Wordcraft Home Page    Wordcraft Community Home Page    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Wordplay    Bluffing game word: donnybrook
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bluffing game word: donnybrook Login/Join

Picture of arnie
posted
Please let me have your daffynitions by PM for donnybrook. Remember, no looking up the meaning first!

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Posts: 10940 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
Three entries so far. Keep 'em coming.

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
Nine daffys in up to now, with at least one regular to this game still to enter. More please.

Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
Another daffy received. Smile

I'll give it another day then if I have time I'll post what I've got.

Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
Here are the daffynitions for donnybrook:

1. A bridge built with gaps to allow for expansion during hot weather.
2. Tightly woven but light weight woolen riding breeches.
3. The name of the battle won by King Harold prior to his losing the Battle of Hastings.
4. An initiation, from the eponymous pre-Christian Scotch village wherein girls were initiated by being given uisge beatha until besotted, then deflowered by the village elders.
5. Colloquial reference to The Boat Race, the annual rowing contest between the boat clubs of Oxford and Cambridge Universities.
6. An extremely baffling or confusing puzzle or problem. A conundrum.
7. A creek that originates from a spring.
8. A sylvan stream by a rustic old mill.
9. A club originally wielded by Celtic warriors.
10. A meal similar to gruel from the Scottish highlands.
11. A brawl or fracas; a scene of chaos.
12. Slang for the town idiot.
13. A unique species of fish found only in New Mexico.
14. (aka the donnybrook knot) was a necktie knot made know by "Donny" Edward Hathaway a respected Jazz musician from Chicago Illinois known for his Chicago soul, and R & b Blues.

Is this a record number of entries? Admittedly, several people sent in two or more daffys, but still...

Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
Usually I can eliminate one or two because they are clearly jokes but this is as fine a selection as I've seen so I'm going to have to pick from 13 (obviously I know one of them is mine!)

I'll try 9

"No man but a blockhead ever wrote except for money." Samuel Johnson.

Posts: 9421 | Location: EnglandReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It's a Celtic warrior wearing tightly woven woolen breeches in a brawl with the town idiot who was eating a meal similar to gruel down by a rustic old mill, right?

It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society. -J. Krishnamurti

Posts: 6171 | Location: Muncie, IndianaReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Geoff:
It's a Celtic warrior wearing tightly woven woolen breeches in a brawl with the town idiot who was eating a meal similar to gruel down by a rustic old mill, right?

Weren't they eating a rare fish? And what about the tie?

I'll go with 8 (so it's probably 11, my second choice)

Posts: 244 | Location: ColoradoReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tom:

Weren't they eating a rare fish? And what about the tie?

Oh, I forgot: The village idiot had his spurtle stuck in his tie, and was stirring his gruel with it. Since they were in Scotland, they had salmon, which is not rare.

Oh, I forgot to vote! It's #11! Absolutely! If you don't believe me I'll gobsmack you with the remains of the idiot's salmon!

It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society. -J. Krishnamurti

Picture of bethree5
posted Hide Post
My vote is cast for No. 11

Posts: 2605 | Location: As they say at 101.5FM: Not New York... Not Philadelphia... PROUD TO BE NEW JERSEY!Reply With QuoteReport This Post
<Proofreader>
posted
As I told Arnie, I know the def so I won't vote. But if I didn't know it, I would be hard put to choose one of these.

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
It occurs to me that if you voted and if you didn't tell anyone that you knew it - then no one would know.
arnie always knows it and always votes

Picture of bethree5
posted Hide Post
Agreed Bob. When my cousins & I played the game Fictionary (via paper slips passed around a circle, but same idea), the word-choooser won the game if no one guessed the real definition. Otherwise the win went to whoever's daffynition garnered the most votes. Knowing the definition was a secret advantage. We could play the game that way, poll-style.

Posts: 2605 | Location: As they say at 101.5FM: Not New York... Not Philadelphia... PROUD TO BE NEW JERSEY!Reply With QuoteReport This Post
<Proofreader>
posted
God told me to be honest.

At least, that's what the voices in my head say, although if it's God, why are there so many different voices? And why are there commericials?

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
#3; I don't think it's correct, but none of them works for me.

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I agree with bethree; go ahead and vote next time, Proof. Since you've revealed that you and god know the answer, it would be naughty to vote this time. I've played both fictionary and the commercial version, Bladderbash - or is that Balderdash, and that's how it's done.

<Proofreader>
posted
The demonic incantations from the imps at Wordcraft are clashing with the intonations emanating from my cerebral cortex! What to do? What to Do?

Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
Buy those darned voices a drink. They'll soon shut up.

Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
Any more guesses?

posted Hide Post
I could make 13 more guesses, but I think I'll stick. Smile

posted Hide Post
11...but could well have been named after 3.

Posts: 6270 | Location: Worcester, MA, USReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
Here are the results for donnybrook:

1. A bridge built with gaps to allow for expansion during hot weather.
Bob's - no takers
2. Tightly woven but light weight woolen riding breeches.
Geoff's - no takers
3. The name of the battle won by King Harold prior to his losing the Battle of Hastings.
Geoff's - fooled Kalleh
4. An initiation, from the eponymous pre-Christian Scotch village wherein girls were initiated by being given uisge beatha until besotted, then deflowered by the village elders.
Geoff's - no takers
5. Colloquial reference to The Boat Race, the annual rowing contest between the boat clubs of Oxford and Cambridge Universities.
bethree5's - no takers
6. An extremely baffling or confusing puzzle or problem. A conundrum.
Tom's - no takers
7. A creek that originates from a spring.
Tom's - no takers
8. A sylvan stream by a rustic old mill.
Proofreader's - fooled Tom
9. A club originally wielded by Celtic warriors.
Proofreader's - fooled Bob
10. A meal similar to gruel from the Scottish highlands.
Proofreader's - no takers
11. A brawl or fracas; a scene of chaos.
The real thing - Geoff, bethree5 and haberdasher got it right.
12. Slang for the town idiot.
Kalleh's - no takers
13. A unique species of fish found only in New Mexico.
Tom's - no takers
14. (aka the donnybrook knot) was a necktie knot made know by "Donny" Edward Hathaway a respected Jazz musician from Chicago Illinois known for his Chicago soul, and R & b Blues.
Tom's - no takers.

posted Hide Post
I just can't fool anyone. My poker-face must not be as good as I thought it was. I better quit using that "winky-face icon. Wink

posted Hide Post
How many of us know what uisge beatha is?

Picture of bethree5
posted Hide Post
I had to look that one up, for sure! Pronounced "wish-ga bah-ha", it was the Scottish Gaelic translation of Latin "aqua vitae" (lively water or water of life); medieval monasteries took up whiskey distillation (from methods originating with Arabs and Greeks), primarily for medicinal use; its use spread from Italian to Scottish and Irish monastic life in the 13thc., becoming secular soon after. (And the rest is history Wink)

posted Hide Post
Oh, fooey, I thought it was pretty well-known! I shoulda used it as a bluffing word! Now I'll go drown my sorrows in some. Razz

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Well heck. Who's up next?

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
quote:
I shoulda used it as a bluffing word!

I don't think we should use a Scots Gaelic phrase for the Bluffing Game...