Wordcraft Home Page    Wordcraft Community Home Page    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Potpourri    It's enough to make you sick
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

It's enough to make you sick Login/Join

<Proofreader>
posted
Learned a new word today -- nocebo -- which I never knew existed.

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yeah, I heard it before, but a nocebo effect of taking aspirin has made me think I had forgotten it.

It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society. -J. Krishnamurti

Posts: 6171 | Location: Muncie, IndianaReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Good word, Proof! And, it reminds me about that fabulous Boing Boing Blog. I'll add it to our thread on good blogs. I have a special affection for them because they printed one of my OEDILF limericks once:

The arteries carry the blood;
Without them our bodies would flood.
They're elasticized — sorta;
The chief's the aorta.
If it ruptures, that's all for you, Bud!

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A nocebo (Latin for "I will harm") is something that should be ineffective but which causes symptoms of ill health. A nocebo effect is an ill effect caused by the suggestion or belief that something is harmful. The term 'nocebo' became popular in the 1990s. Prior to that, both pleasant and harmful effects thought to be due to the power of suggestion were usually referred to as being due to the placebo effect.

The English had hit upon a splendid joke. They intended to catch me or to bring me down.
(Manfred von Richthofen-The Red Baron)

Posts: 6 | Location: United StatesReply With QuoteReport This Post