Wordcraft Home Page    Wordcraft Community Home Page    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Potpourri    A new low?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

A new low? Login/Join

Picture of BobHale
posted
A news story that passed me by this week until it was mentioned on a new panel show this evening, was this.
Apparently I was wrong when I thought that "Deal or No Deal", thirty minutes of people choosing random numbers, was the absolute nadir for television quiz shows. Now Noel Edmonds has thought of a whole new level, a quiz show where the quizmaster is a monkey. The proposed title of the show (which hasn't actually been commissioned, but it's surely just a matter of time) is "Beat The Monkey", an unfortunate choice that was only emphasised by a slip by Victoria Coren, a panelist on the show where I heard about it, who referred to it as "Spank The Monkey".

I'll bet that when Steve Coogan had Alan Partridge desperately pitch the idea of Monkey Tennis to an unsympathetic executive he had no idea that his joke would soon seem sane by comparison to the ideas they really come up with.

"No man but a blockhead ever wrote except for money." Samuel Johnson.

Posts: 9421 | Location: EnglandReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
I can't view the YouTube, unfortunately. It says I either my JavaScript is turned off or I have an old version of Adobe's Flash Player. Perhaps my JavaScript is turned off because I tried loading Adobe Flash Player 10.0.45.2, and nothing happened.

I agree with you, though, about "Deal or No Deal." Heck, a monkey host might help things.

Love that word "nadir." I'd only seen it used in medicine, but how appropriate in this case.

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
It's on old one that I posted before anyway. Steve Coogan's comedy character Alan Partridge is a failed radio and television presenter who is, in this instance, pitching ideas for new shows to a TV executive. One of his ideas is Monkey Tennis.

Picture of Richard English
posted Hide Post
The last time I tried to load the Adobe update it crashed my system. I reloaded it but now I can't print .pdf documents as, whenever I try, Windows shuts down "to protect my system".

I suspect that there is a bug in the new version of Adobe - but you'll never get them to admit it, of course!

Richard English

Posts: 8038 | Location: Partridge Green, West Sussex, UKReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
quote:
The last time I tried to load the Adobe update it crashed my system. I reloaded it but now I can't print .pdf documents as, whenever I try, Windows shuts down "to protect my system".

They are two different programs. The one that crashed your system is Adobe Viewer, which is used for PDF documents. The one used for viewing YouTube videos is Adobe Flash player.

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Posts: 10940 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Richard English
posted Hide Post
I had to load them all as I have upgraded my OS. But something on the download caused the problems. I'm now waiting for my computer guru to come back and take out all the rubbish and reload.

Richard English

Posts: 8038 | Location: Partridge Green, West Sussex, UKReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BobHale:
It's on old one that I posted before anyway. Steve Coogan's comedy character Alan Partridge is a failed radio and television presenter who is, in this instance, pitching ideas for new shows to a TV executive. One of his ideas is Monkey Tennis.

The show is "I'm Alan Partridge". One of the funniest TV shows ever.

Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by goofy:

The show is "I'm Alan Partridge". One of the funniest TV shows ever.

I agree, but it is a show that splits opinion. Some people really can't stand it.

Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
As a matter of curiosity do the US board members know why "Beat (or even better Spank) the Monkey" is such an inappropriate title?

<Proofreader>
posted
Stands for masturbation

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Ah, I got it loaded. The problem was a new computer and it hadn't been loaded. Nice, Bob.

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BobHale:
I agree, but it is a show that splits opinion. Some people really can't stand it.

Yes, I have a friend who can't watch it because he finds the situations so embarrassing.