Wordcraft Home Page    Wordcraft Community Home Page    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Wordplay    Bluffing Game - rickroll
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bluffing Game - rickroll Login/Join

posted
I'm new here, though I have read some of the past games. I believe that this word:

rickroll

might prove to be amusing. As I understand the rules, it is verboten to look up this word before making your guess at the submissions.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Valentine,

Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
Great to see someone new jump in with such enthusiasm. I'll send you a definition in the next day or so.

"No man but a blockhead ever wrote except for money." Samuel Johnson.

Posts: 9421 | Location: EnglandReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
Ditto what Bob said. Smile

My PM is on its way.

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Posts: 10940 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Beautiful!

Thanks, Valentine. Now, Wordcrafters, let's make this a good one!

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have submissions from jerry thomas, Kalleh, arnie and BobHale. Boy, you folks can't agree on anything. They are all completely different.

I've made up my own, so that would be six. I hope that there will be more.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Valentine,

Picture of bethree5
posted Hide Post
Mine's in

Posts: 2605 | Location: As they say at 101.5FM: Not New York... Not Philadelphia... PROUD TO BE NEW JERSEY!Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of shufitz
posted Hide Post
And mine.

Posts: 2666 | Location: Chicago, IL USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That makes 6, plus one of mine, and the real one.
Asa Lovejoy, haberdasher and wordmatic played on lirp, but not here yet.

I'll wait at least 24 hours.

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Asa started this game many moons ago, so let me rattle his cage. Wordmatic's sister is in town from New Zealand, so she is probably too busy. Hab usually joins us, so let's hope he will.

posted Hide Post
thinking...thinking...thinking...

Posts: 6267 | Location: Worcester, MA, USReply With QuoteReport This Post
<Asa Lovejoy>
posted
Nobody had posted a new word in soooooooo long that I hadn't checked lately. Mine's in!

And many thanks, Valentine, for doing it!

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Last chance. I have 8 entries. Will post at Noon, Eastern Daylight Time, on Sunday.

posted Hide Post
Here they are. Much variety to choose from. South Africa to Australia to England. 13th to 21st centuries. From dining to dressing.

1) The corded edging at the neckline of a smocked bodice. Sewn on the bias, usually trimmed with rickrack.

2) S.Afr. A bedding used in long hiking treks.

3) v. The practice of sending language learners to a number of different developing countries, each to learn the others' newly developing language. Originally pronounced "re-creole" (in Creole).

4) v. To lead an internet user to a web page containing a music video of "Never Gonna Give You Up", by Rick Astley.

5) A fish dish made from salmon and breadcrumbs. Named for the British chef Rick Stein who created it.

6) Rolled-up bedding carried on the back.

7) n. Agricultural survey in Cumberland, performed annually from the mid thirteenth century until 1717.

8) A game played with colorful spherical magnets, which link together in chains or groups. Chiefly Australian.

9) A grainy or lumpy confection.

10) A quantity of pre-shaped zig-zag ribbon to be attached to the hem of a skirt or blouse as decoration.

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Great job, Valentine! If I didn't know better, I'd think you'd been with us for years (is that grammatically correct? I think not, but I am not sure).

I choose number 9, though number 8 was intriguing, too.

BTW, at some point I know our members would be interested to learn of your college experience with this game.

Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
Though it's perhaps too easy a guess, I'll try 6,

Picture of jerry thomas
posted Hide Post
Number eight.

(easy for tasmanian devils)

Posts: 6708 | Location: Kehena Beach, Hawaii, U.S.A.Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
I'll go for 9.

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

<Asa Lovejoy>
posted
It's almost like the name of a small town south of here, Rickreall, but since small towns aren't one of the choices, I'll take a wild flying guess at five.

posted Hide Post
Lessee, now.

1 and 10 overlap, which should eliminate both.
2 and 6 ditto.
4 and 5 ditto.
I prefer 9, and not because it snared Arnie, either.

But for effrontery and zaniness I have to go back to 4our. Though who Rick Astley is I have no idea, but I'm certain he doesn't deserve to have a word named after him. Maybe it'll become a name embodying scorn, like the Gerry of Gerrymander.

Posts: 6267 | Location: Worcester, MA, USReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
bethree5 and shufitz? You are the only ones who haven't made a guess.

<Asa Lovejoy>
posted
Enough waiting, Valentine, post the results!

Picture of shufitz
posted Hide Post
Sorry. With this forum so far down on forums list, I usually don't notice it.

Give me 10. Even if that definition doesn't have a word, it deserves one!

Posts: 2666 | Location: Chicago, IL USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Here are the results:

1) The corded edging at the neckline of a smocked bodice. Sewn on the bias, usually trimmed with rickrack. Submitted by bethree5, guessed by no one.

2) S.Afr. A bedding used in long hiking treks. Submitted by shufitz, guessed by no one.

3) v. The practice of sending language learners to a number of different developing countries, each to learn the others' newly developing language. Originally pronounced "re-creole" (in Creole). Submitted by jerry thomas, guessed by no one.

4) v. To lead an internet user to a web page containing a music video of "Never Gonna Give You Up", by Rick Astley. The real one. Guessed by haberdasher.

5) A fish dish made from salmon and breadcrumbs. Named for the British chef Rick Stein who created it. Submitted by BobHale, guessed by Asa Lovejoy.

6) Rolled-up bedding carried on the back. Submitted by arnie, guessed by BobHale.

7) n. Agricultural survey in Cumberland, performed annually from the mid thirteenth century until 1717. My fake one, guessed by no one.

8) A game played with colorful spherical magnets, which link together in chains or groups. Chiefly Australian. Submitted by Kalleh, guessed by jerry thomas.

9) A grainy or lumpy confection. Submitted by Asa Lovejoy, guessed by Kalleh and arnie .

10) A quantity of pre-shaped zig-zag ribbon to be attached to the hem of a skirt or blouse as decoration. Submitted by haberdasher, guessed by shufitz.

So, the big winners are haberdasher, who got it right, and suckered shufitz, and Asa Lovejoy, who suckered Kalleh and arnie .

This is a very new word, and may also be a short-lived one. I was first rickrolled back in February or so, by my teen-aged nephew. At the time, the word was unknown to me. The wikipedia entry at "rickrolling" describes it well, and even has an etymology.

This particular phenomenon will undoubtedly die soon, but the word may come to generally describe the practice of misdirecting surfers. That practice will surely never die.

In any case, the word will survive as part of internet lore, just as tub-girl and goatse will. (If you don't already know what those two mean, you don't want to know. Trust me.)

I tried to privately message each of you as soon as your guess was made to prevent mishaps. Many rickroll pages these days are combined with javascript that causes the browser window to bounce around the screen, making it virtually impossible to stop the video/music, short of closing the browser. My apologies if you got caught. If you are rickrolled in the future, you should be able to stop the madness by disabling javascript, even while the bouncing is ongoing.

Who is next?

Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
I routinely run with javascript disabled and various other bits of the software too. I only turn them on when I know I'm going to visit a site that needs them and is known to be safe. There's a lot nastier stuff out there than Rick Astley videos.

posted Hide Post
You can say that again, though you are in a very distinct minority. I use lynx for most of my surfing, which doesn't support javascript at all.

I once created a page with some very simple scripting that, believe it or not, caused the viewer's OD drive, or drives, to open. A friend of mine passed it along to all his cow-orkers, and sat back and listened to the howls. That particular script is blocked by default in modern versions of Windows.

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
quote:
So, the big winners are haberdasher, who got it right, and suckered shufitz, and Asa Lovejoy, who suckered Kalleh and arnie .

Am I a "little winner" then since I suckered Jerry? Wink

BTW, I made a mistake when I had said I was intrigued by my own (duh!); I had meant to say I was intrigued by #7 (Valentine's). How could I be intrigued by my own? Roll Eyes

Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
I was looking through the preferences for the Firefox Adblock Plus extension, and came across a filter for rickrolls. There's a database at http://rickrolldb.com/