Wordcraft Home Page    Wordcraft Community Home Page    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Foreign Words    cool Russian word
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

cool Russian word Login/Join

Picture of bethree5
posted
Saw this in a Time article today. Used to characterize Putin's proposed law to ban US adoptions of Russian children, it is:

"zhlobstvo" - "a Russian word that combines the notions of rudeness, pigheadedness and spleen"

Any Russian-speakers know if this is a good translation? Do I detect the word "slob" in there?

Posts: 2049 | Location: As they say at 101.5FM: Not New York... Not Philadelphia... PROUD TO BE NEW JERSEY!Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
жлобство: boorishness, slobbery

Picture of zmježd
posted Hide Post
zhlobstvo

It's not in Vasmer's etymological dictionary of russian. Too new perhaps. Wiktionary has it as a borrowing from Yiddish זשלאָב (zshlob) 'A person who is socially awkward, unattractive, clumsy, or oafish.' A schlub. The suffix -stvo is common for deriving abstract nouns.

Etymology Online suggest the Yiddish may be related to Polish żłób 'blockhead', although when I looked this word up it was translated as 'manger'.

Ceci n'est pas un seing.

Posts: 5085 | Location: R'lyehReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
quote:
zhlobstvo

I couldn't get it to translate in Google translate.

Posts: 23290 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kalleh:
quote:
zhlobstvo

Or any of another half dozen translation sites I ran it through both in this alphabet and the cyrillic lphabet.

Posts: 7861 | Location: EnglandReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of zmježd
posted Hide Post

Are you saying it's not a Russian word because it's not in any of the dictionaries you consulted? An odd sentiment for the champion of epicaricacy.

Ceci n'est pas un seing.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bethree5:
Do I detect the word "slob" in there?

As zmj says it is related to schlub. But slob is actually from Irish Gaelic slab "mud" which was borrowed from English slab "mud".

Picture of bethree5
posted Hide Post
.. which etymonline says was originally Scandinavian, citing Icelandic 'slabb'; they say slob was first used to mean untidy person (I'm reminded of Charles Schultz' character Pigpen) in 1861. Perhaps the two different sources (slabb and zshlob or zlob) met and reinforced each other in the massive emigrations associated with the Industrial Revolution. I usually hear 'slob' in the context of a dirt and general disarray, but often enough it's used to mean a person who is offensively stupid, i.e. w/total disregard for others-- I guess that's the E. Eur. application.

OK, now I'm getting angry at Al Capp (on behalf of Poles) for inventing the country "Lower Slobbovia".

Posts: 2049 | Location: As they say at 101.5FM: Not New York... Not Philadelphia... PROUD TO BE NEW JERSEY!Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The first 2 citations of slob "a dull, slow or untidy person" in the OED are Irish.

posted Hide Post
The Russian composer Mussorgsky punned his name on various occasions, since the earlier spelling, Мýсорский, looks as if it's derived from мýсoр, which means "garbage," or "rubbish." His elder brother added the "г" to make it look less like garbage. He was well known for being unkempt, so жлобство would also apply.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Geoff,

It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society. -J. Krishnamurti

Posts: 4432 | Location: In a cornfield in central IndianaReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bethree5
posted Hide Post
got a phonetic translation of that remark by any chance?

Picture of zmježd
posted Hide Post
Мýсорский (musorskij)
мýсoр (musor)
жлобство (zhlobstvo)

Ceci n'est pas un seing.

posted Hide Post
quote:
"zhlobstvo" - "a Russian word that combines the notions of rudeness, pigheadedness and spleen"

Any Russian-speakers know if this is a good translation? Do I detect the word "slob" in there?

While жлоб translates as "redneck, goon" … Not two words that usually go together. I think here tho, that "redneck" might be the better choice tho not a truly a good one. Redneck is not always a bad thing BUT it is often noted in a bad way to mean an unlearned, crude, country bumpkin. A goon is usually a thug or a bully.

I think the best oversetting of жлобство is "boorish": rough and bad-mannered; coarse: boorish behavior.

freespeller

posted Hide Post
One expects the French to see us as boorish, but Russians? Well, why not!

Good to see a new poster here, An Wulf!

It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society. -J. Krishnamurti

Posts: 4432 | Location: In a cornfield in central IndianaReply With QuoteReport This Post