Wordcraft Home Page    Wordcraft Community Home Page    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Potpourri    Changing Times
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Changing Times Login/Join

Picture of shufitz
posted
How times change.

These are the very first words of a 1969 book, The Human Zoo by Desmond Morris (who is better known for The Naked Ape):
    When the pressures of modern living become heavy, the harassed city-dweller often refers to his teeming world as a concrete jungle. This is a colorful way of describing the pattern of life in a dense urban community, but it is also grossly inaccurate, as anyone who has studied a real jungle will confirm. Under normal conditions, in their natural habitats, wild animals do not mutilate themselves, masturbate, attack their offspring, develop stomach ulcers, become fetishists, suffer from obesity, form homosexual pair bonds, or commit murder.
This was of courses meant as a provocative, attention-getting opening. But what struck me was this:

Who today would include masturbation and homosexuality in a list of symptoms of aberrant society, right up there with self-mutilation and murder?

Posts: 2666 | Location: Chicago, IL USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
quote:
Under normal conditions, in their natural habitats, wild animals do not mutilate themselves, masturbate, attack their offspring, develop stomach ulcers, become fetishists, suffer from obesity, form homosexual pair bonds, or commit murder.

He's also wrong here. I'm no naturalist but I know that many monkeys and benobos masturbate. Several animals attack their offspring, and also commit murder. I have also heard that there are pairs of homosexual penguins.

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Posts: 10940 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
<Proofreader>
posted
quote:
I have also heard that there are pairs of homosexual penguins.

But they were only acting out against their parents.

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
quote:
I'm no naturalist but I know that many monkeys and benobos masturbate. Several animals attack their offspring, and also commit murder. I have also heard that there are pairs of homosexual penguins.
I don't know about penguins, but I've seen monkeys masturbate in zoos.

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post