New
Find
Notify
Tools

Oxymorons Login/Join

Picture of shufitz
posted Hide Post
Quote:

Deliberations over what to wear to the summer office party are arduous. Do you wear shorts and swimwear? Fail to dress down at a summer barbecue and risk seeming way too uptight. Dress down too much and risk leaving a lasting impression that, even if good, can be bad.

The bottom line is that making work seem more lifelike can end up showing how much work and life are at odds - kind of like the words "office party" and "business casual."

Posts: 2666 | Location: Chicago, IL USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Can you come up with an oxymoron that contains a homograph and a contranym? Come on, Wordcrafters!

I was re-reading this thread and saw this challenge that no one rose to and no one answered! I can't come up with a homographic/contranymic oymoron, but how about two words that are homophones and antonyms?

raze and raise

Posts: 266 | Location: GreeceReply With QuoteReport This Post
<Asa Lovejoy>
posted
I'm dragging this back from the dead to post this one I heard today: Free Interest Yeah, suuuuuure! Damned hucksters...

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I think I saw that mailing also. I won't mention the bank.

These mailings are called "creatives" by marketers, which has always struck me as inappropriately appropriate.

Posts: 83 | Location: Northbrook, ILReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
for the sake of being contemporary...

compassionate conservative

Posts: 915 | Location: IowaReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've always wondered whether artificial intelligence is an oxymoron.

Posts: 83 | Location: Northbrook, ILReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Class Cynic speaking here... how about "temporary tax" ?

Posts: 6267 | Location: Worcester, MA, USReply With QuoteReport This Post
<Asa Lovejoy>
posted
Considering how little humankind has collectively learned through the millinea, I feel that intelligence itself is oxymoronic. As proof I offer gods, generals, politicians, and real estate developers.

posted Hide Post
...intelligence itself is oxymoronic...

Not an oxymoron, merely a Pious Hope...

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Frank Hubeny:
I've always wondered whether artificial intelligence is an oxymoron.

You didn't append a smileyface, so I'm assuming your tongue is extrabuccal ... Smile

The prototypical oxymoron (aside from 'oxymoron') is 'sophomore' (wise fool), so AI doesn't seem to qualify, since it doesn't juxtapose two polar opposites.

We can of course debate whether AI is a contentless topic, but that's another matter.

I've noticed that we sometimes -- myself not excepted -- will label something as oxymoronic that we don't like or believe in, often to humorous effect. One hoary example is "military intelligence" -- which would only be an oxymoron if a) ALL military were stupid and b) intelligence did not mean (in this context) gathering information.

Which reminds me of "Military justice is to justice as military music is to music" -- sort of an implied oxymoronic couplet.

Putdown hemidemisemioxymorons are easy to make up: "honest lawyer", "soothing heavy-metal rock" (and "exciting New Age music") "pessimistic investors", "modest CEOs", "open-minded fundamentalists" ...

Phroggye

Posts: 141 | Location: San Jose, Costa Rica (expat)Reply With QuoteReport This Post
<Asa Lovejoy>
posted
quote:
Originally posted by haberdasher:
...intelligence itself is oxymoronic...

Not an oxymoron, merely a Pious Hope...

Or used as a synonym for hubris.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kalleh:
QT in the Chicago Sun Times has referenced wordcraft before and periodically refers to wordcrafter's words. Today, he answered a reader's question about what it's called when one word has 2 different pronunciations and meanings, i.e. arithMETic and ARITHmetic; it's called a homograph.

Then QT posed this challenge, of course assuming that no one would get it. We have the most creative people in the world on this site. Wink Let's surprise him!

Can you come up with an oxymoron that contains a homograph and a contranym? Come on, Wordcrafters!

It is a few years late, but how about...

Spring - to release from custody or imprisonment.
Springe - a snare for small animals.

So a "springer-springer" would have to be a member of the catch and release club, or is it rescue then capture, or maybe he just bails out incarcerated trappers?

Myth Jellies
Cerebroplegia--the cure is within our grasp

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Myth Jellies:
Spring - to release from custody or imprisonment.
Springe - a snare for small animals.

So a "springer-springer" would have to be a member of the catch and release club, or is it rescue then capture, or maybe he just bails out incarcerated trappers?

...and a 'Springer-springer-springer" would go around releasing spaniels ?

Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
quote:
...and a 'Springer-springer-springer" would go around releasing spaniels ?

What if he released them on the Jerry Springer show?

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Posts: 10940 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
<Asa Lovejoy>
posted
You have that sewage in the UK!?!? I hope they only show it in the fall, not the spring!

Picture of zmježd
posted Hide Post
Jerry Springer

Former mayor of Cincinnati, OH, and talk show host, Jerry Springer, is now an opera. A review on the BBC site. Pretty funny.

Ceci n'est pas un seing.

Posts: 5148 | Location: R'lyehReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Bully has an interesting history. From Etymology Online...

quote:
bully (n.)
1538, originally "sweetheart," applied to either sex, from Du. boel "lover, brother," probably dim. of M.H.G. buole "brother," of uncertain origin (cf. Ger. buhle "lover"). Meaning deteriorated 17c. through "fine fellow," "blusterer," to "harasser of the weak" (1653). Perhaps this was by infl. of bull, but a connecting sense between "lover" and "ruffian" may be in "protector of a prostitute," which was one sense of bully (though not specifically attested until 1706). The verb is first attested 1710. The expression meaning "worthy, jolly, admirable" (esp. in 1864 U.S. slang bully for you!) is first attested 1681, and preserves an earlier, positive sense of the word.

A bully bully is a worthy, jolly, admirable harrasser of the weak?

Myth Jellies
Cerebroplegia--the cure is within our grasp

Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
Bully beef was a staple ration in the army and navy. It's also known as corned beef, although the American-style corned beef is sold here as salt beef. Confused? I am.

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Picture of wordmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by zmježd:
Jerry Springer

Former mayor of Cincinnati, OH, and talk show host, Jerry Springer, is now...

Oh, I am so ashamed of my hometown! At least I wasn't living there anymore when he was elected, so I can say my hands are clean. I cannot understand any of these reality talk shows in which members of dysfunctional families gladly go on the air to air all of their dirty laundry before the entire universe. Arrrrrgh.

WM

Posts: 1390 | Location: Near Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sorry to offend, but I heard that Jerry Springer was originally British. Is that correct? For the sake of the UK, I hope not. I guess the Americans are stuck with him - and Ricky Lake. Egads.

Posts: 120 | Location: Oslo, NorwayReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Yep, you are right! He was born in London! Hee! Hee!

I have always despised the guy, and now I feel a little sorry for him. His parents were Jewish refugees from Nazi Germany. Also, he graduated from law school at Northwestern Univeersity, which is in our backyard (not really, but you know what I mean!). Oh, well. I don't feel too sorry for him. Wink

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
If we have to lay claim to Jerry Springer we want Bob Hope back as well!

(Nice to see you mark)

"No man but a blockhead ever wrote except for money." Samuel Johnson.

Posts: 9421 | Location: EnglandReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Richard English
posted Hide Post
quote:
If we have to lay claim to Jerry Springer we want Bob Hope back as well!

Charlie Chaplin and Stan Laurel as well, please...

Richard English

Posts: 8038 | Location: Partridge Green, West Sussex, UKReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You want Bob Hope and Laurel & Hardy back? You'll have to dig them up first. As for Springer, I WISH you'd have to dig him up.

Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
I'd rather we had Cat Deeley back! Wink

Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
Can we let them keep Tracey Ullman?

"No man but a blockhead ever wrote except for money." Samuel Johnson.

Posts: 9421 | Location: EnglandReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
We'll take Hugh Grant! Smile

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Richard English
posted Hide Post
quote:
You want Bob Hope and Laurel & Hardy back?

I was speaking in spirit, not in body! And not Oliver Hardy - he was American (born in Georgia), although his parents were of British descent). Stan Laurel was born in Ulverston, in northern England. He rarely spoke in his films with Oliver Hardy (who had enough rabbit for both of them) but when he did his voice had no trace of an American accent.

Richard English

Posts: 8038 | Location: Partridge Green, West Sussex, UKReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Caterwauller
posted Hide Post
quote:
We'll take Hugh Grant!

mmmmmmm tasty

I'd also gladly keep Alan Rickman, Ewan McGregor and Sean Connery.

"Happiness is not something ready made. It comes from your own actions.
~Dalai Lama

Posts: 5149 | Location: Columbus, OhioReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Caterwauller
posted Hide Post
quote:
Can we let them keep Tracey Ullman?

Did you know she's recently taken up knitting again? I have her latest book checked out from the library at the moment.

"Happiness is not something ready made. It comes from your own actions.
~Dalai Lama

Posts: 5149 | Location: Columbus, OhioReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hugh Grant? Tasty?
No doubt that's also what that woman in Los Angeles said when the police arrested Grant.

<Proofreader>
posted
Returning to the theme: oxymorons.

Many years ago we bought a new Chevrolet and asked for the day/night mirror (this is before everything was included in the purchase price). The salesman said we could get it along with four or five other accessories, including a cigarette lighter.

Thinking we could save a few bucks, we told him neither of us smoked so we didn't want or need the lighter. He said all the accessories came as a "mandatory option," and we had to take everything or nothing.

posted Hide Post
how about..

black light

or light black?

Picture of Stanley
posted Hide Post
Hmm, noticed this thread a bit late in the day, but still seem to have caught it in time to be the first to post my all-time favourite oxymoron: Microsoft Works

------------------------
If your rhubarb is forwards, bend it backwards.

Posts: 98 | Location: Reading, UKReply With QuoteReport This Post
<Proofreader>
posted
I saw what I thought was one in a headline today. It began "Disgraced lawyer...".