
So good others will curse,
And no limerick is better than mines.

Yeah, I know. Possible homophone.

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
How are all of you saying the first line of limerick #1? I just can't get that line to work no matter what I do. The rest of the lines are okay. I voted for #4.

Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
worn OUT working HARD for a WAGE

Picture of bethree5
posted Hide Post
A limerick is naught but a ditty:
Protagonist and his named city;
A straight AABBA romp
In a dactylish stomp;
Add smut and make sure it ain't pretty.

Posts: 2605 | Location: As they say at 101.5FM: Not New York... Not Philadelphia... PROUD TO BE NEW JERSEY!Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Greg S
posted Hide Post
quote:
worn OUT working HARD for a WAGE

Yep - that's it!

Maybe if I'd made it workin', you would have found it easier to get.

Regards Greg

posted Hide Post
The newguy's lim-rick was woefully lack,
The Englishman did not hold much back
He said “your meter is off”
Then the old surveyor did scoff:
“I works in feet, not meters, you hack”

(f you have trouble following this one, multiply by [3937/1200] to adjust your meter.) Big Grin

posted Hide Post
Hey, Tom, now that you've got the limericks figured out, how about dropping in on the Bluffing Game? Just send me a PM with a fanciful "daffynition" of "gaffer." Don't look up the various real definitions, though - that's the fun of it, trying to guess which is which.

Geoff

posted Hide Post
Geoff,
I'll give it a try. I've been trying to think of one, and am at a bit of a block. I'll come up with something.

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Ah, Greg, I see. "Worn" just is a natural stress for me. Oh well. I liked #4, too (as well as #7 Wink), though #4 had some stress challenges for me, too.

Picture of Greg S
posted Hide Post
New game is finally posted.

Regards Greg

Picture of Greg S
posted Hide Post
Oh and by the way the timing of this game and my limerick entry was "interesting". The family 21st we went to in Ballarat for my once nerdy super-brain nephew, who in recent years has been more interested in his musical theatre hobbies than his studies, just happened to have some rather surprising entertainment. Turns out a couple of his Theatre friends just happen to do a bit of Pole Dancing, and guess what - there was a pole at the party. No nakedness however, but they weren't wearing all that much.

Regards Greg