Wordcraft Home Page    Wordcraft Community Home Page    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Potpourri    The perils of injudiciously applied spellcheckers
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The perils of injudiciously applied spellcheckers Login/Join

Picture of BobHale
posted
From a piece of work handed in by one of my students...

Mr Revell got £4000 for the injury and loss of earrings.

"No man but a blockhead ever wrote except for money." Samuel Johnson.

Posts: 9421 | Location: EnglandReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Bob, am I a dolt if I were to ask what it was supposed to be?

Probably.

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
loss of earnings

"No man but a blockhead ever wrote except for money." Samuel Johnson.

Posts: 9421 | Location: EnglandReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bethree5
posted Hide Post
Big Grin ROFL Glad you asked, Kalleh. I was sitting here thinking perhaps the fellow had the sort of accent that caused him to spell "hearing" as "'earing"!

Posts: 2605 | Location: As they say at 101.5FM: Not New York... Not Philadelphia... PROUD TO BE NEW JERSEY!Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
I was imagining some sort of ear injury where the earrings (diamonds or gold) were also damaged.

It has been a long couple of weeks for me. I've been on the road constantly, sometimes waking up and thinking, "Now where am I? Las Vegas? No. Oh yes. Kansas City." That's my excuse!

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
I am reviving this thread of Bob's because I am too embarrassed to start a new thread with this. I really am a dolt. Roll Eyes

In today's Tribune I read this:
quote:
Having to pay as little as $10 toward a mammogram leads many older women to skip the exam, a large Brown University study of Medicare users has found.
So, I am thinking, they think that the test isn't worth much unless they have to pay more?

This time I haven't even been traveling!

Picture of Richard English
posted Hide Post
It's not a good sentence, but if the phrase, "as little as $10" were to be parenthesised, then it would make more sense, thus:

Having to pay (as little as $10) toward a mammogram leads many older women to skip the exam, a large Brown University study of Medicare users has found.

Mind you, I am now left wondering how a "large Brown University" differs in its achievements from, say, a small white one.

Richard English

Posts: 8038 | Location: Partridge Green, West Sussex, UKReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
I agree that it would be better parenthesised, although commas might do as good a job. I think I'd use 'even' as well to clarify the meaning even further, thus:

Having to pay, even as little as $10, toward a mammogram ...

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Posts: 10940 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It's pertinent to note that on first (even second) reading I didn't get it either. Reason: In the typical PC font "ri" looks a lot like "ni"

I have oftn wondered how often owing to this peculiarity the proofreader misses the mark

posted Hide Post
I think the sentence is clear as it is. Parentheses or additional commas are not needed; they would just clutter up the sentence.

Here is the original Jan. 23 article, and a second from Jan. 24. And, in case you're interested, here's the abstract of the study from the New England Journal of Medicine.

Posts: 2878 | Location: Shoreline, WA, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
I never said that it wasn't a clear sentence; it was. I just thought it was funny that I had misread it. Roll Eyes

BTW, the difference from Tinman's quote, and mine, is that I had quoted directly from the paper version of the Chicago Tribune, which is slightly different from the online version apparently.

posted Hide Post
When I first read your post I thought you didn't understand the sentence, Kalleh, and I was going to respond. But on rereading it (always a good idea before responding) I realized you did understand it, that you were just reporting your initial reaction. But seeing that others wanted to "clarify" the sentences by adding parentheses or commas prompted me to respond. The quote from the Jan. 23 article is slightly different from the one you posted, but the one from the Jan. 24 article is the same.

Posts: 2878 | Location: Shoreline, WA, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
quote:
but the one from the Jan. 24 article is the same.
Ah...yes, you're correct.