Wordcraft Home Page    Wordcraft Community Home Page    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Foreign Words    Gender differences
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Gender differences Login/Join

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
quote:
before the squeamish started using it as a euphemism for biological sex.
I learn so much from z! I do remember the point, made here on WC, that language genders are different from human genders. However, now I learn of a new definition of squeamish. I've always used it to mean "easily made to feel sick," but there is also a definition of, "having strong moral views."

Come to think of it, if you have strong moral views you probably are easily made sick. Wink

Posts: 23290 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of zmježd
posted Hide Post
I've always used it to mean "easily made to feel sick," but there is also a definition of, "having strong moral views."

I was using the word in the sense of "easily disgusted by something".

Ceci n'est pas un seing.

Posts: 5085 | Location: R'lyehReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Gosh, I thought it meant a group of indigenous peoples in Western Canada! http://www.squamish.net/

It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society. -J. Krishnamurti

Posts: 4432 | Location: In a cornfield in central IndianaReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That's the Sḵwx̱wú7mesh.

Picture of Proofreader
posted Hide Post
Actually the Squeamish Indians were known for covering their bodies with dung to intimidate their enemies, hence the present definition of the term.

Give a man a fish and he can eat for one day; give a man a fishing pole and he will find an excuse to never work again.
Nollidj is power.

Posts: 5994 | Location: Rhode IslandReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
quote:
I was using the word in the sense of "easily disgusted by something".

Really, z, or were you kidding? If so, I wonder if people ever use the definition of "having strong moral values." I haven't heard of it, have you?

Posts: 23290 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post