Wordcraft Home Page    Wordcraft Community Home Page    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Foreign Words    Foreign concepts, in a word
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Foreign concepts, in a word Login/Join

Picture of bethree5
posted
This article was highlighted in one of the closing 'Clicks' on MSNBC's "All in with Chris Hayes" last night. More 'untranslatable' words translated. Check it out, the graphics are fun.

My favorite is the Inuit word "Iktsuarpok", meaning "The feeling of anticipation that leads you to go outside and check if anyone is coming, and probably also indicates an element of impatience."

Posts: 2049 | Location: As they say at 101.5FM: Not New York... Not Philadelphia... PROUD TO BE NEW JERSEY!Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Proofreader
posted Hide Post
Do we have a word for untranslatable words?

What do you call the moment when you have one foot in the tub but can't recall if you've finished washing or were just about to get in?

Give a man a fish and he can eat for one day; give a man a fishing pole and he will find an excuse to never work again.
Nollidj is power.

Posts: 5998 | Location: Rhode IslandReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Very interesting, Bethree. However, our in-house linguists would say that since they are translated right there on that document, they really aren't translatable.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Kalleh,

Posts: 23298 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post

Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
Wouldn't you, just once, love to see an article that started:

Twenty untranslatable words

Here are twenty untranslatable words from other languages. No definitions are given because they are untranslatable.

Splidlakaluk (Icelandic) - untranslatable
Ensonadilma (Portuguese) - untranslatable
Xgnglqvw (Tagalog) - Untranslatable

Posts: 7863 | Location: EnglandReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
Or an article that was titled

Esperanto: 20 untranslatable words

posted Hide Post

Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
Just for fun I put your words into Google translate and used the detect language feature.

It suggested that

sponsz might be Polish
rastapopoulos might be French
kûrvitaş might be Finnish
tlhaqSoD might be English (yes, really!)
myludh might be Welsh

It had no suggestions for the other words

Picture of zmježd
posted Hide Post
Oh, bother. I have ceased trying to convince people that all words are translatable. I now hold that all words are untranslatable, or that no words are translatable. I find that communication is impossible. Speaking or writing a language is not enough. The center does not hold. I do like woods-loneliness contemplating the chronometer-flood. Good show, Zukunftbreitdickicht.

Ceci n'est pas un seing.

Posts: 5085 | Location: R'lyehReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
We know that. And we know that all words are translatable. We are taking a non-too-subtle swipe at the people who don't.

(I still love it that Google Translate suggested that tlhaqSoD might be ENglish.)

Picture of zmježd
posted Hide Post
Eye no vat. The thing with Google translate is that its detect a language algorithm works better with a sentence than a single word. I like Sponz: the word would be pronounced very differently in Polish than in Hungarian. Sponsh vs Shpons.

Ceci n'est pas un seing.

Posts: 5085 | Location: R'lyehReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by zmježd:
Good show, Zukunftbreitdickicht.

Danke, Flügelwörter.