Wordcraft Home Page    Wordcraft Community Home Page    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Potpourri    Absolutely nothing to do with language
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Absolutely nothing to do with language Login/Join

Picture of BobHale
posted
While researching materials for a science lesson I stumbled on this site.

OK, nothing to do with language but there are some very strange effects. Particularly check out the one called "rotating snake illusion".

"No man but a blockhead ever wrote except for money." Samuel Johnson.

Posts: 9421 | Location: EnglandReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of zmježd
posted Hide Post
Really cool, Bob. I had not seen a bunch of 'em.

Ceci n'est pas un seing.

Posts: 5148 | Location: R'lyehReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Richard English
posted Hide Post
I stopped watching it very quickly, not because of the illusions - I didn't even get to see them - but because if the profoundly irritating pair of eyes that followed my cursor. Although I understand that this is simply an electronically created device, I found it incredibly intrusive and rude and, had I bothered to stay on the site long enough to find a response facility, I'd have sent some very direct feedback to the course administrator.

Richard English

Posts: 8038 | Location: Partridge Green, West Sussex, UKReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
You could, alternatively, have clicked the "turn off eyes" button.

"No man but a blockhead ever wrote except for money." Samuel Johnson.

Posts: 9421 | Location: EnglandReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Richard English
posted Hide Post
I confess I didn't even look for it, so distracting did I find the eyes themselves.

Richard English

Posts: 8038 | Location: Partridge Green, West Sussex, UKReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ah, I remember when Xeyes first came out on the X windows system ... it was actually helpful in finding the little cursor on the large stipled background pattern. Good times.

Posts: 1242 | Location: San FranciscoReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of zmježd
posted Hide Post
Xeyes

Ah, good times indeed. I was surprised to see that Xeyes was first implemented for NeWS, which was developed by James Gosling of Java fame. Interesting.

Ceci n'est pas un seing.

posted Hide Post
Has anyone ever looked at Sapir-Whorf in the context of programming languages? Are Germans better at PostScript and Forth because they speak a postfix language?

Picture of zmježd
posted Hide Post
The constructed language Lojban was created to test, indirectly, Sapir-Whorf. I read a paper once that, seriously, suggested Sanskrit as an inter-language to be used in machine translation. Rather than go from language X to language Y, you'd go from X to Sanskrit and then Sanskrit to Y, to reduce the combinatorial explosion that the EU translation teams face these days. And, finally, Dijkstra's famous "GOTO Considered Harmful" letter to the editor (of the Transactions of the ACM) can be seen as a kind of argument against BASIC as ruining rather than nurturing beginning programs with bad language constructs.

Ceci n'est pas un seing.

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Bob, that was great! As far as the "moving eye," remember that irritating little wizard that used to flit around in Word?

zmj, remember on the chat when I said I understand about 50% of what you post here? That above post is outside of that 50%. Wink

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
I read a paper once that, seriously, suggested Sanskrit as an inter-language to be used in machine translation. Rather than go from language X to language Y, you'd go from X to Sanskrit and then Sanskrit to Y, to reduce the combinatorial explosion that the EU translation teams face these days.

If Britain would just withdraw from the EU they could make English the sole official language and everybody would be happy.

Picture of zmježd
posted Hide Post
I keep trying to imagine who the Finnish-Maltese translator must be.

Ceci n'est pas un seing.

Picture of zmježd
posted Hide Post
That above post is outside of that 50%.

Edsger Dijkstra was a famous Dutch computer scientist. In 1968, he wrote an open letter, ("Go To Statement Considered Harmful"), which became so famous that even today parodies and such appear of the form "X Considered Harmful".

Ceci n'est pas un seing.

posted Hide Post
Yeah, even when you have the syntax of a language absolutely nailed down there's still plenty of stuff for prescriptivists and descriptivists to argue about.

Picture of stella
posted Hide Post
Great link, Bob. The rotating snake is amazing! The moon illusion might look a bit tame but it's very real. I once took a photo of an absolutely humungous moon, hanging over someone's head - but in the actual print it was just a little pinhead!