Wordcraft Home Page    Wordcraft Community Home Page    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Potpourri    Who's funnier?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Who's funnier? Login/Join

posted
After reading a collection of essays by conservative apologist Charles Krauthamer, many of which had me roaring with laughter, I got to thinking that many of the funniest writers are right-wingers. Bill Cosby comes to mind. Pat McManus is another, as is P.J. O'rourke. So what is it about right-wing attitudes that elicit so much mirth from the right and left alike?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Geoff,

Posts: 6171 | Location: Muncie, IndianaReply With QuoteReport This Post
<Proofreader>
posted
I didn't want to step on Geoff's post so I'll add this humorous editorial here for added levity. Seems this elected official threatened to sue the paper for using his name without permission.

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
What's really odd is that when one googles "conservative comedians" one gets all kinds of rants about a "liberal bias" in TV comedy, ignoring live and print media. So much for Google as a neutral search engine. Do the Koch brothers now own it?

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
quote:
After reading a collection of essays by conservative apologist Charles Krauthamer
I dislike him intensely, but I do force myself (and believe me it's all force) to read his columns regularly so that I can stay informed on both sides of issues. In all honesty, not once, not even once, have I ever found the old codger even close to being funny. Bill Cosby is okay, though he has never rocked my boat either.

Let's take Second City here in Chicago as an example. Many a liberal comedian came out of there (Alan Arkin, Joan Rivers, Harold Ramis, Bill Murray, Shelley Long, John Candy, Jim and John Belushi, Dan Aykroyd and many, many more all got their starts there), and they just crack me up.

I guess I am just liberal at heart.

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
<Proofreader>
posted
If George Carlin told a political joke, I would tend to laugh since he often mirrored my pint of view. But if someone like ( can't think of his name...used to do Monday Night Football commentary years ago and is on Fox often) told a joke on the same subject, it is unlikely I'd find any humor in his viewpoint.

Now it's driving me crazy... who is that comedian?

posted Hide Post
Dennis Miller?

<Proofreader>
posted
Ah, yes, the forgettable Dennis Miller.

Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Proofreader:
my pint of view.

I don't know if that was a typo or a subtle joke but either way I like it and intend to steal it. It may even be the title of my next poetry collection.

Big Grin

"No man but a blockhead ever wrote except for money." Samuel Johnson.

Posts: 9421 | Location: EnglandReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
Though on second thoughts... googling it brings up more than 300,000 results...

"No man but a blockhead ever wrote except for money." Samuel Johnson.

Posts: 9421 | Location: EnglandReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Really? That's so funny.

I am sure it was a typo, but I do like it.

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A typo? Proofreader? Hell no! Big Grin

<Proofreader>
posted
Me make a thypo? Never