Wordcraft Home Page    Wordcraft Community Home Page    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Wordplay    Bluffing Game: Fress
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bluffing Game: Fress Login/Join

Picture of Kalleh
posted
Fress is our new bluffing game word. Please send me your daffynitions by PM, and I'll post the answers when I have enough. Good luck!

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
I have three. How about a few more?

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Please send my your daffynitions, if you haven't. I'll post them on Wednesday.

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Which is the correct meaning of Fress? (And Hab will have to guess last, along with arnie of course. Wink)

1. Insect excrement

2. To eat heartily

3. An evergreen tree with only female flowers

4. The section of a line or rope immediately behind a knot.

5. The ring on a horse's harness to which the reins are attached.

I never did get your daffy, Bob. Mad

posted Hide Post
#5? Or was it the actor who played Davy Crockett on TV, Fress Parker?

Posts: 6168 | Location: Muncie, IndianaReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I like 4. I have no clue, but that just sounds right. I'm right or someone's good.

Posts: 244 | Location: ColoradoReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bethree5
posted Hide Post
I vote w/Tom to give a 'yes'
To #4, the near-knot fress,
Though 'tie true, I must confess--
It's just a guess.

Posts: 2605 | Location: As they say at 101.5FM: Not New York... Not Philadelphia... PROUD TO BE NEW JERSEY!Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bethree5:
I vote w/Tom to give a 'yes'
To #4, the near-knot fress,
Though 'tie true, I must confess--
It's just a guess.

Good one!

this site needs a "like" button.

Posts: 244 | Location: ColoradoReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
I'll go for 2, though if the answers aren't in by Sunday I may never find out if I'm right.

"No man but a blockhead ever wrote except for money." Samuel Johnson.

Posts: 9421 | Location: EnglandReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'll pick 5.

Posts: 2878 | Location: Shoreline, WA, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
quote:

I never did get your daffy, Bob.

I meant to send one. Probably just as well though as the one I had in mind was very similar to something already there... and possibly for similar reasons.

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Bob, I'll post these before Sunday. What would your daffy have been?

Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
Similar to the one I have chosen as my answer, 2... working on the idea that it might be a cognate of the German "fressen" which is the verb you use for animals eating as opposed to "essen" which is for people.

It's possible that this really is the right answer and logic of course.

Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
I'll go for 2 for the same reasons as Bob.

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Posts: 10940 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Okay, Hab, you can guess now. Wink

I'll post the answers tomorrow so that Bob will know before he leaves. Shu had a part in this one, and I think you'll be amused about how this all came about.

posted Hide Post
A vote more than a guess. As a Daffynition I like the horse's harness. But I'll have more to say afterwards.

Posts: 6267 | Location: Worcester, MA, USReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Yes, I think you will, Hab. Wink

I'm posting the answers now so that Bob has a chance to look at the who wrote the daffynitions and which is right. Sorry if someone didn't get a chance to vote.

1. Insect excrement - Mine; no one chose it but there is a funny story behind it.

2. To eat heartily - Yeah, yeah, yeah - Bob and arnie got it right - and Hab knew it too. You guys are all too smart for me.

3. An evergreen tree with only female flowers - Hab's, but no takers.

4. The section of a line or rope immediately behind a knot. Geoff's and Tom and Bethree liked it.

5. The ring on a horse's harness to which the reins are attached. Arnie's and Tinman chose it; Hab also liked it but was daffying us.

So - my story. I asked Shu for a perfect daffynition for WC because he knows everything! He gave me "frass" (insect's excrement), but I heard it as "fress." I looked it up (hadn't known it), saw it was Yiddish, and thought it was great. When I told him I'd used his word, he said, "Oh, they'll know that one! It was 'frass'." So I ask you, would any of you known "frass?" I hope, for once, he is wrong. Smile

Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
'Frass' doesn't mean anything atm to me but often, when I see all the daffys, I can either guess the correct one or realise I've come across it before.

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Posts: 10940 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Frass I knew. And I should have known fress, since it's been mentioned three times before: by Froeschlein on February 02, 2006, by wordcrafter on September 12, 2007, and by me on October 11, 2012. In my post I quoted (or rather misquoted) it's usage in the play "Plain and Fancy": "What they don't fress, we'll give to the pigs." It should be fress up

Posts: 2878 | Location: Shoreline, WA, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Didn't know frass,but now I do, thanks Shu.

A propos of fress, I use it much more pejoratively than "to eat heartily." It's more disparaging: to gourmandize, to eat boorishly, to eat like an animal, and more particularly - in both literal and figurative sense - to eat like a pig.

(Fairness compels me to report that my wife objects: she thinks of it as being used affectionately (with the appropriate tone of voice) to acknowledge a good eater, in which case "to eat heartily" is spot on. Lovely how you can invert the meaning entirely with tone of voice, which is one of the hazards of Communicating by Social Media Only.)

Posts: 6267 | Location: Worcester, MA, USReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
I didn't know "fress" but I did know the German "fressen" which, I'm told, is impolite if used about a person as it would mean "eat like an animal" - being the verb used when animals eat rather than "essen" the verb for people. That's why I guessed as I did. As for "frass" - I don't think I've ever heard it but whether I would have guessed right would depend on the other definitions it was up against. And frankly I don't think I'd want to be up against insect excrement. Big Grin

posted Hide Post
I knew only "essen," I confress.

Posts: 6168 | Location: Muncie, IndianaReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Shu and I were talking, and we thought of a new phrase only Wordcrafters could use when we are really mad at someone: "Why don't you go fress frass!! Mad