Wordcraft Home Page    Wordcraft Community Home Page    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Potpourri    ampelography
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

ampelography Login/Join

Picture of zmježd
posted
Ran across a new word this morning while reading up on the other white wine varietal (Arbois) which is allowed to be planted in the Vouvray appellation: ampelography (< Greek αμπελος 'vine' + γραφος 'writing'). "[T]he field of botany concerned with the identification and classification of grapevines" (link).

Ceci n'est pas un seing.

Posts: 5148 | Location: R'lyehReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
I suppose I should have, but I never realized that they did genetic fingerprinting of vines!

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of zmježd
posted Hide Post
I never realized that they did genetic fingerprinting of vines!

It's big money. I was amazed when I attended a meeting of an arachnological society and discovered that black widows were the best known species of spiders because insurance companies had sponsored research because of claims from the middle of the last century involving men in outhouses being bitten by said species.

Ceci n'est pas un seing.

Posts: 5148 | Location: R'lyehReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Wouldn't you think they'd figure it out with people first, though I suppose this is a little different.

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post