Wordcraft Home Page    Wordcraft Community Home Page    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Wordplay    meta-_________
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

meta-_________ Login/Join

posted
The other day I was introduced to the idea of a meta agnostic (someone who isn't sure if they're agnostic or not.) Previously I'd discovered metatools (tools for making other tools), metalanguages (languages for talking about languages), and other meta-things.

So I started thinking about it and was wondering if there's anything that can't be "meta"-ised - in other words, some word that when you prepend "meta" to it has no meaning. I couldn't think of anything off the top of my head, so I was wondering if you guys could help.

posted Hide Post
I suspect such a construction might be ineffable. After all, what's a meta- for?
(That's trying to be a pun, folks...)

Posts: 6270 | Location: Worcester, MA, USReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of shufitz
posted Hide Post
There must always be something meta-, something beyond, to draw man onward. Robert Burns said it best:

"A man's reach should exceed his grasp, or what's a meta- for?"
Sorry, hab -- your pun was so good I had to use it too! Big Grin

Posts: 2666 | Location: Chicago, IL USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
"Meta" seems to have such a broad meaning, I suppose. I particularly use the word "meta-analysis," which is when a research question is answered by combining the results of all the studies, and statistically analyzing the combined results.

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Hic et ubique
posted Hide Post
Funny you should mention meta-, Oberon. Yesterday I saw a cartoon in which the post office clerk said, "We have a wonderful commerative stamp that's been issued to commemorate the issuance of commemorative stamps."

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Reviving a thread...
Nathan Bierma wrote a nice column on the word "meta," which, according to Bierma, is only in 2 major dictionaries, the OED and the New Oxford American Dictionary. This is the definition in the OED:

"orig. and chiefly U.S. Freq. in predicative use. Designating or characterized by a consciously sophisticated, self-referential, and often self-parodying style, whereby something (as a situation, person, etc.) reflects or represents the very characteristics it alludes to or depicts."

Is it not used in the U.K.?

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
<Asa Lovejoy>
posted
So, metatarsals are funny feet parts?

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
Before the FIFA World Cup™ most people in England were bombarded with information about metatarsals; if the newspapers were to believed, they were the main subject of conversation in pubs. This was because Wayne Rooney, a football player, had injured his, and might not be able to play. See http://surpliceofspin.blogspot.com/2006/05/emerging-bra...oney-metatarsal.html

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Posts: 10940 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've not come up with an example (yet) to fit the original question. I can't help but wonder if someone at Rocky and Bullwinkle's alma mater (whats-a-matta U) might be able to help? Would metahistory or metabiography "have no meaning" because they are repiticously redundant? What would a metamime do? Annoy people by acting like himself? Would a metanilist be of or about nothing? Like I said, I've not come up with an example I'm happy with yet.

posted Hide Post
Yes a metamime would anoy people by playing himself. Therefor exposing and surfacing any ideas of oneself in meta form....characters, personalities and emotions.

Posts: 1 | Location: Global NomadReply With QuoteReport This Post
<Asa Lovejoy>
posted
I suppose the right to life contingent could paraphrase Will Rogers: "I never meta-man I didn't like."

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I went so far as to write a meta-meta-disclaimer for wwftd, which seems pleonastic as well as meaningless.