Wordcraft Home Page    Wordcraft Community Home Page    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Potpourri    I shall be writing a letter.
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I shall be writing a letter. Login/Join

Picture of BobHale
posted
On Sunday I taped the TV program "The Adventure of English" which has begun its second series intending to show how English spread around the world.
Tonight I watched it. Everything was fine right up to the point where Melvyn Bragg repeated the unfounded and erronious story of the origin of "nitty gritty" (which we have discussed before.)

Not only is there not one reputable authority that agrees with the story that it refers to the detitus in the hold of a slave ship but there is no recorded use of the term before 1956 which makes this explanation remarkably unlikely.

Up to that point I had been watching and listening attentively as Melvyn Bragg is a serious broadcaster and the program an interesting one. Unfortunately after that I started to find myself doubting the origins of other words and my confidence in the program was completely undermined.

I intend to write to the TV company and ask why they chose to repeat this particular origin which was widely and publicly debunked in the press more than six months ago.

Glaubt es mir - das Geheimnis, um die größte Fruchtbarkeit und den größten Genuß vom Dasein einzuernten, heisst: gefährlich leben.
- Friedrich Nietzsche

Read all about my travels around the world here.
Read even more of my travel writing and poems on my weblog.

Posts: 9421 | Location: EnglandReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Oh yes, Bob, I remember my faux paus with "nitty gritty" on this site!

I think that particular origin, though not accurate, is referred to because it is rather sexy. Remember, my post here cited that same inaccurate origin, and thanks to Bob, I learned the truth. Yet, that information came from a book on words--one that is well-respected and one that I had trusted, as well.

It just goes to show how important it is to be skeptical about everything you read or hear.

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Richard English
posted Hide Post
I wish you luck, Bob, with your letter. In my experience the otherwise excellent BBC is probably just about the worst correspondent I have ever dealt with.

Rarely do they even have to good manners to reply to letters, whether they be complaints, compliments, requests or offers.

Just about the only way to get a letter published in the Radio Times, it seems to me from my observations, is to write something sycophantic

Richard English

Posts: 8038 | Location: Partridge Green, West Sussex, UKReply With QuoteReport This Post