Wordcraft Home Page    Wordcraft Community Home Page    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Potpourri    Washing up
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Washing up Login/Join

Picture of arnie
posted
My newspaper published a letter today - a woman's three-year-old granddaughter kept asking her if she could be allowed to "wash up"*, but was told repeatedly that she was too young. Eventually the woman found out that she'd actually been asking if she could "watch Up!", the Disney/Pixar movie, on DVD.

* This shows the UK/US English divide. In the UK, "washing up" refers exclusively to the cleaning of dishes, pots, pans, and so on. We'd normally say "having a wash" or just "washing" when talking about washing ourselves.

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Posts: 10940 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wordmatic
posted Hide Post
This is such a sweet story, Arnie. Around here, we hate to "wash up," but we love to watch Up! We especially love Doug, the golden retriever.

In the U.S. what you call "washing up liquid," we call "dish detergent." I first became aware of this difference in terms when visiting my sister and her (now) ex-husband while he was doing a study leave at Oxford in the '90s.

I hope the grandma let her granddaughter watch Up! after all that confusion.

WM

Posts: 1390 | Location: Near Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
<Proofreader>
posted
My brother used to think "wash up" meant put on more deodorant.

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Richard English
posted Hide Post
In the training world, "wash-up" means the finalising of a training course - handing out certificates, collecting the bits and pieces, putting away the equipment, etc.

Richard English

Posts: 8038 | Location: Partridge Green, West Sussex, UKReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have long thought that "washed up" meant past the point of usefulness.

It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society. -J. Krishnamurti

Posts: 6171 | Location: Muncie, IndianaReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
WM, have you ever seen "wash up" mean to wash up for dinner? That's what we used to call it.

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wordmatic
posted Hide Post
Oh, yes, "wash up" could mean "go wash your hands before coming to the table," but it didn't mean "do the dishes."

WM

Posts: 1390 | Location: Near Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
<Proofreader>
posted
Seeems to me I"ve heard the term used at least once or twice to mean go to the bathroom.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Proofreader:
Seeems to me I"ve heard the term used at least once or twice to mean go to the bathroom.

It seems eminently reasonable to me to wash (or even bath) in a bathroom.

Richard English

Posts: 8038 | Location: Partridge Green, West Sussex, UKReply With QuoteReport This Post
<Proofreader>
posted
I was using a euphemism to avoid saying shit.

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
quote:
Isn't that more like, "I've got to go powder my nose"?

Picture of wordmatic
posted Hide Post
Or "freshen up," to avoid saying "tinkle!"

WM

Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
We've remarked before several times on the huge number of euphemisms used for emptying one's bladder and/or bowels. See here, for example. Probably the only activities that attract similar numbers of euphemisms are having sex and getting drunk.

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Picture of wordmatic
posted Hide Post
Never heard of "off for a Jimmy" before. Over here, to "Jimmy" means to pry open.

Wordmatic

<Proofreader>
posted
Hereabouts "Jimmies" are sugar dots of chocolate that you dip an ice cream cone into.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wordmatic:
Never heard of "off for a Jimmy" before. Over here, to "Jimmy" means to pry open.

Wordmatic

A "Jimmy" is Cockney Rhyming Slang derived from "Jimmy Riddle" = "piddle".

The verb in the UK from prying something open comes from the noun for the tool used for the job - a jemmy.

Richard English

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Or, here, you could "jimmy" a lock.

Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kalleh:
Or, here, you could "jimmy" a lock.

We'd normally say "jemmy" in that case, as Richard said..

Picture of wordmatic
posted Hide Post
Kalleh, I guess we corrupted their "jemmy" into a "jimmy." I've never heard of a jemmy, which I will now have to look up.

It says "variant of jimmy, chiefly British." And that a "jimmy" is a short crowbar with curved ends. That's the American Heritage Dictionary.

WM

posted Hide Post
According to the OED Online, Jemmy is a pet name for James. Jimmy is “dialect and colloquial pronunciation of jemmy n." A Jemmy is also “a crowbar used by burglars, generally made in sections screwing together.” It's also called a Jemmy Rock or James. I couldn't find anything that said why a crowbar is called a jemmy, but I wonder if Jemmy Rock is rhyming slang, perhaps something like, “Break the lock with Jemmy Rock.”

Posts: 2878 | Location: Shoreline, WA, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
Apparently it's named for a character in an O Henry short story and the play and film based on that. See the Wikipedia entry for Alias Jimmy Valentine.

The Wikipedia page for Crowbar says "The term jemmy or jimmy (named for a fictional burglar*) most often refers to the tool when used for burglary."

* This is a link to the Alias Jimmy Valentine page.

posted Hide Post
Certainly all the references I have seen refer to "Jimmy Riddle" as the origin of the Cockney slang term, although I have been unable to find out who Jimmy Riddle was.

Either his fame has now been eclipsed - as for example, that of the jockey Todd Sloane (whose name was the origin of the CRS phrase "on his tod" meaning "on his own") or as this site suggests - http://www.phrases.org.uk/meanings/211900.html - he never existed.

Richard English

Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
There was apparently an American country musician named Jimmy Riddle (1918-1982) but he can't have been the eponymous Jimmy as the phrase existed before he was born. However, if he'd known about the Cockney rhyming slang use of his name I expect he'd have changed it!

posted Hide Post
Jimmy Riddle is rhyming slang for piddle. This site says it was coined in the "late 19th century." The OED's first citation is from Eric Partridge's 1937 A Dictionary of Slang and Unconventional English.

Jimmy Valentine was a fictional character in O. Henry's short story, A Retrieved Reformation, published in 1909. Jemmy Rock was mentioned in an 1811 citation in the OED:
quote:
1811 Lexicon Balatronicum, Jemmy, a crow‥much used by house~breakers. Sometimes called Jemmy Rock.

Lexicon Balatronicum (The Dictionary of the Vulgar Tongue) was written by Captain Francis Grose in 1811. You can see this predates both Jimmy Riddle and Jimmie Valentine.

Posts: 2878 | Location: Shoreline, WA, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post