Wordcraft Home Page    Wordcraft Community Home Page    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Foreign Words    a language that's missing a word
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

a language that's missing a word Login/Join

posted
English doesn't have a word for asking a question when the answer is ordinal.

For instance, the answer is "Barack Obama is the 44th president of the USA." What is the question? Other languages do have an easy way of asking this.

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Ah, but the translation is possible, just not easy, right? Isn't that what you and z have been trying to tell me for ages?

Posts: 23298 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of zmježd
posted Hide Post
I suppose you could ask something like: "Which ordinal number in the series of US presidents is Mr Obama?" That is better than trying to port a word like how manieth from the German example.

Ceci n'est pas un seing.

Posts: 5085 | Location: R'lyehReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I would say "what number president is Obama?"

Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by goofy:
I would say "what number president is Obama?"

That would probably get the answer "Number 44." Of course, that is perfectly OK as an answer and gives the desired information, even though an ordinal number isn't used.

Mind you, a question that started "Which ordinal number ..." would probably elicit the response "What's an ordinal number?"

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Posts: 10930 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of zmježd
posted Hide Post
a question that started "Which ordinal number ..." would probably elicit the response "What's an ordinal number?"

Which is OK, too. Makes the conversation into a leaning experience for both.

Ceci n'est pas un seing.

Posts: 5085 | Location: R'lyehReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
This Obama guy... is he the first President, second, third or what?

Smile

Posts: 7863 | Location: EnglandReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
Seriously though there are some questions with an ordinal answer where we can use "where".

Where did you come in the race?
Forty-fourth.

Can't think of an easy way in the "president example though.

Picture of Proofreader
posted Hide Post
quote:
For instance, the answer is "Barack Obama is the 44th president of the USA." What is the question? Other languages do have an easy way of asking this.

Q: What statement do Republicans have the most trouble repeating?

Give a man a fish and he can eat for one day; give a man a fishing pole and he will find an excuse to never work again.
Nollidj is power.

Posts: 5997 | Location: Rhode IslandReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
On the other hand, English does have a word for "A fly ball hit for fielding practice by a player who tosses the ball up and hits it on its way down with a long, thin, light bat": fungo.

My point in mentioning these facts is to show that the presence or absence of a certain word in a certain language doesn't tell you anything interesting about the speakers or the culture. No one here has made this argument, but many people I talk to do.

Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BobHale:
Seriously though there are some questions with an ordinal answer where we can use "where".

Where did you come in the race?
Forty-fourth.

Can't think of an easy way in the "president example though.

Actually, now I think about it couldn't you say "Where does Obama come in the sequence of presidents?"

"Where" seems to do the job well enough to me.

Picture of Richard English
posted Hide Post
I would imagine that there are many sporting terms which, like "fungo" are quite unintellible to speakers of other languages - and for which there is no equivalent.

Googly springs to mind, being "...a delivery which looks like a normal leg spinner but actually turns towards the batsmen, like an off break, rather than away from the bat...".

Of course, to understand this definition you need to know what a "leg spinner" and an "off break" are.

Richard English

Posts: 8037 | Location: Partridge Green, West Sussex, UKReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
quote:
"Where does Obama come in the sequence of presidents?"

Yes, I like that one, Bob. What's the American TV game show where you are given an answer and have to think of the question? You win this round, I think.

Of course, some people might still answer 'last'. Smile

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Picture of Proofreader
posted Hide Post
A: Jeopardy

Q: What is the American TV game show where you are given an answer and have to think of the question?

Give a man a fish and he can eat for one day; give a man a fishing pole and he will find an excuse to never work again.
Nollidj is power.

Posts: 5997 | Location: Rhode IslandReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
Thanks, Proof.