Wordcraft Home Page    Wordcraft Community Home Page    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Potpourri    The Establishment
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The Establishment Login/Join

posted
kalleh asks what is it, a question that deserves a thread of its own. It is the combined force that controls and exploits the little guy and includes much of the Political Realm, the Church, the Media, and Big Money

It is hard to define but Lou Dobbs' War on the Middle Class is only a small part part of it. A notable example of its work is the ongoing rape of the environment, including the recall and destruction of the electric car. It is largely anti-science and as I had said, opposes any form of progress that doesn't yield it a profit or weakens its power

Some of its machinations include a subject dear to my heart, the debauching of the Mother Tongue, typically stretching it beyond recognition. For example, bribery is excused by calling it "campaign contribution," or "free speech"; while the construction of a vast new garbage dump is called "land reclamation"

It is responsible for Political Correctness carried to ridiculous extremes, eg, if you should criticize some facet of the American Character you will be accused of unpatriotism; if you use "Muslim" in the same sentence with "terrorism" you will be accused of religious bigorty

But don't get me started

This message has been edited. Last edited by: dalehileman,

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Just as I thought in the other post...this is your personal definition, and certainly not mine.

But never mind. We all have our own personal definitions. I suspect, for example, that Wordcrafters' definitions of "prescriptivists" are different from the true meaning. We (I include myself here) seem to call anyone a "prescriptivist" if he or she recommends something as little as a period at the end of a sentence ("Well, you still get the meaning without it!"). I am embellishing, of course.

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Richard English
posted Hide Post
The Establishment - a definition

"A body, or representative of a body, whose views differ from one's own and whom one can blame for anything that has happpened, or believes to have happened, with which one disagrees."

For example "It was the Establishment that arranged the recall and destruction of the electric car".

Richard English

Posts: 8038 | Location: Partridge Green, West Sussex, UKReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
k: Indeed, splendid persiflage

Rich: Well put. Everyone, let's have more

Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
Something formed for the express purpose of allowing young people in the 1960s and 1970s to have something to rebel against. It has continued in this role to the present day, taking on the part of target for almost all conspiracy theories.

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Posts: 10940 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post

posted Hide Post
Often abbreviated as TPTB, the Powers that Be.

Posts: 886 | Location: IllinoisReply With QuoteReport This Post