Wordcraft Home Page    Wordcraft Community Home Page    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Wordplay    Bluffing Game: BOUSTROPHEDONIC
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bluffing Game: BOUSTROPHEDONIC Login/Join

posted
BOUSTROPHEDONIC

I'll take daffynitions until Monday.

Posts: 915 | Location: IowaReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
So far I have five daffynitions. Is it that everyone knows what it means? If so, please let me know and I will withdraw it. Thought I must admit the five I've gotten are hillarious and great.

posted Hide Post
Here are the daffynitions... a little early, but I think this is all we are going to get.

1. An argument in logic that is flawed because the speaker refuses to listen to arguments by others, from the Greek boustrophe, "like a bull".

2. Pertaining to the noises made by bodily organs other than the intestines.

3. Exceptionally pompous in speech and manners especially when speaking to someone. Lecturing or haranguing in a pompous and condescending manner.

4. A method of writing, no longer employed, which goes from left to right and then right to left, thus creating a back and forth motion.

5. A type of stereo speaker with larger than usual sub-woofers, allowing for a more resonant sound.

6. very loud orchestral music, characterized by a larger brass section with complex harmonies

7. employing the rhetorical device of ponderously convoluted discourse, with a starting theme and many branching and sub-branching offshoots and ramifications. fr. Greek bou- (tree branch) and strophe-

8. Of, or relating to, that class of dinosaurs with teeth that resemble the teeth of members of the Boustrophed family.

9. Getting pleasure from petting animals

10. Having pleasing physical proportions, i.e. balanced hips and bust in a female.

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Number 7 please.

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jerry thomas
posted Hide Post
My vote is for number FOUR.

Posts: 6708 | Location: Kehena Beach, Hawaii, U.S.A.Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'll pick 2.

Tinman

Posts: 2878 | Location: Shoreline, WA, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
4 for me, please.

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Posts: 10940 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Caterwauller
posted Hide Post
I'll choose #3

"Happiness is not something ready made. It comes from your own actions.
~Dalai Lama

Posts: 5149 | Location: Columbus, OhioReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Five votes so far. I will close voting Wednesday and attempt to post the results on thursday or Friday.

Would someone who has done a really great job of cutting and pasting who wrote the daffynitions, who voted for them and so on please PM me and tell me how you did it?

Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
I chose four before I looked at the others. Honest.

"No man but a blockhead ever wrote except for money." Samuel Johnson.

Posts: 9421 | Location: EnglandReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I like answer 3 best.

(PS "Bos" is ox, not bull.)

Posts: 6267 | Location: Worcester, MA, USReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I recuse myself from answering the true meaning, being Greek.

However, I note that an alternative parsing of the word is possible, to wit:

boustrop-hedonic

meaning "taking unnatural pleasure in cows."

RJA

Posts: 488 | Location: Westport CTReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
...Would someone who has done a really great job of cutting and pasting who wrote the daffynitions, who voted for them and so on please PM me and tell me how you did it?

...When it was my turn, I highlighted-and-copied the relevant parts of the incoming PMs, made a working WORD document, and then pasted them in. (And SAVEd it! Don't forget that step! Very important!)

Picture of jheem
posted Hide Post
Number 4, please.

Bous means cow in Greek; it can be either masculine or feminie, i.e., ho bous ~ he bous. It is related to English cow, Sanskrit go, Latin bos (bovis).

Posts: 1218 | Location: CaliforniaReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I choose #6...

Posts: 3737 | Location: Georgia, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
<Asa Lovejoy>
posted
A Greek bull pacing back and forth while making odd bodily noises on its stereo in imitation of an orchestra while someone's petting him.

Since arnie's sure to have chosen the right one, I'll make a fool of myself and guess #7.

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Here goes...

1. An argument in logic that is flawed because the speaker refuses to listen to arguments by others, from the Greek boustrophe, "like a bull". Arnie

2. Pertaining to the noises made by bodily organs other than the intestines. Asa Guessed by Tinman

3. Exceptionally pompous in speech and manners especially when speaking to someone. Lecturing or haranguing in a pompous and condescending manner. Bob Hale – Guessed by Caterwauller, Hab,

4. A method of writing, no longer employed, which goes from left to right and then right to left, thus creating a back and forth motion. The Real Definition Known by Arnie, Jerry Thomas, Jheem, and Bob Hale

5. A type of stereo speaker with larger than usual sub-woofers, allowing for a more resonant sound. Cat

6. very loud orchestral music, characterized by a larger brass section with complex harmonies Caterwauller; Guessed by KHC

7. employing the rhetorical device of ponderously convoluted discourse, with a starting theme and many branching and sub-branching offshoots and ramifications. fr. Greek bou- (tree branch) and strophe- Haberdasher Guessed by Kalleh, Asa

8. Of, or relating to, that class of dinosaurs with teeth that resemble the teeth of members of the Boustrophed family. Jerry Thomas

9. Getting pleasure from petting animals Kalleh

10. Having pleasing physical proportions, i.e. balanced hips and bust in a female. Jo (Hey, I wanted to have ten)

Someone else will have to score this, since I have no idea of how that works.

WHO'S NEXT?

posted Hide Post
Good job, Jo.. fun!

posted Hide Post
HAB.. you're up!

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by haberdasher:
(PS "Bos" is ox, not bull.)

More than you wanted to know about Bos. By the way, the word is subgenera, not subgenia.

Tinman

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jo:

Pertaining to the noises made by bodily organs other than the intestines. Asa Guessed by Tinman

I should have known that was Asa's definition. I wonder what organs he had in mind.

Tinman

Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
Hey, I finally fooled someone!

"No man but a blockhead ever wrote except for money." Samuel Johnson.

Posts: 9421 | Location: EnglandReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
It might be of interest that the word is, or was, employed in computing. Remember the old-style printers with a "golf-ball" printing head? Some makes were boustrophedonic; the golf-ball would zoom across the paper from left to right printing one line, then zoom back printing the next line from right to left, and so on down the page.

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Posts: 10940 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Bingo! Arnie, that's where I got the word. I used to have one of those printers. Noisy as all get out, and the balls kept having to be replaced. They wore out really easily. The earliest ones used balls similar to those employed by IBM typewriters, but they were so much faster... Then they started using a disk. It would spin as it race across the page, still going left to right, and right to left.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by KHC:
HAB.. you're up!

Okay. The new word is

COYPU

I'll put it into a new thread.

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Great, Hab. I have sent you a daffynition. And, all I can say is, it is a good thing we haven't been keeping score lately! Mad

posted Hide Post
PS. I never said I thought 3 was the correct answer, just that I liked it best ! Another manifestation of the problem - is the purpose of the game to applaud creativity, or to fool other people, or to get the right answer? Maybe we should vote three times!?

Picture of Caterwauller
posted Hide Post
I think we should give extra points if you write a plausible definition in poetry (particularly limerick) form! Vote early, vote often!

"Happiness is not something ready made. It comes from your own actions.
~Dalai Lama

Posts: 5149 | Location: Columbus, OhioReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Hab, you have a good point. I have thought about the same thing. When I post mundane answers (like the architectural daffynition I posted recently), people choose it. However, when I make one up that I think is quite creative (eg, experiencing pleasure from petting animals...now there should be a word for that!), no one chooses it. So, I sometimes post answers that I think will fool, and sometimes I post answers that are creative.

posted Hide Post
Pleasure in petting the pet is pet-hedonics

RJA

Posts: 488 | Location: Westport CTReply With QuoteReport This Post