Wordcraft Home Page    Wordcraft Community Home Page    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Wordplay    Limerick Game - Cowfold
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Limerick Game - Cowfold Login/Join

Picture of Richard English
posted
Reposted here to attract attention.

Now, for my second suggestion I will stick to my locality. The next village north of here is called Cowfold. Unusually its local pronunciation differs from that which one would expect, as the stress falls on the last syllable: Cow-FOLD.

PM me with your submissions, please, in the usual way.

Richard English

Posts: 8038 | Location: Partridge Green, West Sussex, UKReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
I was trying to figure out this unusual pronunciation and I think I have it now, plus the germ of an idea. Look forward to receiving my submission at the weekend.

"No man but a blockhead ever wrote except for money." Samuel Johnson.

Posts: 9421 | Location: EnglandReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
I'll send mine this weekend, too.

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Well, so far only two entrants and three limericks. Cowfold shouldn't be too difficult, stressed as it is on the last syllable.

When riding the 'bus to Cowfold
I see lasses with clothing so bold
That their hems seek the sky,
Showing acres of thigh,
I just wish I weren't feeling so old!

That took me just a couple of minutes - although I confess it was prompted by a recent trip on the self-same 'bus which did, indeed, offer the opportunity of a vision such as I describe.

Richard English

Posts: 8038 | Location: Partridge Green, West Sussex, UKReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bethree5
posted Hide Post
Hullo again. Check private message for R.1 pls RE. Thx

Posts: 2605 | Location: As they say at 101.5FM: Not New York... Not Philadelphia... PROUD TO BE NEW JERSEY!Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
I am a bad, bad person. I haven't sent one yet! I will try to write one tomorrow.

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
I am a bad, bad person. I haven't sent one yet! I will try to write one tomorrow.
--------------------------

posted Hide Post
Well, several limericks but only four writers so far. I'll leave it open for a day or so.

Richard English

posted Hide Post
Two more in today. I'll post the results tomorrow (18 January).

Richard English

posted Hide Post
Well, here we go. Several entries although maybe fewer than I'd have expected with such a simple rhyming syllable (0ld). Here they all are, alphabetically by the first letter of the nom-de-computer, with my comments:

Bob Hale
There was an old man of Cowfold
Whose face was a thing to behold
His eyes were odd sizes
His nose could win prizes
And his ears with both covered with mold

There was a young lass of Cowfold
Whose virtue was often extolled
It seemed such a waste
That she chose to be chaste
And remained in that state growing old.

I very much liked Bob's as they in true Learian tradition, especially the first. It scarcely needs saying that Bob's craftmanship shows through since there are few obvious faults with either limerick.

Bethree
I’m told that clodhoppers of old
Would herd their livestock to Cowfold
Where the girls at the inn
Served the fellas good gin
And all their cigars were hand-rolled

Nice - especially the possible double-entendres implicit in L5Red Face My one criticism is with L2 and its stress - LiveSTOCK. Having said which, though, the stress-stretching implicit in Cowfold should make us ready to accept it, as the line wouldn't work if Cowfold were stressed concentionally.

haberdasher
The West Sussex village Cowfold
Has virtues but seldom extolled...
With scarce two thousand folks [and two pubs]
When they start telling jokes
It's a marvelous sight to behold.

Haberdasher's submission appealed to my critical side. Cowfold DOES have two pubs and its population is around 2000. If I have a problem it's with the parenthetic aside (and two pubs) which, although true, could possibly have been incorporated into the body of the work.

Jerry Thomas
This student who came from Cowfold
Almost never went out in the cold;
He stayed in the dorm,
Where he felt nice and warm,
With his girlfriend, with whom he was bold.

As Limericks emerged from Cowfold
Quoth bystanders who saw them unfold,
"They might have been seen
Down around Partridge Green
But in this town they've never been told."

A farmer once went to Cowfold
Taking with him a small pot of gold.
He sought to acquire
A bovine for hire
But the sign that he found said, "Cow Sold."

Three from Jerry, all good, especially the last one, whose scansion and rhyme is exceptional - who'd have thought of rhyming Cowfold with cow sold!

Kalleh
When strolling through charming Cowfold,
I took out the ring made of gold,
And gave it to her,
Hoping she'd purr,
But the battleaxe acted all cold!

I liked Kalleh's since it exemplifies, so poignantly, the problems that men have so often with women! Even after investing substantial amounts of cash in jewellery. the poor guy still has to sleep alone! I could never mistake a Kalleh limerick; there is something about her style that always shines through. It's like Elgar's music - a couple of bars and you know who the composer is.

Wordmatic
Do you do oragami, Cowfold?
If you did, could the tale be told?
Do you linger by night
In the dim of the light?
Do your parts fold and splice, crease and hold?

Another wonderful limerick that is again especially good by virtue of its cunning double entendres. There seems to be an unstressed syllable missing from L2 but that aside it is faultless.

So difficult to decide. All are good for the reasons I have suggested but there can be only one winner and I choose the last one I have posted - Wordmatic's. Technically the limerick is near perfect and the double entendres implict in it appeal greatly to me. I would never, before today, have realised quite how sexy origami must be.

So, Wordmatic, your choice for the next location.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Richard English,

Richard English

Picture of wordmatic
posted Hide Post
Oh my! Well thank you, and now let me scan the globe for another destination.

Back in a sec, on a different thread.

Wordmatic

Posts: 1390 | Location: Near Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Great decision, Richard. I love Wordmatic's. And thank you so much for the nice compliment.