Wordcraft Home Page    Wordcraft Community Home Page    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Potpourri    A fun little quiz
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

A fun little quiz Login/Join

Picture of BobHale
posted
https://www.macmillandictionar...-quizzes/blends.html

"No man but a blockhead ever wrote except for money." Samuel Johnson.

Posts: 9421 | Location: EnglandReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Yikes, I chose British-American English and got many wrong. You'd think by now I'd know.

You call the car windshield a windscreen?

Coriander is the same as our cilantro? I don't get it - we have coriander and cilantro. I have both in my kitchen. I chose allspice.

I thought a barrister was a lawyer, but apparently you specify between a someone who represents someone in court (barrister) and someone who deals with wills and other legal issues (solicitor). Do they have different education? They are all lawyers in the U.S., though they can specialize.

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
Well I intended to direct people to the portmanteau quiz but I suppose the others could be fun too.

Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kalleh:
Yikes, I chose British-American English and got many wrong. You'd think by now I'd know.

You call the car windshield a windscreen?

No. YOU call the windscreen a windshield. Big Grin

Picture of bethree5
posted Hide Post
That was fun, Bob. They were new to me, but I guessed everything except the one that means picking up litter while jogging (& forgot it already). Odd thing to make a word for.

Posts: 2605 | Location: As they say at 101.5FM: Not New York... Not Philadelphia... PROUD TO BE NEW JERSEY!Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bethree5:
That was fun, Bob. They were new to me, but I guessed everything except the one that means picking up litter while jogging (& forgot it already). Odd thing to make a word for.

Exactly the same here.

posted Hide Post
So, I had to laugh. After looking at this thread and not doing as well as I thought I would do on the test, I listened to another Agatha Raisin series book. She was in her car, and it started raining, So, she turned on her _________________? LOL Synchronicity!

posted Hide Post
British: gritting a road when it snows
American: salting a road when it snows

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
My absolute favorite though is: Mind the gap!

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post