Wordcraft Home Page    Wordcraft Community Home Page    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Wordplay    Limerick game - Oslo
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Limerick game - Oslo Login/Join

Picture of Mike
posted
Well this was a surprise. I was torn between my current city and my place of birth, but in the end my birthplace is going to have to wait. Both are quite tricky to rhyme, but I think that Oslo may be slightly trickier. The stress is OZlo. Please send me your limericks before the deadline (I have no idea how long this normally is, but I'm sure someone will be able to let us know). If it proves impossible do I get to choose another?

Posts: 71 | Location: OsloReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Greg S
posted Hide Post
Finding two rhymes for Oslo and somehow turning them into a mildly amusing limerick, to my mind at least, makes rhyming all 4 syllables of San Francisco 6 times in 3 limericks, seem like a walk in the park. Have you got any yet?

Regards Greg

Posts: 991 | Location: Melbourne AustraliaReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
I can't think of any rhymes and a rhyming dictionary only gives "Koslow", which is, apparently, a very rare surname. "Go slow" is near, but is not an exact rhyme.

If you don't get many (or any) entries within a couple of days, Michael, I suggest you try again with a different word. We have had a precedent for this; at least once the word was changed because it was too hard to rhyme.

I'd suggest waiting a week (provided you start getting some entries); with luck you will have received six or seven entries which seems about the average, although sometimes people are inspired to submit multiple entries. It would then be an idea to post here again warning that the deadline for entries will be in a day or so, just to remind any stragglers.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: arnie,

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Posts: 10940 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
Some of us like a challenge.

"No man but a blockhead ever wrote except for money." Samuel Johnson.

Posts: 9421 | Location: EnglandReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Well, Dorothy brought the mighty Oz low.

It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society. -J. Krishnamurti

Posts: 6168 | Location: Muncie, IndianaReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Hey, good one, Geoff!

Yes, I agree with Bob, though I didn't always. I used to whine about the hard ones, but now I find them kinda fun. We just have to forgive a little as we vote.

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Mike
posted Hide Post
I have, rather amazingly, received 4 attempts already (although it must be said, there is a distinct paucity of exact rhymes). So come on you raver, you seer of visions...

<Proofreader>
posted
I have forwarded a gem.

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Greg S
posted Hide Post
I can't wait to read it Proof.

Regards Greg

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Well, I am stuck, and here is why: Link

Click on the pronunciation of it, and to me it sounds like "is-low." I can't see that either syllable is stressed, and to my ears it's "is" (as in "sis," and not "iz"), not "OZ." This is why IPA comes in handy, I guess.

In all fairness, I've only heard it pronounced (except by Wikipedia) as Michael wrote it.

Picture of Greg S
posted Hide Post
Remember Wikipedia is edited by the masses, and is not always a reliable source of information.

Regards Greg

Picture of stella
posted Hide Post
You know, that sounds like "oohsh-looh" to me but I guess we go by the English PG.

It's a tricky one all right - I have a germ of an idea but it needs some polishing and I'm not even sure I can get it shiny.

Picture of Mike
posted Hide Post
In Norwegian, the pronunciation is pretty much as you describe it, Stella. However, that is a theme for all foreign cities -- they are rarely pronounced by the locals as we pronounce them in English. As you say, I think we should use the English PG. Looking forward to reading your gem, polished or not.

Picture of stella
posted Hide Post
Mine's a germ, Michael - proof's is the gem Big Grin

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
I believe mine will be a virus, but I'll send it tomorrow.

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
quote:
Remember Wikipedia is edited by the masses, and is not always a reliable source of information.
True...but...I don't think pronunciation is cut and dry; that's why I checked Wikipedia, as well as dictionary.com. I wish I understood IPA.

I don't have mine yet, but I am working...

Picture of Mike
posted Hide Post
Ding, ding, ding! Last call for limericks. I have five so far, which, considering the difficulty of the task, is a pretty good return. I'll wait a couple more days for the stragglers (come on Kalleh Wink ), and then post the poll on wednesday.

<Proofreader>
posted
Miss Mimi, an OEDILF member, posted a thread about this woman who is writing limericks in her 100th year.
Is there no way to stop this insidious practice? Surely once you've matured, you can (and should) stop.

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
quote:
who is writing limericks in her 100th year
May we all be there... Wink

Mine's in, but I guarantee you that it won't come close to winning...or even getting a vote. I couldn't come up with much. Also, once the winner is selected, I have a fundamental question about rhymes. I thought I understood rhymes with multiple syllables, but I am no longer sure.

Picture of bethree5
posted Hide Post
Got one in just under the wire I hope

Posts: 2605 | Location: As they say at 101.5FM: Not New York... Not Philadelphia... PROUD TO BE NEW JERSEY!Reply With QuoteReport This Post