Wordcraft Home Page    Wordcraft Community Home Page    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Potpourri    Slip of the tongue?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Slip of the tongue? Login/Join

Picture of BobHale
posted
I'm not sure if it was a slip of the tongue or a deliberate attempt at humour (though the unsmiling delivery suggests the former) but I heard Geroge Osborne* interviewed today talking of Gordon Brown's "financial incontinence". Talk about pissing it up the wall!

(* For those unfamiliar with British Politics, George Osborne is the Consersavative Shadow Chancellor of the Exchequer. That means that he is in the pretend Government that the party out of power forms ready for the possibility that they win the next election.)

"No man but a blockhead ever wrote except for money." Samuel Johnson.

Posts: 9421 | Location: EnglandReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
I heard parts of that interview (Andrew Marr show?) and I think he was serious and the choice of words was deliberate. He was talking of Brown's waste of our money and lack of control.

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Posts: 10940 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
<Asa Lovejoy>
posted
Analogous to our former President Regan's "Trickle- Down Economics," I suppose.

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
It's an interesting phrase. I see that it's cited 347 times only on Google, mostly from the UK.

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post