Wordcraft Home Page    Wordcraft Community Home Page    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Potpourri    Words for discussion
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Words for discussion Login/Join

Picture of Kalleh
posted
Upon entering my conference this morning, we were assigned to tables, based on supposed rare words. I say supposed because, while I only knew one, I imagine some of you will know more and will be able to identify the theme. How many do you know?

Txangurro
Bresaola
Culatello
Kalbi
Nursehound
Unagi
Abbacchio
Sarawa
Quahog

[corrected misspellings]

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Kalleh,

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
I recognised three as culinary terms. Is that what they all have in common?

I especially recognised unagi because of the episode of Friends where Ross is trying to teach Rachel and Phoebe to be aware of danger and they ask him what Japanese eels have to do with it. Big Grin

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Posts: 10940 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of zmježd
posted Hide Post
I only recognized three, too: galbi, unagi, and quahog for a Korean dish, freshwater eel, as opposed to anago, sea eel, and a kind of oyster. (I have had all three.) Looking up the others, I see that txangurro is misspelled, and I know bresaola from its German name, Bündnerfleisch.

Ceci n'est pas un seing.

Posts: 5148 | Location: R'lyehReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yes, I think they are all food terms. Unagi and quahog were the only two I recognized. Unagi is Japanese fresh water eel. I don't know if it is a generic term or refers to a particular species of eel. I recognized quahog when it was posted earlier. It's a New England hard-shell clam. The name is derived from Algonquian (spoken by the Narragansett). I remember at the time of the posting thinking that I would point out Washington's geoduck (pronounced gooey-duck), but I never did --til now. Here's what the Word Detetective has to say about it.

Tinman

Posts: 2878 | Location: Shoreline, WA, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Yes, Arnie, the theme was that they are food words. And, wouldn't you know, I forgot the word at my own table: "Rascasse" I had tried to figure that out by the root (much like Arnie does in the bluffing game). I failed miserably, to say the least.

I only knew "quahog." I should have remembered "unagi," though, Arnie...you are right! Roll Eyes

I corrected the misspellings...thanks, Zmj!

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post