Wordcraft Home Page    Wordcraft Community Home Page    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Potpourri    Funny - if you know Greek mythology
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Funny - if you know Greek mythology Login/Join

<Asa Lovejoy>
posted
http://www.beautyexclusive.com/erisskincare.html?source=google
Suppose she hangs out with some guy named Ares, and tosses apples about?

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Caterwauller
posted Hide Post
Other than having the name, I don't see any reference to Dr. Eris being a real person - do you? The ad talks about Eris Labs, but no actual person like you'd see at the Mary Kay site, for instance.

You're right, Asa - this is funny!

"Happiness is not something ready made. It comes from your own actions.
~Dalai Lama

Posts: 5149 | Location: Columbus, OhioReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of zmježd
posted Hide Post
Greek Eris (in Latin Discordia) is the goddess of strife. She was the little sister of Ares (Mars) and started the Trojan War indirectly by lobbing her apple of discord into a divine wedding she wasn't invited to and screaming it was for the prettiest goddess attending. I've never heard her described as ugly. What is your source, Asa?

Ceci n'est pas un seing.

Posts: 5148 | Location: R'lyehReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of shufitz
posted Hide Post
quote:
I don't see any reference to Dr. Eris being a real person - do you? The ad talks about Eris Labs
"Dr. Irena Eris" (see Asa's link) sure looks like a 'created' name, because Irene and Eris were respectively the goddesses of peace and of discord. (cf. irenic - conducive to peace, and eristic - given to disputation.)

Nonetheless, it seems that the good Dr. Irena Eris is or was a real person, at least according to Business Week.

Posts: 2666 | Location: Chicago, IL USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
<Asa Lovejoy>
posted
quote:
Originally posted by zmjezhd:
I've never heard her described as ugly. What is your source, Asa?

I had read somewhere years ago that she was a "doggess" (Goddess kinda backwards), but didn't research it before posting. I just looked and did find this reference: "Although no one loves her, which is seen in that artists represent her as a most repulsive woman,..." on a site that showed a statue of her.
http://homepage.mac.com/cparada/GML/Eris.html

I had just assumed that being such a foul character, she had looks to match her disposition. Odd that the statue show her with an owl, which I thought was Athena's symbol. I'll look and see if I can't find more to substantiate her being uuuuuugly in form as wel as manners.

<Asa Lovejoy>
posted
Hmmmmmm... Now I wonder if she's any relation to Lilith.

Picture of pearce
posted Hide Post
Can't imagine what Asa was doing in a beauty exclusive website glorifying Dr Irena Eris's products.
But yes, it is amusing, and I enjoyed tracking down the tales of Eris, her little sister Ares, and the irresistable Lilith—if the pictures are anything to go by.

Posts: 424 | Location: Yorkshire, EnglandReply With QuoteReport This Post
<Asa Lovejoy>
posted
quote:
Can't imagine what Asa was doing in a beauty exclusive website glorifying Dr Irena Eris's products.

I happened upon it when I Googled Eris. No, Pearce, I'm not given to the wearing of beauty products - although some might say I should. Frown

Anyhow, after looking at some sites about Lilith, I can't totally dismiss the Jungian idea of a "collective unconscious" that resulted in both Eris and Lilith. Both seem to be similar "dark side" personages. I don't think they have a direct cultural or etymological tie-in, however.