Wordcraft Home Page    Wordcraft Community Home Page    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Wordplay    Style Invitational limerick competition
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Style Invitational limerick competition Login/Join

Picture of arnie
posted
The Washington Post's Style Invitational is running another limerick competition in conjunction with the OEDILF. This time words should begin with dr ...

More info at http://www.washingtonpost.com/...AR2010081304988.html - you may need to log in to access the site - it's free.

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Posts: 10940 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
How long will it take for the ep words, for heaven's sake? Roll Eyes

I suppose I should enter, but I've not ever won. Last year I didn't even put my submissions on OEDILF.

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Richard English
posted Hide Post
Of course, there is a lot of competition and the judging is somewhat eclectic.

Those limericks of mine that have inked have usually been those I didn't think all that much of, and my other, more sparkling, submissions have been ignored.

Of course, the US/UK humour and language differences might have something to do with this.

Richard English

Posts: 8038 | Location: Partridge Green, West Sussex, UKReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
I am not sure that there are huge humor differences, though clearly there are rhyming and even meter differences.

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Richard English
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kalleh:
I am not sure that there are huge humor differences, though clearly there are rhyming and even meter differences.

No humour differences? Goodness me - you don't even spell the word correctly Wink

Richard English

Posts: 8038 | Location: Partridge Green, West Sussex, UKReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
There are also the culture differences. If you or I were to write a real rib-tickler of a pefectly-formed limerick about Cameron and Clegg, say, we wouldn't stand much of a chance, because C & C are little-known over there.

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Posts: 10940 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post