Wordcraft Home Page    Wordcraft Community Home Page    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Wordplay    Limerick Game - Valentine
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Limerick Game - Valentine Login/Join

Picture of Kalleh
posted
This was not the easiest of words, so please be generous as you vote...and please vote, even though they are not the most perfect limericks. As an enticement, Hab sent me this:

...a metapoem:

Makearule Breakarule
Wordcrafters (Well,
This one anyway) strug-
Gle to rhyme “Valentine”

Hard to eliminate
Dactylophilia.
Limericks want a more
Anapest line.

[/copout]

I wish I'd done that! BTW, I've decided to post a poll for the vote, but if others don't want to, that's fine. We decided we could do it either way. Also, feel free to comment ad lib.

Question:
Please vote for your favorite limerick:

a.
Never show yore face in Valentine
'Specially if you hail from Palestine
Or Mexico, if you ain't white
Because ol' Bubba rides at night
An' Bubba sez, “This here cuntry'z mine!

b.
In Texas, stay away from Valentine
For there's a herd of savage roving swine
Like Adonis, you'll be dead
They leave nothing, toe to head,
Excepting hog shit, they leave not a sign

c.
There once was a fellow from Valentine
Who drank every day – only Ballantine.
He’d drink through the night
He’d wake quite a fright!
Each day he would swallow a gallon fine!

d.
Cowboy Dan rode his hoss down to Valentine,
Had a sexy an’ beaut-ee-ful gal in min’.
He planned soon to screw ‘r—
But first he would woo ‘r
With a cold IPA brewed by Ballantine.

e.
When I called my Valentine's talent mine,
Admittedly not the most gallant line,
She did not just imply,
But told me that I
Was no longer welcome in Valentine.

Choices:
a.
b.
c.
d,
e.

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Good grief. Can we have more than 2 votes here?

posted Hide Post
Half a vote for d, the other half for e - (illustrating the limitations of the poll!)

Posts: 6267 | Location: Worcester, MA, USReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Oh. I thought it was c and d. Damned poll.

Posts: 6168 | Location: Muncie, IndianaReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by haberdasher:
Half a vote for d, the other half for e - (illustrating the limitations of the poll!)

How does that indicate the limitations of the poll? If only two people so far have bothered to vote, surely that illustrates the limitations of the membership?

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Posts: 10940 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Poll won't accept even _two_ shades of grey

posted Hide Post
Let me clarify my vote:

I didn't use the poll at all. I gave half a vote for d and the other for e.

I think Greg looked at the poll and, noticing the letter after the bar (since it's followed by a period) concluded the letter refered to the bar below it. It doesn't. In that regard the display is confusing. But that''s not the limitation I was drawing attention to, just that it's black and with, with no provision for "except" or "but then..."

I read the vote as of now as 1.5 for D, 1.5 for E.

Picture of Greg S
posted Hide Post
Geoff not Greg - I worked out the vagaries of the Poll a long time ago when I had to create one after winning the first Limerick Game I played. You just ignore the histogram bars altogether and you can't go wrong.

But thanks for the explanation of your fence-sitting (non-)vote.

Regards Greg

Posts: 991 | Location: Melbourne AustraliaReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Greg S:
Geoff not Greg ...

Oops. I knew that. Sorry.

posted Hide Post
Whatever, I intended to vote for d. Did I? I felt it had the best overall humor despite the somewhat clumsy beat of the last line, IMHO.

If you win, Greg, I hope you'll pick somewhere simple to rhyme like Coober Pedy.

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Four of you have commented here - so two of you haven't voted! Vote, for pete's sake, even if you aren't enamored with the one you vote for. Choose the lessor of 5 evils, so to speak, like you vote!

And feel free to post some limericks or talk about the ones posted. Hab sent me this, which I would have voted for:

A bad chef (and worse eye doc) from Valentine
Thinks that Haggis tastes better than Galantine
He'll treat your trachoma
(He thinks it's glaucoma)
With eyedrops Betoptic and Xalatine.

Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
Several of them seem to be stubbornly iambic.

I voted now.

"No man but a blockhead ever wrote except for money." Samuel Johnson.

Posts: 9421 | Location: EnglandReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
quote:
I voted now.

Odd. I'm still only seeing two votes cast. That's from two different machines, as well. How many are others seeing?

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Posts: 10940 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Greg S
posted Hide Post
Correct Arnie - neither yours nor Bob's votes have registered. I think the Poll and repartee about it all, aren't working together in the same thread, so I am thinking everyone will have to declare their selections in the thread, or Kalleh will have to start a new Poll-only thread. I am wondering if the fact that this thread and the pre-voting thread have the same Title is confusing the crap out of the software?

Regards Greg

Posts: 991 | Location: Melbourne AustraliaReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Well, I couldn't have come up with a limerick for this. I agree with Kalleh, and would have voted for Hab's. I appreciated that "c", "d", and "e" rhymed both "VAL and "TINE", Since it would have been hard to rhyme only "VAL" and have them all end "entine". I finally voted for "d".

I noticed if your on the site without logging in, you can click on a bullet to vote, but a window pops up forcing you to log in. When you do that your first vote doesn't register. After you get logged in you need to vote "again". I don't know if that might be a problem for a couple of votes. If your vote registers, I don't think it lets you vote again. So anyone who didn't have a vote count might try again.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Tom,

Posts: 244 | Location: ColoradoReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bethree5
posted Hide Post
So where are we at? I don't understand the talk about 1/2-votes. I see six votes: one for c, 4 for d, one for e.

Posts: 2605 | Location: As they say at 101.5FM: Not New York... Not Philadelphia... PROUD TO BE NEW JERSEY!Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Bethree, I have no idea what the men are talking about. I see 6 votes and will go with them because I want to put this baby to rest.

We have a clear winner and that is (drum roll!) - Bethree! Congratulations! You are next up and please, please, make it an easier word to rhyme!

The other submissions were from:

a) Geoff - I loved the Valentine/Palestine

b) I can't find the PM - was it deleted? Geoff, do I vaguely remember it being from you? Or Proof?

c) Yours truly - and hey - I got a vote!

d) Bethree's winner! Love the "screw 'r" and "woo 'r"

e) Greg's got one vote - His rhymes were creative.

Bob, where were you during all the fun? This is just the kind of word you like - HARD! We'd love you to play next time.

posted Hide Post
Where are we AT??? EWWWW!!! Like fingernails on a blackboard! Anyway we are all at your door, waiting for you to send us to Kuala Lumpur or Passamaquoddy Bay or... Big Grin

Good job on the limerick!

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
What do you mean, Geoff? We are waiting for Bethree to post the next word - that's where we're at. She may not have logged in today, as I just posted that yesterday.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Kalleh,

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kalleh:

b) I can't find the PM - was it deleted? Geoff, do I vaguely remember it being from you? Or Proof?

Yes, it was mine. You can't blame Proofreader for that clinker.

Picture of bethree5
posted Hide Post
Thanks! Awaiting inspiration. Will post new locale as soon as it strikes. Sorry for fingernails on blackboard, just can't seem to kick those old rock-&-roll locutions Cool

Posts: 2605 | Location: As they say at 101.5FM: Not New York... Not Philadelphia... PROUD TO BE NEW JERSEY!Reply With QuoteReport This Post