Wordcraft Home Page    Wordcraft Community Home Page    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Potpourri    Great libraries
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Great libraries Login/Join

Picture of Kalleh
posted
There was an excellent article in the USA Today today (yes, sometimes it has good articles) about the 10 best libraries in the US. I know Tinman is always touting his in Seattle, and it's on the list. The one in LaJolla, where Dr. Seuss is honored, sounds wonderful. Sorry, CW. Columbus's isn't listed: Link

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The King County Library System was founded in 1942. From their website:
quote:

KCLS surpasses the busiest library in the U.S. (Queens NY) with 22.4 million items checked out. In collaboration with other libraries across the U.S., KCLS transitions from a proprietary Integrated Library System to an open source system called Evergreen. The catalog records 84.5 million visits and www.kcls.org receives 31 million hits. The new Federal Way, Sammamish and Lake Hills Libraries open to record crowds.

The loan period for books is 28 days. Nancy Pearl, retired Seattle librarian and author of several books, including Book Lust, pointed out that if the loan period were only 14 days, as it is at many libraries, the circulation would be even higher.

Posts: 2878 | Location: Shoreline, WA, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
<Proofreader>
posted
The library at Alexandria was always my favoorite but someone burned it down since my last visit./

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Tinman, the Seattle Library looks beautiful. I'd love to visit it.

I always enjoy visiting libraries (and art museums) when I travel.

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post