Wordcraft Home Page    Wordcraft Community Home Page    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Potpourri    I've half a mind to learn Arabic!
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I've half a mind to learn Arabic! Login/Join

posted
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-11181457

It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society. -J. Krishnamurti

Posts: 6171 | Location: Muncie, IndianaReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The Arabic script is cursive, a lot like the English cursive alphabet. With English cursive, depending on who's doing the writing, some letters are only distinguished by a dot. I wouldn't be surprised if the same results were found for people reading English cursive.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: goofy,

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
I see your point, goofy. Have you noticed, though, how very few people use cursive these days? I know part of it is due to the computer, but also people seem to be printing more, rather than writing. I wonder why.

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Do students even learn cursive anymore?

Jabal al-Lughat comments on the BBC story.

Picture of zmježd
posted Hide Post
I know part of it is due to the computer, but also people seem to be printing more, rather than writing. I wonder why.

I learned cursive writing at home before going to school In second grade my teacher stopped me from writing cursive because we had not learned it yet. As a result, I use a half print, half cursive fusion to this day.

Ceci n'est pas un seing.

Posts: 5148 | Location: R'lyehReply With QuoteReport This Post