Wordcraft Home Page    Wordcraft Community Home Page    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Wordplay    Limerick game: Tooting
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Limerick game: Tooting Login/Join

posted
Tooting is a south London suburb without any great claim to fame. It's perhaps best known as the setting for the 70s BBC sitcom Citizen Smith, but I think it conjures up a wealth of possibilities for rhymes. If you're in any doubt, it rhymes with "shooting".

Please send me your limericks by PM as usual. Thanks!

Posts: 292 | Location: Bath, EnglandReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Mike
posted Hide Post
Come the revolution, you'll be the first against the wall.

Posts: 71 | Location: OsloReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
I'd forgotten Citizen Smith.*

Power to the people!

(*I had to correct a typo in that. At first I wrote "Citizen Sith" which brings up bizarre visions of an evil Jedi in an Afghan coat.)**

(** A comment that is almost certainly incomprehensible to anyone who hasn't seen both the TV series and the Star Wars movies.)

This message has been edited. Last edited by: BobHale,

"No man but a blockhead ever wrote except for money." Samuel Johnson.

Posts: 9421 | Location: EnglandReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BobHale:
I'd forgotten Citizen Smith.*

Written by the hugely talented John Sullivan, who sadly died a few days ago. You can take this thread as my tribute to him.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fMKsR_wUSfA

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Guy Barry,

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Guy, I'll try to get one to you before I leave for Malta on Sunday. I am afraid I won't be around WC much for the next week.

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Only one limerick submitted so far. Is Tooting really that uninspiring?

Since it's my first time setting the competition I've a couple of questions: am I required to provide feedback on the limericks at the end? And what happens if there's a tie, and I end up having to judge between my own limerick and someone else's?

Picture of Mike
posted Hide Post
It's not difficult to rhyme, but I'm having problems finding funny rhymes! Here's one that will be incomprehensible to the majority (everyone who didn't grow up watching telly in England in the 70's).

Wolfie Smith had his base down in Tooting -
It was here he would plan revoluting,
With his infamous call:
“You’ll be first ‘gainst the wall”,
But alas, there was never much shooting.

When it comes to feedback, most people provide short feedback at the end - it doesn't require an extensive critique. I have never been in the situation you describe. I would probably just vote for the other limerick unless I really hated it, but I guess you should cast your vote as you feel.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Mike,

Posts: 71 | Location: OsloReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Greg S
posted Hide Post
Well the reason you haven't got one from me is that I didn't know the game was open yet. This is because I am not a daily visitor to Wordcraft. I primarily concern myself with the Limerick Game and from time to time the Dis-Game, so I turn email notifications on in the current game, and wait till I get a notification that the new game has started and then I come back to play. But I seem to be the only person who tells people in the old thread when I have posted the new game. Eventually after I have been waiting a while it strikes me that maybe the new game has started already, as it did just now.

I always find it disappointing when there's no critique. I like to know what others think, and why they do or don't like certain limericks. Some of my better limericks have missed votes because they didn't scan properly and so I have really tried to work hard on that since getting the feedback, but without it, I wouldn't have known.

There have been far too many discussions on the self-voting issue, but the consensus is that most people claim they don't do it, but almost everyone thinks it is OK to do it if you honestly think yours is the best. Personally, on the rare occasion that I actually think mine is the best one, I simply abstain.

Regards Greg

Posts: 991 | Location: Melbourne AustraliaReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Greg S:
Well the reason you haven't got one from me is that I didn't know the game was open yet.

Apologies. If I win another game I'll make sure the notification of the new game is posted in the old thread.

quote:
I always find it disappointing when there's no critique. I like to know what others think, and why they do or don't like certain limericks.

OK, but the way things currently work you're just getting the opinion of the competition setter, not the players as a whole. Perhaps everyone should be encouraged to give their reasons for making their choices.

quote:
There have been far too many discussions on the self-voting issue

Yes, and this isn't one of them. What I asked is what I should do if, in my role as tie-breaker, I found myself having to judge between someone else's limerick and one of my own. I think Mike is probably right - the diplomatic thing to do is to choose the other person's. But I'd like to know if it's ever happened before, and if there are rules to cover it.

Picture of Greg S
posted Hide Post
quote:
but the way things currently work you're just getting the opinion of the competition setter

Happy enough with that. The game moves around and you do get a feel for the way different people think. Sometimes a critique will encourage others to comment as well if they feel so inclined.

As for the deciding vote thing, I think the same rules apply as for self-voting in general, which is that there are no rules - do whatever you feel comfortable doing. Nobody really cares as long as we get a good chuckle out of a few limericks

Regards Greg

Posts: 991 | Location: Melbourne AustraliaReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Pleased to say I'm up to seven now. I'll wait for Kalleh's promised entry, then I think I'll post the poll (if that's all right with everyone).

posted Hide Post
The poll has now been posted.