Wordcraft Home Page    Wordcraft Community Home Page    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Foreign Words    French for "Gay Pride"
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

French for "Gay Pride" Login/Join

Picture of Hic et ubique
posted
While glancing at the bookstore's magazine rack, my eye fell upon the brightly-colored cover of a French publication, and as a brush-up of my poor French I tried to puzzle out the article-titles printed on the cover. One struck me:
    Gay Pride: Encore Utile? [translation: Gay Pride: still useful?
Interesting that the French should take the English term. Particularly on a sexual matter, you'd think that the French would have adequate vocabulary of their own!

Second point: to be honest here, I have changed the title slightly. It actually said (in French) "The Gay Pride: is it stlll useful?" All French nouns have masculine or feminine gender, with which the adjectives and pronouns ("the" and "it") must agree. The article title was one of these two, which I list alphabetically:
    La Gay Pride: et-elle Encore Utile? [feminine]
    Le Gay Pride: et-il Encore Utile? [masculine]
What do you think? Is "Gay Pride," in French a feminine noun of a masculine noun?

Picture of Richard English
posted Hide Post
I am sure there's a French word for it. But as is the case with many other concepts, the French homme in the rue often borrows an English word (Le T shirt", for example) doubtless to the fury of l'Académie Français

Richard English

Posts: 8037 | Location: Partridge Green, West Sussex, UKReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jerry thomas
posted Hide Post
A Google Search shows that the grammatical gender of "gay pride" in French is feminine.

Posts: 6710 | Location: Kehena Beach, Hawaii, U.S.A.Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Richard English
posted Hide Post
quote:
the grammatical gender of "gay pride" in French is feminine

I suppose that figures...

Richard English

Posts: 8037 | Location: Partridge Green, West Sussex, UKReply With QuoteReport This Post
<Asa Lovejoy>
posted
Isn't "gay pride" a cheerful family of lions?

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
"gay" has nothing to do with it. Is the noun "pride" masc. or fem.?

Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
It's feminine.
Interestingly the German for "pride" - Stolz - is masculine.

Posts: 7866 | Location: EnglandReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of zmježd
posted Hide Post
the German for "pride" - Stolz - is masculine

French orgueil 'pride' is also masculine, and gay, in this phrase, is the English word. The French adjective is gai. They just adopted the whole phrase, and since English pride looks like a feminine noun, they gendered it thus. Pride is from the Old French adjective prud 'brave' via Old English and Middle English.

Ceci n'est pas un seing.

Posts: 5085 | Location: R'lyehReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
My French is considerably weaker than my German and I confess I looked it up. The word I found was “fierté” which is feminine.

The German I knew already.

Posts: 7866 | Location: EnglandReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of zmježd
posted Hide Post
considerably weaker

OK, if it's true confessions time, I must admit my French is weak, too. I knew the word orgueil because of its etymology. I should've looked it up in a good French dictionary and seen that fierté is one of its synonyms. French orgueil, which is from Germanic urgōlī 'proud, arrogant'. The same root shows up in obsolete English orgel 'proud, haughty' (> Old English orȝel), and the French word was borrowed, too: English (OED) orgueil, Italian orgoglio 'pride, haughtiness'.

Interestingly, French fierté is from Latin feritas 'wildness, fierceness' > ferus 'wild'.

The German Stolz I knew. Other synonyms (from the LEO dictionary) are: Hochmut, Hoffart, Selbstgefühl, and Überheblichkeit

Ceci n'est pas un seing.

posted Hide Post
If a newcomer may comment: "fierté" and "orgueil" are not exact synonyms, the first having a positive, the second a rather negative connotation.

For instance, legitimate pride in one's accomplishments would be expressed as "fierté", whereas the "sin" of pride would be labelled "orgeuil"
Jane Austen's "Pride and Prejudice" is always translated as Orgueil et préjugés"

Posts: 4 | Location: Rhône Valley, SwitzerlandReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of zmježd
posted Hide Post
The French Wikipedia article on Gay Pride. The French term, Marche des Fiertés, is not an exact translation (viz. link) of the English term.

Ceci n'est pas un seing.

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
It's nice to see somebody from Switzerland here, toraspanda!

Posts: 23300 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thank you Kalleh Smile (I'm actually Welsh, but have been living in Switzerland for the past forty years.)

Posts: 4 | Location: Rhône Valley, SwitzerlandReply With QuoteReport This Post