Wordcraft Home Page    Wordcraft Community Home Page    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Wordplay    Bluffing Game: autosquop
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bluffing Game: autosquop Login/Join

Picture of wordmatic
posted
I'll be surprised if one of you doesn't know this word, though I only heard of it for the first time today.

Please send me your daffynitions for autosquop via PM, and remember not to delete your entry until the game is over!

Wordmatic

Posts: 1390 | Location: Near Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Mine's on the way, and you know I haven't heard of it. Roll Eyes

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'll try to think of one and send it tonight.

Posts: 915 | Location: IowaReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wordmatic
posted Hide Post
Three so far...all wonderful. Need more autosquops before this game can autostoup!

Posts: 1390 | Location: Near Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wordmatic
posted Hide Post
Here are/is the daffy/defi/nitions, all truly inventive answers. Cast your votes, and if you are never wrong, please consider voting later rather than sooner, so as not to give hints to those whose understanding of obscure words is not as accurate. In the biz, we call this an autosquop handicap. Wink

WM

Autosquop

1. To serve oneself.

2. One who is insolently proud; superior manner toward inferiors.

3. Tradename of an automated dishwasher for glassware.

4. Vernacular for hazardous waste removed from automobile wrecking yards.

5. The involuntary cessation of sound while speaking.

6. In certain non-alphabetic languages, a repetition of strokes in different symbols, thought to be a mnemonic device.

7. To shoot a wink that ends up coming to rest under another wink, squopped.

8. To exchange one item for another among one's own possessions.

Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
I don't know but it sounds like it should be 7. So 7 it is.

"No man but a blockhead ever wrote except for money." Samuel Johnson.

Posts: 9421 | Location: EnglandReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Caterwauller
posted Hide Post
I cast my guessed vote for #2.

"Happiness is not something ready made. It comes from your own actions.
~Dalai Lama

Posts: 5149 | Location: Columbus, OhioReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post

Posts: 915 | Location: IowaReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
I will choose #7, even though I know that Jo did. I only looked at the selections before making my choice so I am not trying to gain an advantage by choosing Jo's choice.

Great daffynitions, everyone!

posted Hide Post
I picked 7 too.

Myth Jellies
Cerebroplegia--the cure is within our grasp

posted Hide Post
"I didn't even see the call for submissions, but I'll take 7 anyway," he winked.

Posts: 6267 | Location: Worcester, MA, USReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pearce
posted Hide Post
No 7 for me too.Autosquop

Posts: 424 | Location: Yorkshire, EnglandReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
I'm kinda getting a feeling about this one.

"No man but a blockhead ever wrote except for money." Samuel Johnson.

Posts: 9421 | Location: EnglandReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wordmatic
posted Hide Post
Me too, Bob. Me too. But I'm waiting for Asa to vote. Asa? Asa?

Wautosquop

Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
I'll go with the flow ... 7 for me, please.

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Posts: 10940 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
<Asa Lovejoy>
posted
Oh, drat, I didn't get an e-mail telling me these were posted. Too late to vote, since the always right pair has voted. Oh, welllll.....

I assume it's referring to tiddlywinks, not to one's eyelids? Or does it mean that if one grabs another's tiddlies, the one grabee winks?

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wordmatic
posted Hide Post
Sigh. And it was my fondest wish to fool everyone. It appears that I am a victim of my very own autobluffsquop!

So, OK, to the obvious:

Autosquop

1. To serve oneself--by Arnie, guessed by no one.

2. One who is insolently proud; superior manner toward inferiors.--Kalleh's proud answer, guessed by Caterwauller!

3. Tradename of an automated dishwasher for glassware--Myth Jellies' invention, which no one purchased.

4. Vernacular for hazardous waste removed from automobile wrecking yards--Jo's likely sounding hazmat, which even the EPA ignored.

5. The involuntary cessation of sound while speaking--Caterwauller's affliction, which a voice coach might be able to cure.

6. In certain non-alphabetic languages, a repetition of strokes in different symbols, thought to be a mnemonic device--Asa characterized his 'nition as "a shipload of fertilizer!"

7. To shoot a wink that ends up coming to rest under another wink, squopped--the official definition from the website of the North American Tiddlywinks Association. The correct answer. Who knew there was actual Tournament Tiddlywinks being played the world over? Apparently almost all of you!

8. To exchange one item for another among one's own possessions--my own offering, a lame attempt to throw everyone off the scent.

I bumped into this strange term while trying to solve that killer New York Times Sunday crossword puzzle, "Spellcheck" a few weeks ago. I even searched for "squop" and "autosquop" threads on the site. You people are all just too clever! Next time, I hope I stumble into something even more obscure!

Arnie, do I hold the site record for the least mysterious entry in the history of The Bluffing Game? ;-)

Wordmatic

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
No, I don't think so, Wordmatic. I believe I've had one where everyone got the right answer.

Anyway, it was a great word. We talked about it last January, and that's how I knew it, though I didn't recognize it until the daffynitions came out.

Picture of wordmatic
posted Hide Post
I guess I should have looked for it in the past tense!