Wordcraft Home Page    Wordcraft Community Home Page    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Potpourri    Penmanship
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Penmanship Login/Join

Picture of Kalleh
posted
A man's penmanship is an unfailing index of his character, moral and mental, and a criterion by which to judge his peculiarities of taste and sentiment - Lord Chesterfield, 1748, in "Letters to His Son by the Earl of Chsterfield on the Fine Art of Becoming a Man of the World"

Well, maybe penmanship isn't that important, but I am disturbed to hear that some public schools in our area are considering taking cursive writing out of the curriculum. They feel the curriculum is too full already, and with computers they do not see handwriting as a necessary skill. Thoughts? Is this happening in your school districts?

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
About nine years ago while my son was in middle school, he printed everything even though he was told to write it. His handwriting was atrocious! When I asked if he could get some help to improve his handwriting, I was point blank told, "He won't need to write, he'll be using a computer the rest of his life." I was absolutely appalled! But that is how the schools felt. They told me to allow him to do his work on the computer at home, so that they could read it! Mad

Posts: 1412 | Location: Buffalo, NY, United StatesReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Yes, Morgan, that seems to be the mindset. As some cursive proponents pointed out, though, it may mean that those students couldn't even read cursive. The article I read had a wonderful quote from Shepheard's, "The Art of the Handwritten Note":
A handwritten note is like dining by candlelight instead of flicking on the lights, like making a gift instead of ordering a product, like taking a walk instead of driving.

Picture of C J Strolin
posted Hide Post
I have a letter written in the 1880's hanging on my living room wall. It's a totally mundane comunication having to do with reserving a hotel room but the penmanship is so beautiful that I consider it artwork.

And everybody, it seems, wrote that way back then! We are much the poorer for its loss.

Posts: 1517 | Location: Illinois, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
And I thought I had you figured out, CJ! I might have expected that from Richard, Bob or arnie--but not from you!
I think you can actually tell a bit about people from their handwriting. For example, you certainly know a child's handwriting from an adult's. And--often a man's from a woman's, though I have been fooled there.

[This message was edited by Kalleh on Wed Jan 8th, 2003 at 14:35.]

Picture of C J Strolin
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kalleh:
And I thought I had you figured out, CJ!

???!!!

You pictured me, maybe, sitting in a tire in my living room?

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Noooooo--sorry, I didn't mean anything bad. Not sure why, but I would have guessed that penmanship wasn't something you'd embrace. My mistake! That's the problem with knowing people by posting or e-mailing--you never really get to know them. I would so like to meet everyone who posts! Wink

posted Hide Post
quote:
I would so like to meet everyone who posts!
Me too! Your house, Saturday? Big Grin

Posts: 1412 | Location: Buffalo, NY, United StatesReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Richard English
posted Hide Post
It is a happier picture than that of you sitting without attire!

Oh, sorry, you meant a TYRE, did you?

Richard English

Posts: 8038 | Location: Partridge Green, West Sussex, UKReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of C J Strolin
posted Hide Post
I've got this germ of a screenplay that's been bouncing around in my head for some time. In it, I am Satan and BobHale is God (There, I thought you'd like that casting, B.H.!) and we are locked in a tremendous struggle for the possession of the soul of Richard English.

Hey, B.H.! R.E. just made a pun!! (and, I might add, a damn fine one) The inescapable conclusion, of course, is that I'm winning!!!

BWAAH-HA-HA-HA-HA-HAAAAAAA!!!!

Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by C J Strolin:
I've got this germ of a screenplay that's been bouncing around in my head for some time. In it, I am Satan and BobHale is God (There, I _thought_ you'd like that casting, B.H.!) and we are locked in a tremendous struggle for the possession of the soul of Richard English.

Actually as an atheist I'm not all that sure about the casting. Would it mean that I would be obliged not to believe in my own existence?

Still, I'll give it a try but I have to warn you that if I'm a God I'm likely to be Mammon. You can have his soul for - oh, I don't know - shall we say fifty dollars ?

Purgamentum init, exit purgamentum

Read all about my travels around the world here.

Posts: 9421 | Location: EnglandReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Am I in it? Frown
Really, don't the rest of you conjure up in your minds what the people here are like in real life? I sure do! My problem is Tinman--I can only see Tinman from the Wizard of Oz.

Actually, when you think about it--many of us come from the Wizard of Oz. CJ is the Wizard. I want to be Dorothy--but that might be selfish--so I'll make Morgan Dorothy & museamuse the Good Queen. Can I be Todo, at least? Richard is the Lion & Bob is the Scarecrow. CJ, you're the screenplay writer--I need help in finding roles for everyone!

posted Hide Post
quote:
Actually, when you think about it--many of us come from the Wizard of Oz. CJ is the Wizard. I want to be Dorothy--but that might be selfish--so I'll make Morgan Dorothy & museamuse the Good Queen. Can I be Todo, at least? Richard is the Lion & Bob is the Scarecrow. CJ, you're the screenplay writer--I need help in finding roles for everyone!

OH! Dear! Me, Dorothy????? "Somewhere over the rainbow" just doesn't suit me, Kalleh. You can have that job. I hear myself saying things like, "I'll get you my pretty!" and "I'm melting!" And I believe it was Toto not Todo! But thanks for the kind thoughts! Big Grin

Picture of C J Strolin
posted Hide Post
My, what an interesting turn this thread has taken especially considering ther fact that we started out on the subject of penmanship.

Allow me to both continue this and start anew under the title "Cast(s) Away!" in the Wordplay section.