Wordcraft Home Page    Wordcraft Community Home Page    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Foreign Words    Artificial Intelligence
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Artificial Intelligence Login/Join

Picture of Kalleh
posted
There was an interesting editorial in the Chicago Tribune today about artificial intelligence. Apparently Google Translate has upgraded to what it calls the Google Neural Machine Translation. The program relies on a brain-like computational network to arrive at a logical meaning in just about any language. The difference seems stark:

Here is the Old Google Translate struggling to turn a Japanese sentence of a Hemingway line back into English: "Whether the leopard had what the demand at that altitude, there is no that nobody explained."

In the new Google Translate it is, ""No one has ever explained what leopard wanted at that altitude." It missed "the" in front of "leopard," but otherwise was perfect.

Who knows - our next president may be a computer. Wink

Posts: 23290 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
Given that your next president will be the one who becomes president on 20th January (and the winner of the 2016 bafflegab championship) I'd say the translation should be more like

I know leopards. I have some of the best leopards. My great uncle Tiberius was a leper himself and ah.. he..ah.. trained leopards. Those leopards could jump through hoops, climb trees and and mountains to any altitude. I don't know why. Maybe somebody knows why. I'm not saying they were at that altitude but I've heard it said. We don't know that these leopards were Russian. They could have been Chinese leopards or a two hundred pound leopard in an apartment sitting on his bed. But leopards are. We can't deny it it leopards are. There are leopards everywhere these days. Turn on the interweb and it's leopards everywhere. That's why we need cyber. Cyber is good. What was the question?"

This message has been edited. Last edited by: BobHale,

Posts: 7861 | Location: EnglandReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Too bad the TV series, "Cheers" was dropped. T. Rump would have been perfect as one of the addle-pated characters, and would have been much less harmful in that role.

Posts: 4432 | Location: In a cornfield in central IndianaReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
All I can say is "Woe are we..."

Shu and I were talking tonight, and it is like we have a royal family here. Unlike any other president, Donald is bringing his family into his administration. It all seems so different from any past regimes. While Kennedy's brother (Bobby) was the Attorney General, there was a huge outcry about it, which still continues today. Yet, Donald brings in his son, daughter, son-in-law, close business friends - all with no governmental experience - to run our country. As I said, "Woe are we!"

Posts: 23290 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post