Wordcraft Home Page    Wordcraft Community Home Page    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  The OEDILF (closed)    Messages to Posters

Closed Topic Closed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Messages to Posters Login/Join

Picture of wordcrafter
posted
To those who have posted previously:

On Sunday the 11th, a major newspaper is publishing an article about us and about CJ's project. Delightful! We may have a sudden influx of new posters, and I've re-organized the site accordingly.

You now have easier access to the 400+ limericks written so far. They are collected and alphabetized on new web-pages added to this site, which you can find by a link at our home page, or by this link.

I've simplified the existing threads: 14 separate threads mixing various subjects, with a total verbiage equivalent of several hundred pages of a paperback book. It would be quite a bit for newcomers to wade through to get their bearings. I will instead post for them a brief introduction to us and to CJ's project, moving the existing threads into storage. Of course, the limericks themselves are available to all as noted above, and the entire previous threads will be available in full to CJ.

(Archiving the threads serves another purpose. As CJ notes, before opening his board he would like to get permission to use the name he chose, since a well-know company that might conceivably claim rights to that name. He expects no problem, of course. For the same reason, I would want to keep that name for his project off our board, pending that permission.)

I know all will join in making any new posters feel welcome and enthusiastic. Thank you in advance.

Picture of wordcrafter
posted Hide Post
To new posters: Welcome to Wordcraft

CJ Strolin, one of our long-time posters at Wordcraft, is undertaking a project to write an extensive dictionary in limerick form. CJ will soon be starting his own site for that project, but for now we are pleased to be a temporary home for it. Some of you may have heard of that project, and thus found us. This note serves to introduce you to us here at Wordcraft.

Our site devoted to words and wordplay generally, not just to limericks. To see the sorts of topics we discuss together, take a look at the Forums page of this bulletin board, linkng you the discussions we've had. The Wordcraft Home Page lists further features, including subscription to our word of the day by e-mail. You’ll find these same links handy atop every page of this bulletin board.

We hope you’ll enjoy our discussions and join in, or start new topics. You’ll find us a friendly bunch, with very little formality. First, this site is strictly non-commercial: no commercial posts allowed. Beyond that there are two guidelines:
  • Keep it focused on words and language.
    . . . .There are many other interesting things to discuss (politics, sports, recipes), but this is not the place. Not to say that we never digress, of course, but the focus is on words.
  • Keep it friendly and collegial. We are all equals here. "Politics" can be particularly divisive at this point in the election cycle, and if you tread there, use particular caution.
    . . . .(All right. Technically we’re not all equal, in that I’m administrator and have co-administrators. But I’ll be in the background, except for posting the word-of-the-day. My job as administrator is to keep things running smoothly, not to be a participant.)
CJ’s site may run differently, since it is oriented to his goal of producing a dictionary, and CJ as editor of his project will organize accordingly. But we’ve found our style here meets our purposes well, and we hope you’ll enjoy it as much as we have.

Picture of wordcrafter
posted Hide Post
To new posters: the dictionary project

Beyond the more general thoughts above, here are some specific guidelines for the dictionary project while Wordcraft is its temporary home.
  • All limericks should be original and define a word, or illustrate it by usage. It's fine to link to a definition, if the word is obscure. (If you want to do a different sort of limerick, it belongs in our Wordplay forum, not in this dictionary-project forum.
  • Please put all dictionary-limericks in a single thread, and put nothing else there. That way it will be easy to read and enjoy the submissions, and to compile them later, uncluttered by other matter.
    . . . .When limericks bring other points to mind, as they surely will, those points can go in other threads either in this forum (if they pertain to the dictionary project; e.g., "Nice job") or in our other forums, as appropriate. What a great way to start new topics!
  • We've found it entertaining to focus intensely on a small section of the dictionary, writing limericks for words there. For this purpose, I’m selecting "words beginning with ae- through ah-", which amount to about ½ of 1% of the dictionary. You needn’t define only those words, but you may find it fun to try.
  • Eventually, the limericks will have to be honed and polished by critique. But not here; that task can await CJ’s board.
Have fun!

Picture of Richard English
posted Hide Post
This is a very good layout.

One small thing - I spotted a small typo in my "abstain" Limerick - what's the best way of letting you know about such things?

Richard English

Posts: 8037 | Location: Partridge Green, West Sussex, UKReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Quote "...Please put all dictionary-limericks in a single thread, and put nothing else there. ..."

This makes sense to me - but what thread do we use? Do we start one of our own and, if so, where? And has the compilation of words still needing definition now gone? That was always my first port of call when I some creative time on my hands.

Richard English

posted Hide Post
Richard,

Just guessing here, but the "Let's continue with the limericks now" thread seems to be receiving new limericks still (from four or five of us, at least); and wordcrafter posted an updated limerick list at the top of that thread. Hic and I are fast working our way through ae...

Picture of Hic et ubique
posted Hide Post
When Tim says, "Hic and I are fast working our way through ae...," I feel like a race-runner who's gasping for breath while Tim's barely broken a sweat. Big Grin

posted Hide Post
The OEDILF is a clever device
And its Limerick wordplay precise
But the OED's magisterial
And has so much material -
Would not the "Concise" here suffice?

Richard English

Picture of Chris J. Strolin
posted Hide Post
(Please pardon the Americanism.)

As I'll state in the OEDILF's prologue,
This project will set minds agog.
As our grandkids will state
On some far future date,
"They did it, and they did it whole hog!!"

posted Hide Post
The new OEDILF links don't work for me, using Safari on Mac OS X. They look like this:

http://www.wordcraft.infopop.cc/Limericks\LimericksDictp1.htm

The backslash is causing the problem; if I change it to a /, the links work fine.

Thanks...

Picture of wordcrafter
posted Hide Post
CJ, how are you doing at getting your site up? When do you expect it to be up?

posted Hide Post
I would say it's maybe 90% complete and everything so far looks absolutely great!

The "90/90 Theorum of Time Allotment" may apply here ("The first 90% of any task takes the first 90% of the time allotted to it, while the last 10% of the task takes the second 90% of the time.") but if this turns out to be the case, we will be up and running with that first 90% along with a note requesting newcomers not to be impatient while we work out the last wrinkles.

The most recent word I received from the people doing all the work was that this week looks good BUT I don't want to set a firm date since, well, frankly, it's not my call.

My thanks to all for your patience. In part to make it worth your wait, there will be a rather exciting announcement posted on the new site on Opening Day.

Picture of wordcrafter
posted Hide Post
Chris J. Strolin: this week looks good

but if [delay] turns out to be the case, we will be up and running with that first 90% along with a note requesting newcomers not to be impatient while we work out the last wrinkles.

there will be a rather exciting announcement posted on the new site on Opening Day.

Fantastic! I'll expect to see it by Friday, then, and will restructure this forum accordingly, tailored to our own needs.

Glad to put an announcement and link on this board too. Please run the text by me in advance, as I don't want to create an impression that this is a spot where anyone at all can feel free to publicize.

posted Hide Post
Well, I too hope to see it up and operational, at least 90% so, by Friday but "expect" might be too strong of a word. I've got all the faith in the world in the talents of the OEDILF Computer Division (enough certainly to officially establish that name for them) but everyone is working in a voluntary capacity. For obvious reasons the whipping of volunteers, even for what might seem to be the best of reasons, will always be counterproductive.

Another note - While I can't set Friday as a deadline it is a good day to shoot for although another part of this process which is somewhat out of my hands involves some fairly interesting (if I do say so myself) coordination I am doing with a rather important personage who works in Washington D.C. Emails have been going back and forth rather briskly but I don't want to jump the gun and make any premature announcements just for the sake of an abritrary date circled on a calendar.

Having said that, however, Friday looks pretty good. If the site isn't 90% ready by that time and if I don't have the definite yes/no decision from D.C. by then, I'll post full details Monday. The text of my statement introducing the site shouldn't be much more than "Well, here it is" since I agree with you that this site shouldn't be used for meeting the advertising needs of its posters.

Woo-Hoo! It's getting pretty exciting around here!

Picture of wordcrafter
posted Hide Post
Nonetheless, CJ, after Friday -- which is well beyond your previous projections -- we here will work as if it is up. It's great to hear teasers about "a rather exciting announcement," or "a rather important personage," or "I should have major news," or "I'm absolutely salivating at the prospect." Still, we need to our own subjects here. Thanks for understanding.

posted Hide Post
OK, something rather bizarre just occurred.

I opened up my email to find the top incoming message titled "Greetings from a rather important personage in Washington D.C."

Boi-i-ing!!

First things first, this person advised me that I can not make that aforementioned announcement prematurely and explained why not. I should have known this and deeply regret mentioning anything here about it. My reason for doing so was to let everyone here (primarily Wordcrafter, I suppose) know that we weren't just sitting on our hands on the new site but that real progress was being made.

Second things second, trust me, this is fairly big. This board is now being read by the very important personage who works in Washington D.C. (Permit me to abbreviate that to "VIPWWWDC"), a person whose name is probably familiar to many posters here or, barring that, a person whose job title you would definitely recognize. I have often said that one of the functions of The OEDILF Project would be to provide a conduit to the Wordcraft board for valuable new posters or others who might be of value in some other way. This is exactly what is happening. Plus, I have no reason to believe that this will be the last VIPWWWDC (and elsewhere) who will be introduced to this board in this way.

Lastly, your tone puzzles me just a bit. While the Wordcraft site has been the birthplace of the OEDILF, it is neither our parent nor our boss. I have gone out of my way to establish and maintain a mutually beneficial working relationship between the sites so I don't understand your apparent displeasure at this point. We are at the brink of being able to do an amazing amount of good for the Wordcraft site and while that may seem like a teaser, I swear that it's true. (By the way, I would consider a "teaser" something that does not follow through with what it promises possibly because it had no intention to. This is specifically not the case here.)

One of the threads of the new BB involves how well the two sites fit together, how our differing goals and formats can complement each other. Have just a bit of patience - it's all going to work out and it's going to be great!

If, on the other hand, you've chosen Friday as some sort of arbitrary date, that's fine by me. You are the head of this site and I have never done or said anything to dispute that. As thankful as I am (and as I've frequently expressed both publically and privately) for the assistance the Wordcraft board has given me with this admittedly mad project, I am fully aware that your first priority will always be the Wordcraft board and its posters. I support that, I understand that, and I'm certainly not arguing that. Even if you decide that it's in this board's best interests to dump us completely, I support you 100% in that decision. You're the boss and what you say goes.

Still, I, for one, will continue to hold on to the vision of these two boards working together and doing one hell of a lot of good for each other.

Hang in there!
CJS

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
I have gone out of my way to establish and maintain a mutually beneficial working relationship between the sites so I don't understand your apparent displeasure at this point.

CJ, we, too, have gone out of our way to provide you with a place for, not only your limericks, but your talk about how to construct a board, criticism about limericks (which has not always been received well), and making future plans. I think we have been a good host to you, and I, for one, don't understand why you don't see that.

And, yes, we are looking forward to continuing collaboration. Big Grin

Picture of Hic et ubique
posted Hide Post
CJ, peeved, says the Wordcraft site is neither our parent nor our boss. I have gone out of my way to establish and maintain a mutually beneficial working relationship between the sites so I don't understand your apparent displeasure at this point. Still, I, for one, will continue to hold on to the vision of these two boards working together.

You imply is that Wordcrafter is being uncooperative.

CJ, this board has allowed you, as a guest, to use it for your own project, to find a crew to develop your site, to talk about your design and solicit input, to collect over four hundred limericks, and to repeatedly post your publicity.

It is uncharitable for a guest to criticize his host, and doubly unchartible to broadcast your critiques publically instead of speaking with him privately. It is hardly "working together". Your comment is wildly inappropriate.

And I am stunned that no one else has said what I am saying now.

posted Hide Post
Quote "...And I am stunned that no one else has said what I am saying now..."

Could I suggest, without taking sides, that it is because this board has always been the apotheosis of mannerly discussion and good-natured disagreement.

I should be very sorry were this to change and I, for one, will never seek to criticise another's stance or feelings although I will challenge his or her statement of facts should I feel they are wrong.

And I shall not change my own stance on this, There are plenty of other boards where personal attack is considered the norm and I have left each and evey one of them as soon as this becomes clear to me.

I should prefer to stay here and very much hope that personal attacks do not become common or I shall leave.

I am attacking nobody but I am, I hope, making my position quite clear. I will not get involved in personal conflict.

Richard English

posted Hide Post
First things first.

I received a rather alarming email informing me that the flamewar apparently was officially on.

Let me make this unmistakeably clear here as I will, time permitting, to the person sending the email: THERE IS NO FLAME WAR.

None! Nada! Zip!!

There are a dozen reasons for this but let me just cover one. (I'm pressed for time - babysitting duties call.) To have any sort of fight you need at least two combatants and we are at least one short here. I would like to think that Wordcrafter is not feeling any sort of antagonism towards me but I know for a fact that whatever happens, I am not going to strap on the gloves.
If you read back over my past posts, I think you will see that I have been supportive of the Wordcraft site in general and Wordcrafter's authority in particular. There simply is no fight going on here. Not now, not later. It just ain't gonna happen, folks!

quote:
Originally posted by Kalleh:
CJ, we, too, have gone out of our way to provide you with a _place_ for, not only your limericks, Yes, and how many times have I thanked you? I truly appreciate all that the Wordcraft board has done for The OEDILF Project but, more than that, I've been extremely grateful for the company. You people are, in very real terms, my extended family.

but your talk about how to construct a board, criticism about limericks (which has not always been received well), Well, only one person took extreme offense and I thought he went overboard but that's neither here nor there. You asked me to stop critiquing and I did.

and making future plans. I think we have been a good host to you, and I, for one, don't understand why _you_ don't see that. This is what puzzles me. I do see it. You have been a good host and I, in turn, would like to think I've been a good guest. I've been one of the most frequent posters and, quantity not being everything, I'd like to think that the quality of my writing has been appreciated to a certain degree. I don't think anyone, even including the core group who formed Wordcraft in the first place, has introduced this site to more people. I OK'ed that Chicago Sun-Times article even though I felt it was premature (and, strictly from an OEDILF viewpoint, it was and has since created more problems than I'd care to go into here) BUT I went along with it so that the Wordcraft website could get some publicity. This was just another way of thanking you all for all you've done and, more important, all you've meantto me.

And, yes, we are looking forward to continuing collaboration. Big Grin It could only be of benefit to us both. There is no competition between the sites. Just the opposite, in fact. We complement (with an "e") each other beautifully or at least we could if given half a chance.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hic et ubique:
And I am stunned that no one else has said what I am saying now.

Hic, ol' buddy, ol' former pal o' mine, you've been in a snit ever since I had the audacity to suggest that some of your writing was less than perfect and for this I am truly sorry. Some of your writing has been absolutely among the best this board has ever seen. You have talent, you write well, and I've enjoyed our exchanges over the past couple of years.

As for your above post, however, your charges are so unfounded that I can't even be bothered to answer them. To do so might possibly give the impression that we were fighting and, as I said above, I will take part in no fight on this board, no how, no way.

If you truly want to discuss this, PM me.

Thank you, R.E., for your thoughts. I'm sure the majority of the board feels the same as you do.

Picture of wordcrafter
posted Hide Post
CJ, you have just suggested to the world that I was being uncooperative with you.

That puts me in an awkward possition. To respond, and to detail what I have tried to tell you privately, would be to flame. To delete your comments would be censorship, and would appear self-righteous. But to allow them would be to allow you to impugn not just me, but the board.

My job is to protect the board. I cannot allow you to impugn it. And that must take precedence over anything else.

It was on July 5 that TrossL said,
    We simply can't stop posting limericks
    Once started, we're addicts, NEED our FIX!
    We can't go cold turkey,
    We'll get twitchy and jerky,
    Get that site up! (to avoid future conflicts)

It's past time, CJ. Do it, please.

Picture of wordcrafter
posted Hide Post
This thread is now closed.