Wordcraft Home Page    Wordcraft Community Home Page    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Potpourri    Linguists' Video
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Linguists' Video Login/Join

Picture of wordmatic
posted
This video was posted on the Language Hat blog and showed up in my RSS feed today. Thought some of you would get a kick out of it.

Wordmatic

Posts: 1390 | Location: Near Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
That's brilliant.
As I just posted on my blog, I had been intending to join the campaign to get John Cage's 4:33 as the Christmas number one single but I think I'd like to see this there instead.

"No man but a blockhead ever wrote except for money." Samuel Johnson.

Posts: 9421 | Location: EnglandReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
That is great, WM! BTW, it is nice to see you back. We have missed you.

I posted it to my Facebook page, Bob. But the Blog idea is a good one, too.

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wordmatic
posted Hide Post
Kalleh, I saw your post on FB, and Bob, that is a great idea. Even my husband loved this video, and he doesn't even follow anything about linguistics.

Wordmatic

Posts: 1390 | Location: Near Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
I've already posted it on my FB page, along with a suggestion that we start a new FB group to get it to No. 1! I've got one "Like", from CW.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: arnie,

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Posts: 10940 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
I guess I am behind the time with Facebook. How do you make something number 1?

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
There's always a big fuss round about now because the music companies release the the recordings they figure will get to number one in the charts at Christmas. Because a lot of people are buying recordings as presents the sales volume is greater than at other times of the year.

There was a campaign on Facebook a couple of years ago to get a song by a virtually unknown band to number one in the charts at Christmas, and it succeeded, much to the annoyance of the music industry. I can't remember now who the band was, but I do remember I thought the song was dire.

There are at least two Facebook campaigns going on to get music to number one in the Christmas charts that I know of. One is for John Cage's 4'33", and the other is for The Pogues' Fairytale of New York. Almost certainly there are others.

EDIT: The band last year was Rage Against the Machine

This message has been edited. Last edited by: arnie,

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Posts: 10940 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of zmježd
posted Hide Post
One is for John Cage's 4'33", and the other is for The Pogues' Fairytale of New York.

Both of them excellent pices. The Pogue's song is one of my favorite, and I even have a cover version of it in the Cologne dialect of German, Kölsch.

Ceci n'est pas un seing.

Posts: 5148 | Location: R'lyehReply With QuoteReport This Post