Wordcraft Home Page    Wordcraft Community Home Page    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Potpourri    Limericks Revisited
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Limericks Revisited Login/Join

posted Hide Post
A man named Shufitz is tops.
To Kalleh he’s king of the pops.
More than twenty-six years,
Full of laughter and tears,
Have passed since they first tied the knot.

The King of Strolinia’s request:
Why don’t you just give it a rest?
Since you cannot agree,
And you cannot decree,
Why fight over which beer is best?

If you have enough time to spare
For spewing and spouting hot air,
Then belabor the point
In your favorite beer joint.
As for me, I really don’t care.

Tinman

Posts: 2878 | Location: Shoreline, WA, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
In answer to wordnerd's question about which muse I am...

Here a muse, there a muse, everywhere a museamuse

There once was a muse they called Thalia
who tinkered with limericks inter alia
Erato and Euterpe
well they made the men slurpy
for they tinkered with male genitalia

Red Face

[This message was edited by museamuse on Sun Feb 16th, 2003 at 8:55.]

Posts: 266 | Location: GreeceReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Keep the Home Fires Burning

I fear for the soul of Wordcrafter.
Is Heaven his, in the hereafter?
What if linguistic sin
Means you cannot get in?
Well that, of course, would be disafter!

Perfect meter you say in this one? Allow me to differ, O King. In line three you would have to stress the word 'if' to make the meter work, which is unnatural. The meter in line five has a similar problem. An improvement would be: "Well that would mean instant disafter"

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Muse, you are such a hard act to follow! Razz I definitely crown you Queen of Limericks! Tinman, love yours, as well! And, "dale" is a current enough word--sheeesh! I could just see Richard "paling" as I read that one! Big Grin

Muse, Richard, Wordnerd, & Arnie,
Hic, TrossL, FatStan, & Jerry,
Graham, CJ, Morgan,
Bob, Asa, Duncan,
Shoo, Tinman--let's meet in Killarney!

(Please forgive if I've missed your name. Frown It most assuredly wasn't intentional.)

[This message was edited by Kalleh on Sun Feb 16th, 2003 at 12:12.]

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jerry thomas
posted Hide Post
To the shop clerk, voluptuous, seductive,
The Inspector was terse and abruptive
He positioned the wench
On the gift-wrapping bench
And rated her counter productive.

~~~ jerry

Posts: 6708 | Location: Kehena Beach, Hawaii, U.S.A.Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kalleh:
And, "dale" is a current enough word--sheeesh! I could just see Richard "paling" as I read that one! Big Grin

Thank you, Kalleh! I was surprised that C J thought "dale" was too old fashioned. Perhaps he doesn't remember the Army song, "Over hill, over dale..." I have a hunch the word is more common in England. I don't know, of course. Any comments? The amusing part about his remark that he didn't "know how current the word 'dale' is...", is that he liked my limerick containing "cingulomania", which is definitely not a "current" word.

When I wrote the last line, I pictured Richard with his pint of ale raised half-way to his mouth when he hears the dreaded words, "Bud and Bud Lite". He may want to throttle them, as C J has suggested, but his proper British upbringing won't let him. Instead he just chokes on his words while the color drains from his face. This you could see, but C J apparently couldn't. His ending would have Richard reacting violently, which I can't see. I doubt that C J really thinks Richard would pummel someone for drinking Bud, and he just threw it in for effect. He understands the hyperbole of his ending, but not the understatement of mine. Perhaps he lacks imagination.

Tinman

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Tinman, you are exactly right about CJ's lack of imagination. As I have said previously, I have a vivid imagination. As a matter of fact, with your limerick about dale, in the line "with his club in the pub in the dale"--I remembered an old post by Richard where he mentioned bathing, and if the rhyming had worked, I laughed as I changed it to: "With his club in the pub in the tub"

Picture of C J Strolin
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tinman:
A man named Shufitz is tops.
To Kalleh he’s king of the pops.
More than twenty-six years,
Full of laughter and tears,
Have passed since they first tied the knot

A "D" and you're lucky to get it!!

"tops/pops/KNOT"??!! There I was, reading along as merrily as you please and then "Have passed since they first tied the knot." KLUNK!! What a poke in the eye! This limerick was like a home run into the upper deck that goes foul at the last moment (see related thread) to the disappointment of all. Tinman, I can't help but believe that you perpetuated this outrage just to make me eat my liver.

Only my agreement with your two-stanza limerick on beer and my general good nature kept this one from being an "F". "tops/pops/knot" indeed!

Posts: 1517 | Location: Illinois, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of C J Strolin
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by museamuse:
_Here a muse, there a muse, everywhere a museamuse_

There once was a muse they called Thalia
who tinkered with limericks inter alia
Erato and Euterpe
well they made the men slurpy
for they tinkered with male genitalia

WHOA! A shocking entry that rates an "A-" even though I had to look up "inter alia" (among other things) Erato (muse of lyric poetry and mime), and Euterpe (muse of lyric poetry and music) (there seems to be some overlapping there) (and, Muse, speaking of overlapping...)

Whew! Hot stuff. Great title, too.

There is a convenience store in the states that sells a flavored slush concoction known as a "slurpy." I'll never have another one without thinking of you, Muse, though, come to think of it, considering your usage of the word, I doubt I'll ever have another one at all!

The "-" was for the lack of capital letters in each lines' first word. Testing me, are you?

Picture of C J Strolin
posted Hide Post
quote:
Perfect meter you say in this one? Allow me to differ, O King. In line three you would have to stress the word 'if' to make the meter work, which is unnatural. The meter in line five has a similar problem. An improvement would be: "Well that would mean instant disafter"

As B.H. pointed out, limericks are often better recited than read. I often have to reread a limerick a couple of times to determine just where the author intends the stress to fall. The best ones convey this on the first reading and as this was apparently not the case here with you, well, that's probably your fault.

(HA! Expecting an apology, were you?!)

Among other things, Iasaac Asimov was an expert in this field. The limerick he described as perfect (though not one of his own) which I'd say illustrates perfect stress went:

A honeymoon couple named Kelly
Were stuck tighly belly to belly.
It seems, in their haste,
They used library paste,
Instead of petroleum jelly.

In the case of "Keep the Home Fires Burning" (which still causes me to beam with pride) the stress is as follows.

i FEAR for the SOUL of wordCRAFTer.
is HEAVen his, IN the hereAFTer?
what if LINguistic SIN
means you CANnot get IN?
well THAT, of course, WOULD mean disAFTer!

TKHS

Picture of C J Strolin
posted Hide Post
quote:
Graham, CJ, Morgan,
Bob, Asa, Duncan,

"Tops, Pops, Knot" - Part 2, the Sequel!

Kalleh tried an impossible task.
Was it really just too much to ask
Each name for her to use
From Bob to museamuse?
I'm in! Now which way is Killarney?

An "A" for tackling the near impossible, K.

But "dale"?? Really? Does anyone use this word in place of "valley" aside from the random poet searching for a good -ale rhyme? In the states, it's often the second half of a place name (Springdale, Glendale, etc) but the word itself is never heard outside of nursery rhymes (mostly written generations ago) and, yes, "Over hill, over dale..." (ditto). It's not listed in the dictionary as such but I suspect this one's a Britishism.

posted Hide Post
Whoa CJ! You just set yourself up for this one!
Stressing the first syllable of 'linguistic"? tsk tsk. We all know 'linguistic' is normally stressed on the second syllable. Think that's why I couldn't get it? Do I get my apology now?

Picture of C J Strolin
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jerry thomas:
To the shop clerk, voluptuous, seductive,
The Inspector was terse and abruptive
He positioned the wench
On the gift-wrapping bench
And rated her counter productive.

Excellent! The made-up "abruptive" for "abrupt," the pun on "counter," great meter, and a steamy word picture on top of it all. An "A"!

Put this one in the "Cast(s) Away" thread and I claim the male lead with museamuse as my co-star!

TKHS

Picture of C J Strolin
posted Hide Post
quote:
Whoa CJ! You just set yourself up for this one!
Stressing the first syllable of 'linguistic"? tsk tsk. We all know 'linguistic' is normally stressed on the second syllable. Think that's why I couldn't get it? Do I get my apology now?

Well....

Yes and no. The acknowleged meter of the limerick often will skew the pronunciation of words, particularly in the way syllables are stressed. That's not just your King speaking, that really is how it is.

In writing this one, I overlooked the fact that the correct pronunciation of "linguistic" might trip up the reader. My intention was that the limerick form would force your ear to hear "LINguistic" instead of "linGUIstic" but, obviously, this was a faulty synapse on my part.

Upon reflection, I am forced to downgrade my effort to an "A" with a mournful sigh and a quivvering lower lip. Thanks m.

I apologize. Sort of.

TKHS

posted Hide Post
Her limericks with limerance she writes
But on the counter she turns and she bites
Though she may be seductive
She's also eruptive
For SHE opts when to pull down her tights!

Picture of C J Strolin
posted Hide Post
quote:
...he liked my limerick containing "cingulomania", which is definitely not a "current" word.
Totally disagree. "Cingulomania" was just used in the Wordcrafter Vocabulary forum. How much more current can you get?

Richard... ...may want to throttle them, as C J has suggested, but his proper British upbringing won't let him. Instead he just chokes on his words while the color drains from his face.
Yes, yes, I get it. But it made for a "Blah" ending.

Perhaps he (your King) lacks imagination.
I'm imagining my kingdom obtaining a rack. Such impertinence will not go unpunished forever!

Picture of C J Strolin
posted Hide Post
quote:
Her limericks with limerance she writes
But on the counter she turns and she bites
Though she may be seductive
She's also eruptive
For SHE opts when to pull down her tights!

Another first class effort including one more recent vocabulary word, always a plus. An "A" and another apology if your King appeared to be too forward. I do not picture you as being easily sprawlable over just any counter.

Thank You, Princess! May I Have Another?

As Princess, you do not outrank me.
For my comment, you really should thank me.
Still, I do not mind it.
There's no malice behind it.
I don't mind if you (verbally) spank me!

(Heh, heh, heh.)

Picture of jerry thomas
posted Hide Post
Sarah's boyfriend hastily scurries.
His pickup's the least of his worries.
In an anteric rage
She wrote a new page
In the book of scorned women and furies

Posts: 6708 | Location: Kehena Beach, Hawaii, U.S.A.Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jerry thomas
posted Hide Post
The Inspector, aroused by the clerk
Was delighted to inspect her work
She twisted her torso
Making him even moreso
And off came the tights with one jerk.

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
quote:
Totally disagree. "Cingulomania" was just used in the Wordcrafter Vocabulary forum. How much more current can you get?
Well, I see we finally have CJ's confession that "agley" is equally current since it too has been used in the Wordcrafter Vocabulary forum. Quick, Wordcrafter, put "dale" in there too! Razz

What in the world is this prejudice against poor, neglected Tinman? I love his limericks, especially when he writes them about me! ( WinkThanks, Tinman!) Really--he does not deserve a D, just because of "knot" versus "pops" "tops". Muse, as Queen of limericks, can you please regrade Tinman's limerick, keeping in mind that he did write it about me and Shoo. Big Grin

[This message was edited by Kalleh on Tue Feb 18th, 2003 at 14:57.]

Picture of C J Strolin
posted Hide Post
Kalleh, Kalleh, Kalleh...

There is no prejudice against Tinman at all. Let's put it this way:

You're on a flight to the Bahamas for a romantic holiday with Shufitz.
When you check in, there's no line and you get great seats.
The meals are first rate and the attendants meet your every request promptly.
There's no turbulence and the flight arrives 30 minutes ahead of schedule.
Five minutes before landing, the plane crashes into the ocean.

Question: How would you rate the flight??

I would give it, at best, a "D" for reasons identical to those on which I based the grade for Tinman's latest limerick.

I would love it if it turned out that he purposely wrote that last line that way as a deliberate poke in the eye as I still somewhat suspect. But if you insist he is due an upgrade, all I can answer is "KNOT"!!

On a semi-related sidenote, Bob Hale's pseudo-limerick in the Valentine's Day thread elsewhere is a winner. A solid "A", B.H. Excellent!

And may I also state for the record that I totally agree with Hic et ubique's limerick here about grading being subjective and not being a cause for invective (or however he stated it). Furthermore, by Royal Decree, effective immediately any and all subjects of this thread may offer grades to any and all limericks posted herein as they see fit.

Only the grades I give, however, will count on your official transcripts.

TKHS

Picture of C J Strolin
posted Hide Post
While This Board Does Wonders for My Vocabulary,
I Could be Better Spending My Time Elsewhere.

While British beers R.E. keeps flogging,
Too much of this thread I am hogging,
At the expense of proclivities
And other activities
Such as limerance and full-frontal snogging.

See you all Friday,

TK

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Well, I am no expert in rhythm and meter and the like (that's why my limericks stink), but, CJ, that one is a winner in my book. Love the use of all our words! WinkSolid A.

And, since you've given us the right to grade, I give Tinman's limerick about me and Shuftiz a solid A as well.

posted Hide Post

No, it’s not a perfect rhyme, but it is a rhyme. It’s the best I could do. If you don’t like it, tough

How petty can you get! By the way, your apostrophe is in the wrong place.

But "dale"?? Really? Does anyone use this word in place of "valley" aside from the random poet searching for a good -ale rhyme?…It's not listed in the dictionary as such but I suspect this one's a Britishism.
Yes, C J, I said that in an earlier post (Feb. 16 - “I have a hunch the word is more common in England.”) Since the limerick is about Richard, and since Richard is British, and since he would most likely be drinking his ale in Britain, it seems that “dale” is entirely appropriate.

At least “dale” is a word. That’s more than I can say for your incredibly bad pun (even for you), “disafter”. And you rhymed it with “hereafter”. Those are the same words, with different prefixes.
Is that right? Remember when you first proposed we submit original limericks about each other? That was on Jan. 30. Remember your rules?

No mean-spiritedness (meaning I promise not to get nasty)
No scoring
No standings
No wagering

By the way, how's your arm?

Tinman

Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
Ah tinman, the damage you've done with that thoughtless post. Don't you realise the lengths we all go to to humour the old chap in his delusions ?
You do know that we're his only friends and that he agonises for hours about every one of his posts, don't you? All this talk of other friends and family that he has and his dwelling on past glories, it's clearly the deranged and confused ramblings of a poor sad fellow in the twilight of his years. Why he's even gone to the length of sock puppeting his imaginary friend TrossL so that we'll believe in his mythical popularity.
We all go along with his delusion and keep him happy but then along you come and criticise him.
How could you ?

Picture the poor old fellow, sitting down with his mug of hot chocolate, wearing his fingerless gloves, hunched and bent over his keyboard into the small hours of the morning - just seeking the comfort and solace of a few cyber-friends.
Imagine the long lonely hours that he endures between our posts.

Now you've gone and spoiled it all for him.
I wouldn't be surprised if he were crying in his bedroom at this very minute because he thinks nobody loves him any more.

[Edited to add : Oops, sorry - that should have been a private topic. Big Grin]

Vescere bracis meis.

Read all about my travels around the world here.

Posts: 9421 | Location: EnglandReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of shufitz
posted Hide Post
You know, a newbie coming onto the board might be intimidated, not knowing that the grading is good-spirited and the insults are Pickwickian. Confused

Posts: 2666 | Location: Chicago, IL USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of shufitz
posted Hide Post
quote:
As Princess, you do not outrank me.
For my comment, you really should thank me.
Still, I do not mind it.
There's no malice behind it.
I don't mind if you (verbally) spank me!

Oh, this has multifarious potential! Blushingly foregoing the malice/phallus rhyme, I'll confine myself to addressing CJ with my tongue in my cheekiness:

Your rankings ought not to appall us.
For I know that you speak without malice.
You claim to outrank her;
I say, without rancor,
You're surely the rankest of all us.

(PS: no rating please. Wink Thanks, CJ.)

Picture of Richard English
posted Hide Post
In England it's true we have dales,
and also we have leafy vales.
They're words of our time -
not simply for rhyme -
they're as real as our wonderful ales!

Richard English

Posts: 8038 | Location: Partridge Green, West Sussex, UKReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by shufitz:
You know, a newbie coming onto the board might be intimidated, not knowing that the grading is good-spirited and the insults are Pickwickian. Confused

My thoughts exactly.

Picture of shufitz
posted Hide Post
Says Richard:
not simply for rhyme -

What can we do with dales, vales, ales?

The US has Oakland and Dallas,
But such cities are hardly Valhallas.
"Pooh" to citified grime!
Your vales sound sublime,
So I say to you, "Brits uber alles!" Smile

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
quote:
Graham, CJ, Morgan,
Bob, Asa, Duncan,

Apologies to dear LadyBeth
Who probably wishes me death!
I forgot her name,
Give me the blame.
My mistake number ninetieth!

So sorry, LadyBeth--and after you started this wildly successful thread! Big Grin

Picture of Richard English
posted Hide Post
Indeed there is Evesham's fine vale
where Morgans are still made for sale.
There's Worcester's fine sauce*
and there's Elgar, of course
and don't forget Wyre Piddle's ale.

*In England "Worcester" is pronounced "wooster".

Richard English

Posts: 8038 | Location: Partridge Green, West Sussex, UKReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jerry thomas
posted Hide Post
That famous old preacher named Pugh
Preached alongside the Curate of Kew.
Aglay vestments revealed
He was in the right field
Of vision from Miss Morgan's pew.

~~~ jerry

Picture of C J Strolin
posted Hide Post
quote:

No, it’s not a perfect rhyme, but it is a rhyme.
In what universe? Sorry Kiddo, it's not a rhyme. All three words have a short O sound but that's it. "Cat" doesn't rhyme with "bag," does it?

It’s the best I could do.
No, it's not! That's just the point. If We thought this was the best you could do, We wouldn't have said anything. We really did think you purposely ended your limerick with such a clunk just to provoke good-natured regal wrath.

(hmmm... Better drop the "we" jazz when speaking to the commoners. Some of them seem to be particularly cranky lately.)

If you don’t like it, tough
Now, now. Mustn't be petulant.

How petty can you get!
Pretty petty. Believe it or not, I'm holding myself back here. Sensible rules are for your benefit.

By the way, your apostrophe is in the wrong place.
Quite right, I erred, as you did by forgetting the period after "If you don't like it, that's tough" Trifles, dear Tinman, trifles! (Granted, yours was more triffling than mine, but still...)

Since the limerick is about Richard, and since Richard is British, and since he would most likely be drinking his ale in Britain, it seems that “dale” is entirely appropriate.
Point conceded. Enough said. Let's move on to more elevating thoughts.

At least “dale” is a word. That’s more than I can say for your incredibly bad pun (even for you), “disafter”.
Technically, it was a play on words, not a pun. And anyway, what's wrong with puns?!

And you rhymed it with “hereafter”. Those are the same words, with different prefixes.
The same words?! Tinman, please! The same endings, obviously, but totally different words, one of which was, yes, concocted especially for this piece. Limericks allow (even encourage) this.
Is that right? Remember when you first proposed we submit original limericks about each other? That was on Jan. 30. Remember your rules?

No mean-spiritedness (meaning I promise not to get nasty)
No scoring
No standings
No wagering
Yes, I did set those rules but that was back before I became King. Rank does have its privileges. Besides, how often have we said "no competition" on this site only to have it break out anyway? We are all friends here, aren't we?
On Feb. 5 you broke your second rule and gave your first score, a B+ to Richard. You also, modestly, gave yourself an A+.
Modesty had nothing to do with it. "Heh, Heh, Heh." is a textbook A+. Study that superlative piece and it is my sincerest wish that your own efforts will improve.

By the way, how's your arm?
Tinman
Ready to pitch another nine innings, thanks for asking! TKHS

[This message was edited by C J Strolin on Fri Feb 21st, 2003 at 13:22.]

Picture of C J Strolin
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BobHale:
Ah tinman, the damage you've done with that thoughtless post.
Thank you, B.H., for your consideration, but rest assured that the regal skin is not as thin as all that.

...and that he agonises for hours about every one of his posts...
In all honesty, this is probably closer to the truth than what is healthy for me although it's largely due to me valuing the opinions and friendship of my fellow Wordcrafters as much as I do. I'm not just writing notes to the milkman, here. I do reread and re-edit my posts semi-obsessively as is evidenced by my more infrequent typos as compared to (sniff!) other less caring posters.

Why he's even gone to the length of sock puppeting his imaginary friend TrossL so that we'll believe in his mythical popularity.
Now, now. I tried this stunt with R.E. and (to use a favorite Americanism) got my ass caught in a wringer over it.

Picture the poor old fellow, sitting down with his mug of hot chocolate, wearing his fingerless gloves, hunched and bent over his keyboard into the small hours of the morning
Close, B.H., close. While formally possessing the body of a young Barishnikov, these days I'm actually a head in a jar of life-sustaining goo on a top shelf of a secret lab outside of Peoria, hence my reluctance to join the photo gallery. My contributions are posted completely via mental telepathy and massive will. (You were right about the hot chocolate, though. Yum!)

Picture of C J Strolin
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sarah:
quote:
Originally posted by shufitz:

My thoughts exactly.

For any contribution I have made to anyone's mistaken belief that we are a mean-spirited bunch (particularly to any newcomers to this site) I do very sincerely apologize. Occasional appearances to the contrary, we are not a rancorous lot.

If there is anyone here who sincerely believes this not to be the case, please point them out to me and I will have them flogged, thank you.

The King has spoken.

Picture of C J Strolin
posted Hide Post
quote:
Your rankings ought not to appall us.
(Thank you, at least somebody gets it!)
For I know that you speak without malice.
(YES! Thank you, thank you, thank you!)
You claim to outrank her;
(ah-huh... ah-huh... great meter so far...)
I say, without rancor,
(interesting rhyme! identical sound, different spelling. Now bring it home!)
You're surely the rankest of all us.
(Ba-BOOM! A perfect landing!! The crowd goes wild!!!)

(PS: no rating please. Wink Thanks, CJ.)
First class! You get a non-rated A++ and a special note in your official transcript under the heading of "Works well with others."

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
quote:
For any contribution I have made to anyone's mistaken belief that we are a mean-spirited bunch (particularly to any newcomers to this site) I do very sincerely apologize.

Thanks, CJ. One thing I like about this board is that people are willing to apologize. Sometimes even the most innocent remark can offend--I know, because I have at one time or another been offended, though I have always dealt with it either on the board or in private topics. Similarly, I have apologized when I have looked back and realized that I may have offended someone.

quote:
In England "Worcester" is pronounced "wooster"
Really, Richard? I sure wish that were the case here! Do you know how we pronounce it? I cannot even try to tell you because I have never pronounced it right!

Picture of C J Strolin
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Richard English:
not simply for rhyme -

FANFARE, PLEASE!!!
Trumpets! Drums!! Kazoos, what-have-you!!!

Richard has joined us and (pregnant pause...) IT IS GOOD!!! ("It" referring to the limerick, I mean, not Richard. I'm really doing my best not to piss anybody off here.)

Great meter, solid rhymes, good use of topical material (the "dale" question) plus the appropriate use of a nice introductory title. First rate all around!

I could quibble about the non-capitalization of some first words but readily concede the matter to be one of personal style and preference and, as such, beyond the scope of even this thread's humble monarch. And I suppose the beery punchline was unavoidable but I truly do not care! It's a winner!

Welcome back to the thread, R.E. An "A+"!

TKHS

Picture of C J Strolin
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
In England "Worcester" is pronounced "wooster"
Really, Richard? I sure wish that were the case here! Do you _know_ how we pronounce it? I cannot even try to tell you because I have never pronounced it right!

OK, So the Rooster is Actually the Logo of
Bantam Books, Not Simon and Schuster.
Consider it "Poetic License" Since There Just
Aren't That Many Rhymes for "-ooster"

According to Simon and Shuster,
(Whose logo is that of a rooster)
Around Boston when they
Will endeavor to say
"Wor-KESter," they say it as "WOOster."

Worcester Massachusetts, in the middle part of that state, is pronounced "Wooster." It is undoubtedly from this that the British got their pronunciation.

Picture of C J Strolin
posted Hide Post
Effective immediately, your gracious and glorious King will discontinue His grading of the limerickial contributions of His subjects. They, however, are welcomed to grade the works of each other or those of His Beloved Majesty.

Here's the deal, guys...

When I first announced my own Kingship, admitedly an act a bit more than slightly presumptous, my hope was that I would be challenged by a stream of interesting limericks (which has occurred) but not so much that this ridiculous pronouncement would prompt ill-will towards the "crown" itself which, apparently, it has. Somewhat, at least.

Anyway, it wasn't my intention to piss people off. I really did try to be constructive with my comments as if to turn this thread into a limerick writing workshop of sorts. Still, the greatest pleasure limericks provide is in the writing of them, not the reading or (worse) critiquing of them. I see that I may have inadvertently caused some Wordcrafters to hesitate to contribute.

Or maybe not. Maybe it's just my colossL ego (great line, Hic) talking.

Anyway, no more grading for me except to say A's to all who add their efforts to this thread from here on in.

The King has left the building.

Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
We'll cancel the favoured solution
Of a popular front revolution
There's no "et tu Bruté"
In the palace today
As the monarchy's in dissolution.

Vescere bracis meis.

Read all about my travels around the world here.

Posts: 9421 | Location: EnglandReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
"In England 'Worcester' is pronounced 'wooster'," says Richard.
"Really, Richard?" asks Kalleh. "I sure wish that were the case here!"
Yes, CJ confirms in a great limerick of his own.
-------------------

Indeed. Oddly-pronounced British place-names have generated many witty limericks. Here's an example using Worcester.

There once was a lady from Worcester
Who orcester crow loud as a rorcester.
She yorcester climb
Seven trees at a time,
But her sircester yorcester borcester.

And a less clean example with better scansion:
Sweet Hester of Leicester's young sister
(I gorcester her in Worcester and Bicester)
Was beautiful Julie;
I wooed her in Beaulieu
But mostly in Towcester I kircester.

Picture of Hic et ubique
posted Hide Post
Such a challenge shall not go unanswered!

There one was a lady from Worcester.
From her maiden restraint I unlorcester.
I wooed her, pursooed her,
Subdooed her and scrooed her,
Sedorcester, misyorcest and tradorcester.

(Ought I to have thus aborcester? Big Grin)

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by C J Strolin:
Technically, it was a play on words, not a pun. And anyway, what's wrong with puns?!

What's the difference between a play on words and a pun? The AHD defines a pun as a play on words. The M-W doesn't use the phrase "play on words", but I interpret their definition to mean just that. The OED'sdefinition agrees with M-W's, but adds "a play on words". The OED entry is worth reading. The first quote is fron 1662 (Dryden): "A bare Clinch will serve the turn; a Carwichet, a Quarterquibble, or a Punn". That gave me a bunch of other words to look up. One of the definitions of clinch is "A sharp repartee that twists or turns about the meaning of a word; a word-play, a pun. Also CLENCH" (OED 6). Carwichet is not in the OED, but carriwitchet and carwitchet are: "A pun, quibble; a hoaxing question or conundrum". A quarterquibble is "? a poor or weak quibble" and a quibble is "A play upon words, a pun" (OED 1).

But wait, I'm not done. More quotes:

Punning is not intirely banish'd from the pulpit... Some persons have alledged..that this pun-ick art is of divine institution. (Amherst, 1721)

It is no wonder that a punning monarch produced a race of punning and pun-admiring liege subjects. (Amherst, 1721-2)

Thomas Adams had as honest a love of quips, quirks, puns, punnets, and pundigrions as Fuller the Worthy himself. (Wesley, 1820) under pundigrion.

The Paronomasia or Pun, where a word, like the tongue of a jackdaw, speaks twice as much by being split. (Pope, 1727)

The *punlet, or pun-maggot, or pun intentional. (Coleridge, 1819)

[He] frequently laid pun-traps and quibble-springes of which he took advantage. (Moriarty, 1839)

Even Shakespeare's magic is not proof against the artillery of puns. (L'Estrange, 1870)

Other definitions:

paronomasia - A playing on words which sound alike; a word-play; a pun.

pundigrion - Obs. rare. A pun, a quibble.

punkin rare, punlet, a little pun

punless a., void of puns

punnage, punning

punnet - Obs. rare. ?A little pun. 1676-1820 [see PUNDIGRION].

punnic, punnical adjs., of, pertaining to, or characterized by puns

punnigram [after epigram], a punning saying or mot
punnology, the subject or study of puns.

M-W suggests pun may have come from the Italian puntiglio, fine piint or quibble, but the OED disagrees:

Note. Pun was prob. one of the clipped words, such as cit, mob, nob, snob, which came into fashionable slang at or after the Restoration. Longer equivalents, found a1676, were PUNNET and PUNDIGRION; the former app. a dim. of pun. It has been suggested that pun might originally be an abbreviation of It. puntiglio, small or fine point, formerly also a cavil or quibble (‘cavillazione, sottigliezza nel ragionare, o nel disputare’, Vocab. Della Crusca), a pun being akin to a quibble; and that pundigrion might perh. be a perversion, illiterate or humorous, of puntiglio. This appears not impossible, but nothing has been found in the early history of pun, or in the English uses of punctilio, to confirm the conjecture.

To answer your question, C J, there's nothing wrong with a good pun. I like good puns. The key word is good.

Sorry about the missing period. I'll take my flogging.

Tinman

[This message was edited by tinman on Fri Feb 21st, 2003 at 23:41.]

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BobHale:
Don't you realise the lengths we all go to to humour the old chap in his delusions ?

Delusions? Kings don't have delusions! Do they?

Tinman

posted Hide Post
quote:
For any contribution I have made to anyone's mistaken belief that we are a mean-spirited bunch (particularly to any newcomers to this site) I do very sincerely apologize. Occasional appearances to the contrary, we are not a rancorous lot.

Let me chime in here. I have no malice or bitterness toward anyone. As I've said before, I wouldn't pick on C J if I didn't know his skin was as thick as a rhino's. C J revels in abuse (verbal, not physical). You couldn't deflate his ego with a ball-peen hammer. When the King dies in fifty years or so, they'll need two caskets: one regular size for C J, and one extra-extra large for his ego.

All I said was in jest. There was a smidgeon of truth with copious hyperbole, but no anger. I wouldn't dare get mad at the King. He would beat me!

Tinman

[This message was edited by tinman on Fri Feb 21st, 2003 at 23:44.]

posted Hide Post
quote:
Effective immediately, your gracious and glorious King will discontinue His grading of the limerickial contributions of His subjects.

I have no objection to your grading, C J. I just wanted to catch you in an inconsistency (a foolish inconsistancy). I enjoy your analysis and grading of each limerick, though I imagine it's very time-consuming for you.

quote:
When I first announced my own Kingship, admitedly an act a bit more than slightly presumptous, my hope was that I would be challenged by a stream of interesting limericks (which has occurred) but not so much that this ridiculous pronouncement would prompt ill-will towards the "crown" itself which, apparently, it has. Somewhat, at least.

If you weren't presumptous, you wouldn't be C J. Keep your crown and wear it with piety and haughtiness. Long live the King!

quote:
Anyway, it wasn't my intention to piss people off. I really did try to be constructive with my comments as if to turn this thread into a limerick writing workshop of sorts. Still, the greatest pleasure limericks provide is in the writing of them, not the reading or (worse) critiquing of them. I see that I may have inadvertently caused some Wordcrafters to hesitate to contribute.

I don't think you pissed anyone off. I think some may have thought I was really mad at you from my post. I couldn't get mad at you!

quote:
Or maybe not. Maybe it's just my colossL ego (great line, Hic) talking.

ColossL. You got that right!

quote:
Anyway, no more grading for me except to say A's to all who add their efforts to this thread from here on in.

Keep on grading, and be brutally honest. We love this verbal jousting.

quote:
The King has left the building.

Hurry back.

Tinman

[This message was edited by tinman on Fri Feb 21st, 2003 at 23:46.]

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
CJ, your grading of my limericks didn't bother me at all, either. I agree with Tinman--I hope you hurry back. You give this thread spirit--and I love your limericks.

As far as "worcester", Hic, your limerick is great! Big Grin So--how do all of you pronounce "worcestershire sauce"?

[This message was edited by Kalleh on Sun Feb 23rd, 2003 at 12:49.]

Picture of jerry thomas
posted Hide Post
Using my "General American" dialect I say "wooster sheer sauce"

BTW I nominate Kalleh as Most Charming Member of this community.

Do we hear a second?