Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Haiku Login/Join

posted
Some years ago I visited this site to learn about the word "hurpled". I needed it to write a Haiku about my surgery. A couple days ago, I found the page I had printed out, with the WordCraft URL at the bottom. So I thought I would post the outcome of that search.

First off, I am a Flounder (www.flounder.com). This is my avatar. No, it would take too long to explain the whole history.

I suffered from diverticulitis for decades, but a couple years ago it went beyond inconvenient and became life-threatening. So I had surgery, which consisted of snipping out half my colon. It was undoubtedly the most expensive change in punctuation mark ever performed: I went in with a colon, and came out with a semicolon.

I left a copy of this with my surgeon. I am certain that no one else had ever written a Haiku about his work.

Hurpled Flounder. Sliced,
Diced, and stapled. Just to be
Repunctuated.

Picture of Greg S
posted Hide Post
Nice work! Many years ago, I gave my Proctologist a copy of a poem I wrote about the haemorrhoid operation he had performed on me. He thanked me for it but said that he wouldn't be putting it up on his wall as it would scare all his future patients off.

I have a copy of it hidden somewhere but I haven't been able to find it for years. However there were a couple of unforgettable (at least for me) stanzas in it that came to mind, as soon as I read your Post:

When finally the breakthrough comes you scream for all you're worth,
And realise what it must be like for women giving birth.
You look inside the bowl where that monster made its dash
And are horrified to find the bugger barely made a splash.

You get a shot of morphine from a sympathetic nurse,
Who cannot reassure that it wont get any worse.
The only saving grace in this ghastly tale of woe
Is that, unlike San Francisco, when the Big One comes you'll know!

Regards Greg

Posts: 991 | Location: Melbourne AustraliaReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Welcome, Flounder! We like verses here and have discussed haikus here and here. I'd love to start another thread on them!

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post