Wordcraft Home Page    Wordcraft Community Home Page    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Potpourri    Limericks Revisited
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Limericks Revisited Login/Join

Picture of C J Strolin
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kalleh:
CJ, I have to agree with TrossL; I also _compile_ my limericks--and we won't even mention the un-Godly amounts of time I've spent on the one _measly_ double dactyl I did!

Limerick writing is fun.
Double dactyls I truly do shun!
They drive me so crazy;
Perhaps I'm just lazy.
After all, I'm _not_ Lord Tennyson!

Regarding "compile/compose," I'm afraid that I must insist I am correct on this point as evidenced by B.H. and Tinman not chiming it to agree with you and TrossL. Were their noses not slightly out of joint over my proposed improvements to the OED (and out of the goodness of my heart, yet!) I'm confident they would have posted to support my view.

No matter. In the next OED, I'll try to include something along the lines of "by many, the two words are used interchangebly" and, in the meantime, feel free to do so as you see fit with my royal blessing.

Your limerick rates another "B+" though I think it could have been improved by altering the 1st line to "While limerick writing is fun," with the comma (in place of the period) linking the first two lines to make one fluid thought. The meter dictates that you must pronounce the last line's name as "LORD tennySON" which some might object to but lord knows I'm easy to get along with.

The King has spoken.

Posts: 1517 | Location: Illinois, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of C J Strolin
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TrossL:
Kalleh, your dactyl's delicious.
And you thought you'd sleep with the fishes,
In meter and rhyme
You kept perfect time
You satisfied all of my wishes.
A "B+" Extra points for tasty 1st line alliteration and 5th line regal reference. Also, as one monarch to another, I heartily endorse the sentiment expressed. Minor points off for no 3rd & 4th line punctuation and incorrect same in line 2. Details, T., details!
So don't you stop writing those things.
You've just had a taste, spread your wings!
You'll find once you start,
It gets easier. Art?
If not, paper's good kindlings.
First 4 lines - "A" Last line - KLUNK! There's no such word as "kindlingS" Overall a "B" and again, text-wise, I agree.

Picture of C J Strolin
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jerry thomas:
This group is in terrible trouble
We're in danger of bursting our bubble
Dactyl clients out there
Say they want simple fare,
And most of our dactyls are double

No grade - Teacher's scrawl in upper corner, "See me."

Rhymes - perfect.
Meter - perfect.
Text - "Huh?"

Our clients are clammoring for Single Dactyls??! As in, possibly:

Higglety
Joan of Arc
All burnt up,
Voices, she heard.

Might have been
Actually
Death and fame
That she preferred.

Gee, I dunno. I don't think this is going to catch on!

TKHS

Picture of TrossL
posted Hide Post

[This message was edited by TrossL on Thu Jun 5th, 2003 at 7:14.]

Posts: 784 | Location: Atlanta, GAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of C J Strolin
posted Hide Post
quote:
Wait a minute! I thought we were supposed to take artistic license, or chances, or whatever to make things rhyme. I _KNOW_ that the proper word would be kindling, but then it wouldn't perfectly rhyme, so I added an "S". Didn't you do sort of the same thing and purposefully misspell a last word a few limericks back???

I'm tempted to answer, "Yes, but I'm King."

But that would be the easy way out and, regardless of whether you tend to agree with my line of thinking or (more likely) not, I hope that I have at least established a reputation for not necessarily grabbing for easy answers.

Although the following may sound like quibbling, I swear it's not. The distinction I see is that the last line of your limerick gives the impression of being an error whereas the last line of my limerick ("And that, of course, would be disafter!") ended with a word which was obviously coined specifically for the purpose of humorously ending the piece.

And as I've ruled elsewhere, the absolute worst place for an imperfection in a limerick is in its last word. An otherwise fine piece which ends poorly is like a scruptious hot fudge sundae with a cat turd at the bottom. (Don't ask me how I know about this - suffice to say I grew up with some pretty cruel practical jokers in my family!)

Having picked that nit, may I add that I normally would have simply ceeded the point you make out of professional courtesy, one monarch to another, but am shocked (Shocked, I say!) to see that the seat of the double dactyl throne was barely warmed by your tush before you sprang up and went elsewhere!

A sad, sad day...

Picture of TrossL
posted Hide Post

[This message was edited by TrossL on Thu Jun 5th, 2003 at 7:13.]

Picture of jerry thomas
posted Hide Post
quote:
Higglety
Joan of Arc
All burnt up,
Voices, she heard.

Might have been
Actually
Death and fame
That she preferred.

Note to the Strolin Department ==>

Helterly skelterly
DoubleDactyliers
Pause to admire your
Forthright response;

Unique and singular
Lickin-good-fingular
Single dactyls just might
Yet have a chance.*

"chance" as in BritSpeak ??? Eek

Posts: 6708 | Location: Kehena Beach, Hawaii, U.S.A.Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of C J Strolin
posted Hide Post
quote:
Helterly skelterly
DoubleDactyliers
Pause to admire your
Forthright response;

Unique and singular
Lickin-good-fingular
Single dactyls just might
Yet have a chance.

It's official. The two threads are interbreeding. Since you posted it here, allow me to critique this fine work.

Overall, an "A-" (and, might I add, that I would not be so free with my highest grades as other pushover monarchs I could name might be!)

Strong points: "Lickin-good-fingular" is such an excellent coinage for "finger-lickin' good" to fit the DD format that one completely ignores the fact that greasy fingers have nothing to do with what you're talking about here. It's just a great word! Fine rhymes including an interesting lines 4 & 5 combo and a punchline which requires a British accent. Well done! Plus perfect meter in 7 lines out of 8.

Which brings us to the other side of the coin. This piece won't work exactly right unless you mispronounce "double dactyls," putting the stress as "SINGle dacTYLS just might" which isn't natural. For the last two lines, suggest "THIS fine new ART form might/JUST have a CHANCE." I would have made "DoubleDactyliers" (another fine coinage) two words and included the apostrophe after "lickin" but these are minor points.

All in all, one of your best yet.

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Oh, TrossL, I thought your mind had been made up about leaving the throne. I should have known since you're a woman--oh! oh! better not go there since I am purportedly a feminist (my daughter would die laughing if she were to hear that!)

At any rate, my dear, please stay as our fierceless leader in the D-Ds! We love you there, and your talent is inspirational. After all, had it not have been for you, I never would have tried one. Now, I walk around mumbling 6 syllable words. Shufitz is ready to scream!

Please stay as our beautiful Queen of the D-Ds!

[And, now I'm off to write an encouraging limerick! Wink]

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
TrossL, please stay as our queen!
Better has never been seen.
Your dactyls are great,
You beautifully rate.
Double Ds without TrossL...Obscene!

Picture of TrossL
posted Hide Post

[This message was edited by TrossL on Thu Jun 5th, 2003 at 7:10.]

Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
quote:

Now crank out a dactyl for me.
I'm waiting here, sipping my tea.---->(T.E.A.??)
No! Not Richard's brew,
That just wouldn't do.
After all it's just 10:23!

It's amazingly lucky that you wrote that when you did. After all just one minute later and it wouldn't have worked at all.
Big Grin

Vescere bracis meis.

Read all about my travels around the world here.

Posts: 9421 | Location: EnglandReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TrossL
posted Hide Post
quote:

It's amazingly lucky that you wrote that when you did. After all just one minute later and it wouldn't have worked at all.

Au contraire!

Now crank out a dactyl once more,
The waiting's becoming a bore.<---------(not sure of apostrophe rule)
I'll sit here and drink,
No, not what you think,
After all it's just 10:24!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: TrossL,

Picture of Richard English
posted Hide Post
That's perfectly accurate since the apostrophe here is one denoting omission. The full text would be "...the waiting is becoming a bore..."

Richard English

Posts: 8038 | Location: Partridge Green, West Sussex, UKReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
TrossL invites me to write
A dactyl, and I'm in a fright!
They're easy for her,
But for me---Grrrrrr!
I'll try it because I'm polite!

[note: the last line was going to be: "Remember, I'm not all that bright"--but I was afraid sweet CJ would deduct points for "self-deprecation". However, with dactyls, I am not all that bright. You should have seen my first drafts!

Picture of jerry thomas
posted Hide Post
TrossL's Limericks are showing her skill
At giving her audience a thrill
TrossL's taking the time
To make a good rhyme,
Saying, "Where there's a way there's a will."

~~~ jerry

Posts: 6708 | Location: Kehena Beach, Hawaii, U.S.A.Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of C J Strolin
posted Hide Post
quote:
TrossL, please stay as our queen!
Better has never been seen.
Your dactyls are great,
You beautifully rate.
Double Ds without TrossL...Obscene!

I too welcome back our Queen TrossL,
But note that our Kalleh, both docile
And sweet in support,
Did so quickly abort
Her position as J.T.'s apostle!

Your limerick, Kalleh, rates an "A" (but we're watching you...)

Picture of C J Strolin
posted Hide Post
quote:
Okay, as your Queen we will stay.
You can NOT make us go away.
We ever will grade,
Forgive our tirade.
We were having a really bad day.

Now crank out a dactyl for me.
I'm waiting here, sipping my tea.---->(T.E.A.??)
No! Not Richard's brew,
That just wouldn't do.
After all it's just 10:23!

Two strong "A-"s. The first would have been tremendously improved, rhythm-wise, by changing "go" in the second line to any two-syllable synonym stressed on the first syllable. Minor points off for inaccuracy in the second one, posting your 10:23 limerick at 7:20.

Overall, both well done as always.

TKHS

Picture of C J Strolin
posted Hide Post
quote:
TrossL invites me to write
A dactyl, and I'm in a fright!
They're easy for her,
But for me---Grrrrrr!
I'll try it because I'm polite!

[note: the last line was going to be: "Remember, I'm not all that bright"--but I was afraid sweet CJ would deduct points for "self-deprecation".
And I would have, too. And, in light of posts elsewhere specifically designed to injure royal pride, let's overlook the "I'm polite" assertion and go right to your grade which is another "A". Your improvement continues. In this one "Grrrrrr!" works best as three syllables which, I assume, is what you intended.

TKHS

However, with dactyls, I am not all that bright. You should have seen my first drafts!

Picture of C J Strolin
posted Hide Post
quote:
TrossL's Limericks are showing her skill
At giving her audience a thrill
TrossL's taking the time
To make a good rhyme,
Saying, "Where there's a way there's a will."

A strong "A" J.T. The stress in your limericks is always dead-on. Referring to Her Royal Highness as "Queenie" might strike some as a bit familiar but I'm sure our TrossL would not disapprove.

Picture of C J Strolin
posted Hide Post
quote:
There once was a woman whose thighs,
Were as strong as a wiseman is wise.
She took great delight,
In squeezing men tight,
If they satisfied her with their size.

Of course, we know size doesn't matter.
Whether it's shorter or fatter,
It's all how you move,
Once you get in that groove,
And neatness counts, try not to splatter!
Eek Wink

BA-BOOOM!!!

Oh, my God!! Is this an original??!! Since you don't say otherwise, I'm assuming that we are once again in the presence of genius! A definite "A+" and among the very best of anything posted on this thread. BRAVO, BRAVO, BRAVO!!

As I recall from our time together in Germany, besides being a very lovely and sensual woman, you had very strong thighs. Is this piece autobiographical? The mind reels!

The King (feeling faint) has spoken.

Picture of jerry thomas
posted Hide Post
This item, just in from Moline:
They've invented a pleasure machine.
Both concave and convex
It will fit either sex
And spatters are easy to clean.

Bumper sticker ===> Compatibility is coming together.

Picture of shufitz
posted Hide Post
Some have commented that this thread is so long that it takes quite a bit of time to load on their computers. So I've started a continuation thread over in "The Written Word".

Posts: 2666 | Location: Chicago, IL USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by C J Strolin:
Regarding "compile/compose," I'm afraid that I must insist I am correct on this point as evidenced by B.H. and Tinman not chiming it to agree with you and TrossL. Were their noses not slightly out of joint over my proposed improvements to the OED (and out of the goodness of my heart, yet!) I'm confident they would have posted to support my view.

That’s curious, C J. My not posting to disagree with you is “evidence” that you are correct? Couldn’t TrossL and Kalleh just as logically assume that my not posting to disagree with them is “evidence” that they are correct?

Since my not posting to disagree with you is “evidence” that you are correct, then my posting to disagree with you must be “evidence” that you are incorrect.

Your logic eludes me. Maybe if I don’t post a reply to a particular topic I have no strong opinion. Or maybe I have no interest. Or perhaps I just don’t have the time or inclination at the moment.

My not posting should not be construed as evidence of anything.

Now, to get to compile and compose. When I think of compose, I think of originality and creativity or, as M-W puts it, “to create by mental or artistic labor” (one of five definitions). Compile connotes to me an amassing of information or data from other sources. Words, as you must know by now, often have a variety of meanings, and compile and compose are not exceptional in this regard. They have several definitions and are often considered synonymous.

To me the words are distinctive: one expresses originality and creativity; the other does not. To others the words are synonymous. I may not agree, but that doesn’t mean they’re wrong.

As Humpty Dumpty said, “When I use a word, it means just what I choose it to mean--neither more nor less"

Tinman

PS. My nose is just fine, thank you.

Posts: 2878 | Location: Shoreline, WA, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of C J Strolin
posted Hide Post
Aha! So you DO agree with me! (Just as I had thought!)

A while back I officialy declared a cessation of the pulling of R.E.'s beard by a former Limerick King who shall remain nameless. The differing senses of humor of US vs. UK posters apparently lead to confusion and, possibly, occasionally to bruised feelings when my British brethern took far too seriously various little throw-away bits of semi-comedy that, I can't help but believe, my US audience saw differently. As I said before, I regret any unintended (favorite American expression coming up) case of the red ass that anything I've said might have caused.

In short, it was a joke. Of course I couldn't reasonably read any sense of your concurrence into your non-response on any topic. It's ridiculous and, as such, humorous. At least to me, anyway.

I have this mental picture of you and R.E. living some 150 years ago and reading "Jabberwocky" when it was first published. In this little daydream, you both are firing off angry letters to Lewis Carroll along the lines of "What is this gibberish?! My copy of the OED has no 'gyre, 'gabe,' or 'gallumph'! etc etc" and then on and on for three pages.

Now don't get me wrong (again), I do very much enjoy your posts and (usually) respect your point of view. I just don't want you to think of me as the complete idiot that my posts might lead you to think I am if you took every word as gospel.

You also may now consider your beard off limits as far as me pulling it is concerned.

I think.

For at least a while, anyway...

Picture of Hic et ubique
posted Hide Post
quote:
In short, it was a joke. It's ridiculous and, as such, humorous. At least to me, anyway. I have this mental picture ... firing off angry letters to Lewis Carroll along the lines of "What is this gibberish?! My copy of the OED has no 'gyre, 'gabe,' or 'gallumph'! etc etc" and then on and on for three pages.
This tolerance for imprecision coming from the man who rejects the almost-perfect rhyme? Wink

By the way, it's wabe, not gabe. And gyre is a perfectly good word, predating Carroll by three centuries. Wink

posted Hide Post
Hey guys....let's take this to the continuation thread here.

Posts: 1412 | Location: Buffalo, NY, United StatesReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
I just don't want you to think of me as the complete idiot that my posts might lead you to think I am if you took every word as gospel.

Of course I don't think of you as a complete idiot.

Tinman

Posts: 2878 | Location: Shoreline, WA, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jerry thomas
posted Hide Post
Incomplete idiots deserve
a grade that is held in reserve.
The world is replete
with idiocy complete;
"incomplete" doesn't fit on the curve.

~~~

Are organic chemistry students biodegradable ?

~~~ jerry

[This message was edited by jerry thomas on Mon Sep 29th, 2003 at 5:39.]

Picture of C J Strolin
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hic et ubique:
By the way, it's __w_abe,_ not __g_abe._
I was going on memory alone there which is always risky especially, it seems, in my case. My vorpal brain went snicker-snack and came up with the wrong word.

And gyre is a perfectly good word, predating Carroll by three centuries. Very interesting, not to mention more than a bit egocentric on my part to assume that I word I don't recognize as legitimate must be an invention!

And yes, M., I'll go back to the continuation thread. (A question just occurred to me, though. Might your nephews and neices, if any, refer to you as "Auntie M"??)

Picture of jerry thomas
posted Hide Post
There once was a Drug Czar named Bennett
Whose every remark was a tenet
His pomposity
Plus his hypocrisy
Outweighed the United States Senate

This was copied from the
Anderson Valley Advertiser

Picture of C J Strolin
posted Hide Post

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Yes, CJ, did you have something to say? Confused

Picture of Graham Nice
posted Hide Post
quote:
And G.N., is it GRAM NICE or GRAY-um NICE?

Gray-um. I only get called Gram by Germans and my stusents from China who call me Mr Gram.

Posts: 382 | Location: CambridgeReply With QuoteReport This Post