Wordcraft Home Page    Wordcraft Community Home Page    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Potpourri    Birth Anniversary
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Birth Anniversary Login/Join

Picture of Kalleh
posted
My cousin emailed me about his birth anniversary, which I found odd. I asked him why he didn't just say, "birthday." He said that the day of his birth is his birthday, but after that it's the birth anniversary.

That sounds pretty prescriptive to me. Has anyone else used that?

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
I've never come across it before. It's not as if there's much chance of confusion. If he wanted to specify the actual day he was born he could use 'birth day' or 'day of (his) birth'

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Posts: 10940 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
I know - and, in fact, I was a bit confused by his term "birth anniversary."

posted Hide Post
Kalleh, I'm sure you've seen or heard me using it. I have for years and years. Kudos to your cousin for getting it right!

Posts: 6168 | Location: Muncie, IndianaReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bethree5
posted Hide Post
I've never heard it either. A form requests your 'date of birth'; an individual might ask 'what day were you born?' If you live somewhere'birth anniversary' is common, I imagine they also say 'wedding anniversary' to avoid confusion.

Posts: 2605 | Location: As they say at 101.5FM: Not New York... Not Philadelphia... PROUD TO BE NEW JERSEY!Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
quote:
Kalleh, I'm sure you've seen or heard me using it.
Ah, yes, I do remember. Wink