Wordcraft Home Page    Wordcraft Community Home Page    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Wordplay    Bluffing Game 2
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bluffing Game 2 Login/Join

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Yes, I find it more than coincidental, CJ, that for 2 weeks in a row you have come up definitions that are very similar another. I often choose Bob's definitions.

BTW, thanks, Jerry, for choosing mine!

What is it about arnie's definitions????? Arnie, give us a clue as to how you devise them. Confused

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jerry thomas
posted Hide Post
So far ...

1. A religious doctrine that believes in the equal footing of all humans, plants, and animals in nature.

2. The act of adding a scent to the air; perfuming.

3. The rustling sound of the breeze in the trees.

4. Overactive tear ducts. Metaphorically, easily prone to weepiness.

5. Mechanical, repetitive (parrot-like) speech without thought of the meaning of the words spoken; from Psittacus, the genus name of parrots.

6. The recurrence in a plant or animal of primitive characteristics that have not been seen in intervening generations

7. Scarring of the penile frenulum resulting in painful erection and distortion of the glans, particularly in circumcised men.

[This message was edited by jerry thomas on Mon Feb 23rd, 2004 at 20:19.]

Posts: 6708 | Location: Kehena Beach, Hawaii, U.S.A.Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jerry thomas:
So far ...

1. A religious doctrine that believes in the equal footing of all humans, plants, and animals in nature.

(( Am I doing this right ??? ))

Hmmm, I can't help thinking that posting the phoney definitions as they come in sort of undermines the logivc of the game...

Every silver lining has a cloud.
Read all about my travels around the world here.
Read even more of my travel writing and poems on my weblog.

Posts: 9421 | Location: EnglandReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
quote:
Arnie, give us a clue as to how you devise them.
Heh. If I did that you'd all be writing them! Big Grin

I did give a clue in my post of 14 February about quisquilious. Wink

Posts: 10940 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
quote:
Hmmm, I can't help thinking that posting the phoney definitions as they come in sort of undermines the logivc of the game
I suppose it all depends on whether the real definition has been included in the list yet...

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
quote:
I suppose it all depends on whether the real definition has been included in the list yet...
Yes, because if it is included then everyone will know that anything posted later won't be right. Since we don't know, however, let's leave it alone this time.

In the future though, do you think we should wait for all the definitions (usually 6 or 7) and then post them all at once?

Picture of jerry thomas
posted Hide Post
Can we look forward to a seminar or workshop in Apprentice Wordmastership?

Posts: 6708 | Location: Kehena Beach, Hawaii, U.S.A.Reply With QuoteReport This Post
<Asa Lovejoy>
posted
No official classes, but it would probably be best to wait until all likely suspects have posted their responses before posting any of them.

The Grand Poobah

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
poor jerry..

This is stressful! Fly us all to Hawaii - my suggestion, again!... and I'm sure Asa will give you exact instructions. Wink

Posts: 3737 | Location: Georgia, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jerry thomas
posted Hide Post
Send your flight number and arrival time at Hilo Airport and I'll be there to pick you up. Hilo is 30 miles north of my place. BTW the beach down yonder (3 blocks down the hill and across the "highway") where the waves break every twenty seconds on the black sand is invisible from the coast road because of the 40-foot cliff that looms over it. Perhaps it's that element of relative seclusion that make it a clothing-optional beach. Whether or not you bring beach attire is ..... all up to YOU.

Suggestion ==> Googleize "kehena beach" and see what you find. HERE'S one.

Picture of jerry thomas
posted Hide Post
In an e-mail someone named Geoff Sanders sent me a definition for psithurism.

Is Geoff Sanders a member of this community?

posted Hide Post
jerry,

Geoff Sanders is ASA LOVEJOY... Roll Eyes

posted Hide Post
Is that YOU clinging to that rock in that picture? Goodness, jerry... you're too old for that... Razz

Picture of jerry thomas
posted Hide Post
... when the voting starts?

If the on-duty Wordmaster is to decide, I'll now say: LET THE VOTING BEGIN!!

5. Mechanical, repetitive (parrot-like) speech without thought of the meaning of the words spoken; from Psittacus, the genus name of parrots.

6. The recurrence in a plant or animal of primitive characteristics that have not been seen in intervening generations

7. Deleted.

[This message was edited by jerry thomas on Tue Feb 24th, 2004 at 2:59.]

<Asa Lovejoy>
posted
Uhhh, Jerry, by not knowing my real name, and by having posted the six answers you'd already received, you gave away my answer. I hereby declare this round a wipe-out! Y'all just choose among the first six responses.

The humiliated ex-Grand Poobah

Geoff (Asa Lovejoy) Sanders

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Asa, whatever happened (and I am not clear), I can assure you that I hadn't figured out anything. I just saw 7 definitions and took it from there.

<Asa Lovejoy>
posted
Kalleh, I feel that I'm not sufficiently organized, nor have I explained the rules suficiently well to run this game. I have upset Jerry, which was not my intention, and I feel very badly about it. I therefore request that one of you who is more capable of managing this game take over as Poobah.

Picture of jerry thomas
posted Hide Post
Bob Hale voted for #1. A religious doctrine that believes in the equal footing of all humans, plants, and animals in nature. Author: KHC.

Nobody voted for #2. The act of adding a scent to the air; perfuming. Author: arnie

Both Kalleh and arnie voted for #3. The rustling sound of the breeze in the trees. Author: Jerry.

KHCvoted for #4. Overactive tear ducts. Metaphorically, easily prone to weepiness. Author: C. J. Strolin

C. J. Strolin voted for #5. Mechanical, repetitive (parrot-like) speech without thought of the meaning of the words spoken; from Psittacus, the genus name of parrots. Author: Kalleh

Nobody voted for #6. The recurrence in a plant or animal of primitive characteristics that have not been seen in intervening generations. Author: Bob Hale.

During its brief life here, several players voted for #7. Deleted.

I never was any good at accounting, so I'm forced by ignorance to leave the scoring up to those who know more about it than I.

One thing is certain: Asa Lovejoy (aka/Geoff Sanders) will be awarded a lifetime supply of film for his digital camera, as compensation for inadvertent offense.

posted Hide Post
Kalleh - 2pts. for guessing correctly
1 pt. for fooling CJ (Total 3 pts. - Go Kalleh!!)
KHC - 1 pt. for fooling BobHale
Arnie - 2 pts. for guessing correctly
CJ - 1 pt. for fooling KHC

Everyone take a deep breath.. it's over.. Come on, Asa, be our Grand Poobah again.. Big Grin

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Yes, please, Asa, please stay. You are our mighty Grand Pooh Bah!

I have some grand totals here; please let me know if you think I've made a mistake:

arnie - 25
CJ - 9 1/2 (how did you get that half point?)
Kalleh - 9
Asa - 8
Bob - 8
KHC - 6
Shu - 3
Wordnerd - 3
WinterBranch - 2
Hab - 1
Jerry - 0

Keep in mind that those with the lower scores haven't been playing the game as much.

All I can say is arnie, arnie, arnie! Mad

Now, how do you feel about the choices being made privately? I, for one, missed them being posted, but that could just be me. It is a game after all, and the fun of it is the give and take of posting. However, arnie got it right again! Razz

Secondly, let's agree to post all definitions at once after everyone has e-mailed them to the WordMaster. You might need to noodge a bit. Generally 6 or so definitions are good.

Grand Pooh Bah (please stay!), who should be next?

[This message was edited by Kalleh on Tue Feb 24th, 2004 at 20:00.]

Picture of jerry thomas
posted Hide Post
Please click here.

Whew!!

~~~ jerry

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Jerry, that was beautiful. Thank you.

Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
That's how I got it, arnie. Generally, if I get a word right it's because I know it. I am a bad guesser. I talk myself out of the right answer an into something quite unlikely. Roll Eyes

Picture of C J Strolin
posted Hide Post
Dammit, I knew that word sounded familiar!!

Posts: 1517 | Location: Illinois, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
To Your Highness, the Grand Pooh Bah, I humbly nominate CJ as our next WordMaster. He has diligently played the game with us and hasn't posted a word yet.

Picture of C J Strolin
posted Hide Post
Thanks but, in all fairness, I should pass. I presented the word "contesseration" in round 3. (And boy, I thought I was being forgetful when I didn't recall "psithurism" from a few months ago!)

Plus, to be perfectly honest with you all, I'm going to have to draw back a bit, participation-wise, from this forum due to demands made upon my time by work. Monday and Tuesday postings will probably be the norm for a while though lurking will be a possibility when time permits.

Regarding this last round, with KHC biting on my "overly weepy" definition, I extend my streak of only fooling women. What this says about them or me, I don't know, but after a bit of a dry stretch I'm overjoyed to have fooled anyone.

[This message was edited by C J Strolin on Wed Feb 25th, 2004 at 14:47.]

Posts: 1517 | Location: Illinois, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
I suggest shufitz as our next WordMaster. He's entered most if not all the games and hasn't yet been in charge. Bob Hale would also be an excellent candidate but his computer problems might make things difficult at the moment.

Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by arnie:
I suggest shufitz as our next WordMaster. He's entered most if not all the games and hasn't yet been in charge. Bob Hale would also be an excellent candidate but his computer problems might make things difficult at the moment.

I did one recently and as you say my computer problems mean it's not a good idea right now.
(I'm at work at the moment !)

Every silver lining has a cloud.
Read all about my travels around the world here.
Read even more of my travel writing and poems on my weblog.

Posts: 9421 | Location: EnglandReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
I'll pass the word to Shu. I am sure he would love to!

Picture of shufitz
posted Hide Post
"OK; I'll start a new thread," said shufitz bluffly².

Posts: 2666 | Location: Chicago, IL USAReply With QuoteReport This Post